For Those Thinking About Propane

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 2:39 pm

As usual I knew just enough to get into trouble or should I say just enough to know I don't know anything. :oops:

Kevin

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 2:45 pm

Instead of burning all that gas off why not just turn the valve & cap the well until they need it? Why keep drilling new if you can't handle what you already have? :?
The pressure is too great Sam. I remember a well blowing out, an uncommon thing nowadays in Texas. Much of the massive pressure has been relieved by previous drilling. So you don't see geysers like the old movies of the oil days. After I left the drilling rig I was on, it had a blowout and blew the pipe out of the hole. :shock:
I have been told the oil in the Middle East still flows out of the ground with out pumping, not sure if this is true. I have seen pictures of pipes 6 ft. across coming up out of the sand and flowing oil, no pumping. Something has to be pressurizing it.
The deeper we go to access oil, the greater the pressures.

Kevin

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 3:36 pm

I was thinking that might be the case but after capping that one in the Gulf under water you would think they could do something. The very least of which would be to stop drilling if they don't have the market yet.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 8:45 pm

bottom line= both oil and propane suck :mad:

jubileejerry
Baseburners & Antiques: Wehrle Acme Sunburst 112, Hot Blast wood/coal burner

Post by jubileejerry » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 9:16 pm

An old friend of mine drives a schoolbus for the Omaha, Ne. system. The company he drives for decided to go green last year and bought a huge fleet of propane-powered school buses made by the Bluebird Bus Company. They are easy to spot because the bird on top is green. He said they only get about 2-3 mpg running around the city, and have to be refueled every other day. I don't remember if he told me the fuel tank capacity. The next time I talk to him I want to ask him if the company contracted for enough fuel at a set price before the school year started or if they are paying the going rate now. I sure hope they had it contracted. I'm guessing they are wondering if they made the right move with these buses. Jerry

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post by Carbon12 » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 9:17 pm

Imagine the cost of propane with road tax added on??? :shock:

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Wed. Feb. 05, 2014 12:55 am

The Blue Bird website says you can order the bus with either a 67 or 98 gallon propane tank. They also have a natural gas engine available. The propane Ford made engine puts out 362 HP compared to 200 HP for the diesel.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”