Coffee 2-8-14

Re: Coffee 2-8-14

PostBy: lowfog01 On: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:01 pm

Freddy wrote: I just realized Lisa.... Your $4.57 per hundred is about double our 2.4%!!

Yep, just another way to stick to the poor. It's supposed to go to the roads but that's BS. The sales tax is also going to roads and the roads still stink. The taxes are why no one really retires here. Oh, they say there are a lot retirees are here but most of those are military retirees coming here for their second careers. After 20 years or so they retire for real and move to less expensive areas of the country. I know DK and I are already looking for a retirement location. Lisa
lowfog01

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I

PostBy: LsFarm On: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:37 pm

Just think how much money each wage-earner would have if they cut the size of government in half, and taxes in half, and from the taxes they only use it for infrastructure repairs for,, say three years.. If you were a government employee, you could get half your previous salary, or quit. but half of your previous salary would be like 3/4 of it since the taxes you pay would be considerably less !!

Anyway, about that '25 Pierce engine. It is from what I can see, original, never been overhauled. I was told by the son of the owner from 1951 until I think 2007, that his dad had sent the engine to Owl's Head Museum's machine shop for overhaul when they were restoring the car. I thought from the very good oil pressure, and the oil clearances I measured on #1 and #2 connecting rods when I first bought the car and dropped the oil pan for an inspection. The oil clearance was just about the same as new: .002" on a 2" rod journal.
But the engine still had the original thin-cast iron pistons, and they were VERY loose in their bores.. I could rock them back and forth with a screwdriver poked through a spark plug hole, The piston to cylinder clearance for iron pistons in an iron block is supposed to be .002".. these felt like ove r.010".. And the engine burned oil.

So, now that I have the pistons and connecting rods out, the cylinder block off the crankcase, the truth comes out.. The pistons have original type rings still installed, the pistons are worn down well below new size.. and the cylinders !! how about .012" taper !! UGH! so I don't think the engine ever had anything done to it but maybe having the valves lapped in.
But, this is a wonderful car, my favorite for most of the time. So I'll go all the way through it. Rebuild the engine to new specifications, with some modern style forged pistons with modern design rings. new exhaust valves, higher compression, etc..
The nice car will be even nicer with a fresh, powerful engine.

Here it is last year:
IMG_0974.JPG
(149.46 KiB) Viewed 20 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]48970[/nepathumb]

I'll get some engine teardown photos posted soon.

Greg L
LsFarm

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

PostBy: LsFarm On: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:00 pm

Here is the same make and model engine in a different car.

IMG_0820.JPG
(135.25 KiB) Viewed 15 times
[nepathumb]48974[/nepathumb]

IMG_0819.JPG
(142.75 KiB) Viewed 23 times
[nepathumb]48975[/nepathumb]
LsFarm

PostBy: Rob R. On: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:02 am

Greg, what is that canister mounted on the firewall? Looks like a sediment bowl on the bottom.
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

PostBy: Sunny Boy On: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:39 am

Rob R. wrote:Greg, what is that canister mounted on the firewall? Looks like a sediment bowl on the bottom.

Rob,

Vacuum operated fuel pump. You can see the vacuum line going from the top of the tank, down the front to the intake manifold. The line from the gas tank is coming into the top of the tank nearest the camera, and the line going to the firewall powers the vacuum wiper motor.

The motor's vacuum provides the power to pull the fuel from the gas tank into an inner tank in the vacuum pump with a float. When the inner tank fills up, the float trips a linkage that closes off vacuum to the tank and opens an outside vent( also in the top section). With the vacuum shutoff and the inner tank open to outside air pressure, the gas in the inner tank drops down through a flapper valve in the bottom of the inner tank, into the outer tank, and then on to the carburetor.

Mechanical fuel pumps didn't come into general use until the late 1920's.

And your right, that is a glass sediment bowl type filter under the vacuum tank at it's discharge line. Usually had a fine-mesh brass screen in the top of the glass bowl as additional protection.

Paul
Last edited by Sunny Boy on Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sunny Boy

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

PostBy: Sunny Boy On: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:49 am

Interesting aluminum cast air intake on that Stromberg carb. Much different then the later Pierce Strombergs.

And I see it has a mechanical primer to the intake manifold tee'd into the fuel inlet line. Very handy for when the car has been sitting for a long time ! ;)

Paul
Sunny Boy

PostBy: Sunny Boy On: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:55 am

And I see you treated the old girl to some new champion W18 spark plugs ! Trying to spoil her are ya, Greg ? :D

Paul
Sunny Boy

PostBy: LsFarm On: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:55 pm

Hi Paul, the engine I showed photos of is the engine in my '26 Derham Town Car, photo below.. That photo was taken about 30 minutes after I drove the Town Car home from it's previous owners place, about 45 miles away.. I hadn't had time to do anything to the old gal.
The carb on this car is the original Pierce carburetor, used for the 3 year run of the Series 80 cars. For 1928, with the introduction of slightly modified Series 81 engine, the carb was changed to a Stromberg O-3 or maybe it's an OE-3, I'll have to look. The Pierce-spec'd Stromberg had a similar strange 'mushroom cap' on the intake of the carb. Good for deflecting anything larger than a golf ball. but otherwise it didn't filter the air at all. just like the mushroom cap on the Pierce Arrow made carb.. It had an in cab mixture control like the 'big Pierce's carbs. And it used reed-valves to provide some mixture leaning at high speed.. it worked surprisingly well for what it was.. It is made of BRONZE.. it weighs about 25 pounds..
The primer in the intake is a wonderful device, so much better than just a choke. The primer has two holes, both pointing down the intake runner each way, When you pull the primer 'T' knob on the instrument panel, fuel squirts down each manifold and the engine fires imediately.. I may retro-fit my '15 Chandler with a primer, it's rather tough to get running when cold, the slightly strange 'Rayfield' carburetor is not good for cold starting. .

Here is a few photos of ' Miss Helen' Her car got named after her. I have the whole history of the car documented. Miss Helen willed the car to her life-long Chauffeur, he kept it for about 4 years then in exchange for 2 new Plymouth sedans, the Town Car went into a museum in Virginia untill 1997. In 1998 my buddy bought the car. I bought it from him 3 years ago.
The car has all it's original paint, interior, leather, everything is original to the car except for the exhaust system and a head gasket, The head was pulled and the valves lapped, valve springs replaced, had 3 broken.

Greg L

IMG_0809.JPG
(137.51 KiB) Viewed 11 times
[nepathumb]49059[/nepathumb]

IMG_0813.JPG
(142.44 KiB) Viewed 6 times
[nepathumb]49060[/nepathumb]
LsFarm

PostBy: Carbon12 On: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:18 pm

Sweet ride just doesn't seem appropriate. Gorgeous automobile! That'll do it!
Carbon12

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

PostBy: CapeCoaler On: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:48 pm

And when it rained...
Soft top or hard top for the driver...
CapeCoaler

Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

PostBy: SMITTY On: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:57 am

Great pics and info Greg! Thanks! 8-)

Amazing what the ol' timers could engineer. Nowadays GM can't even build an engine right - just saw some dude's '09 Silverado burning a quart every 200 miles .... :shock: Supposedly due to the AFM lifters. How in the hell does a lifter cause an engine to burn oil??? Must be the "new" design - sounds like a real winner!

I get to do upper control arms/ball joints on mine (66k miles - lowers failed at 38k miles ..) this spring.

Hope I get to tinker around with some early American vehicles one of these days. Sure would be a welcome change! :)
SMITTY

Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

PostBy: Sunny Boy On: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:49 am

Greg,
Interesting to see how the styling touches in your Derham limo differ from those of my fiancée's of only five years later design - a 31 Derham Berline limo. Even though the wheel bases are probably close (132 inch for her's), Derham really lowered roof lines and lengthened windows to make the body look longer. Yet they both share that large, blanked rear quarter.

Here's a few pix of her Berline when it was dragged out of a barn after 30 years of neglect and being a mouse hotel.

And here's a link to the first Derham I worked on, over 30 years ago.
http://www.franklincar.org/INFO/31spotsm.htm

Paul
Attachments
On the trailer.JPG
(173.88 KiB) Viewed 6 times
[nepathumb]49079[/nepathumb]
P5120552.JPG
(64.19 KiB) Viewed 4 times
[nepathumb]49080[/nepathumb]
The ladies together.JPG
(177.98 KiB) Viewed 7 times
[nepathumb]49081[/nepathumb]
Driv side doors open.JPG
(158.42 KiB) Viewed 6 times
[nepathumb]49082[/nepathumb]
interior, pass rear.JPG
(163.15 KiB) Viewed 7 times
[nepathumb]49083[/nepathumb]
Sunny Boy