harman ST8-VF8 stocker stove

Re: harman ST8-VF8 stocker stove

PostBy: McGiever On: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:55 am

Too short of strokes would be one reason for not moving up incline.
Stroke distance is adjustable until "fork" or "loop" becomes spread open some, then no amount of adjusting will be enough. The internal measurement needs to be as mfr'd.

If as I suspect, jeeper's alum. block was a previous owners remedy to a destroyed original block, it is not of accurate dimensions, and is allowing coal to be wedged around under sized spacings of edges.
McGiever

Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN MAGNUM
Hand Fed Coal Stove: RADIANT HOME AIR BLAST
Baseburners & Antiques: OUR GLENWOOD 111 BASEBURNER "1908"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE, NUT-STOVE / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

PostBy: jeepers64 On: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:49 pm

Hi Horace thanks for the get back. the Harman stove had to be put on hold, I'm falling to far behind on other projects. with your input along with McGiever I'm convinced that the problem lies in the pusher block, I know that it is the wrong size and is a replacement for the original one .Also in the fact that this stove was not used for several years didn't help. ( rust, crud, pitting,etc.) It really needs a good overhauling. It is a good stove, everything works fine. (motors, blowers, pusher block fire pan, firebrick). And of course I never got the hang of the settings, which I also believe is another of my problems. All that being said, I have it put it on the side for now and am using my hand fire Pittston stove. If and when I get time I will get into it again and have a machanist friend of mine measure and machine a better fitting block. I am also thinking about putting it on craigs list and selling it. Any ideas what I should ask for it? I'm looking at all my options. Thanks again for all your help.
jeepers64

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: harman ST8-VF8 coal stoker stove

PostBy: McGiever On: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:49 pm

What it's worth? Not very much in its current condition.
Is not the pusher block the same as the Mag Stoker? If it is just buy one from a dealer or Jonas Hardware on ebay.
Yours does have the one piece grate and 3 windowed door, doesn't it?
McGiever

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

PostBy: CCS,Sr On: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:45 pm

Hey Guys(Horace,McGiever,jeepers)
Really enjoyed reading your posts. We recently purchased a Harman ST8-VF8 stoker stove. The guy we bought it from said it was 10 or 12 years old. Ha,Ha. I guess probably more like 25-29 years.
Per your instructions we cleaned up our pusher block and it was a real job!! The pusher rod couldn't be adjusted, and with the weather @ -10, this wasn't an option. We have a manual but it's for a Magnum, so It doesn't exactly "fit". If you have a diagram & parts list I would really like a copy.
CCS,Sr

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Verti-Flow Magnum ST8-VF8 - WHI-002448
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Hard Coal

PostBy: Horace On: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:54 am

CCS:

Welcome to the forum!

Check your Private Messages (little envelope at the top of the page.)

If you have any questions, please let us know and we'll try to get you going.
Horace

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman ST8-VF8 / Frankenstove

PostBy: jeepers64 On: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:28 pm

to new guy : CCS.Sr let us know how you make out. I put mine aside for now. never did get it on line. Horace and Mcgiever have been a big help in teaching me about mine. Great guys! know their stuff.
jeepers64

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: harman ST8-VF8 coal stoker stove

PostBy: Dieselinblood On: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:03 am

I recently purchased a used st8-vf8 and have a few questions. . . this is for heating my garage i have a 6 inch power vent good to 170000 btu's that was formerly used on a Kero boiler. Will this work with my coal stoker? does anyone have a manual for this stove? every thing apperars to be working and free but i want to disassemble it and clean and replace the gaskets.
Dieselinblood

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: harman st8-vf8
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: wood propane and kero

PostBy: McGiever On: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:03 am

Yes, 6" power vent can work.
You can download Magnum Stoker manual (not Super Mag)
There is a st8-vf8 manual floating around here, somewhere. :)
McGiever

PostBy: Horace On: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:54 pm

McGiever wrote:There is a st8-vf8 manual floating around here, somewhere. :)

I'm on it! Check your private messages, Diesel (envelope at the top of the page.)

Welcome to the Forum! I felt like I was the only one who had one of these stoves for a while; now it seems like they are popping up all over the place. It's a nice stove, puts out great heat. If you have any questions, please feel free to post them. I can't help you much with the power vent, but I'll certainly try to help with anything else.
Horace

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman ST8-VF8 / Frankenstove

PostBy: Dieselinblood On: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:41 pm

Thanks, the manual is going to be great on my first experience with these. I'm sure I will have questions as I have never burned coal before. Is there a co detector available that plugs in between the combustion fan and the control box? As the local fire chief co I would like to safe gaurd against that.

Thanks
Diesel
Dieselinblood

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: harman st8-vf8
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: wood propane and kero

Visit Lehigh Anthracite