Coal Shortage?

Forum rules
ATTN Coal Dealers: To advertise your company you're allowed to start one new topic in "Coal Prices, Coal Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries and Reviews". You may also respond to other topics started by others where your company has been mentioned and are encouraged to do so. Any other posts just for advertising here or anywhere else on nepacrossroads.com will be considered spam and removed. Repeated violations will result in a permanent ban.

Re: Coal Shortage?

PostBy: anthony7812 On: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:25 am

aseecobra wrote:Had 2 ton of rice delivered a week ago. Coal man said he was busy making lots of deliveries.

I'm pretty sure most any fuel type drivers will concur with being very busy. I haven't seen propane and fuel trucks floating around this much for a few years. It's been colder but hasn't been this cold for this long in a long time.
anthony7812

Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Nut/Anthracite

PostBy: lewis On: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:31 am

I'd prolly have somebody here in Pa buy a ton or Two bagged on pallets for like $280 ea. (maybe less for quantity) and put it out for bid on Uship.com .
lewis

Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: Old Model Magnum

PostBy: kstills On: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:59 am

lewis wrote:I'd prolly have somebody here in Pa buy a ton or Two bagged on pallets for like $280 ea. (maybe less for quantity) and put it out for bid on Uship.com .

Well, I'm in PA and my guy is on allocation and the other guy is out.

Personally, I'll be happy to see more folks burn coal to give the miners some business, however the transition to figuring out how much they'll need to inventory will be challenging.

Buy early! Took 4 tons in the summer, had one ton left when I took the last two in early Feb, so I wasn't hurting. The new folks who haven't had any exeperience ordering will be the ones getting hurt, and I do feel sorry for them.
kstills

Stoker Coal Boiler: WL 110
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

PostBy: Carbon12 On: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:12 am

It's my first year with my stoker boiler so I guesstimated how much I would need. It's going to be a ton or so over my estimate based on last years weather. I'm going to build a bin to hold an entire seasons worth. I've figured out how to move it from where they can dump it to where I can most easily use it. Local rental place rents skid steers with buckets for $150.00/day, delivered and picked up. 1 day rental, once or twice a year will work until I can scrape together $$$ for a good used Tractor with a bucket. Actually, not much else I really need a tractor for so renting may end up being more cost effective in the long run. No maintenance, repair, etc....
Last edited by Carbon12 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carbon12

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

PostBy: titleist1 On: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:20 am

$1500 a day for a skidsteer?!?!?! i rented a full size backhoe about two years ago for $250 / day, their trailer, but I had to pick it up and return it.

Find a local guy with a small loader and hire him for the day, i bet it would be in the $250 ballpark. Look in the local penny pincher or classifieds. There are quite a few guys around here that advertise.

Although it IS a great excuse to pick up that nice 4wd loader for coal moving and snow removal!!! (tractorhouse.com) ;)
titleist1

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

PostBy: Carbon12 On: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:27 am

Oops, sorry, typo. $150.00/day. I edited the original post :oops:
Carbon12

PostBy: Badog On: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:15 pm

This weather is when it is good to have a regular supplier that you have been dealing with for a few years. I can only hold three ton and normally that will hold me until late winter then I pick up two ton (the minimum he will delver) that will leave me some for fall. This year the three ton I had in November went quick. With the weather he couldn't get here until last Monday and he said he had 10 deliveries to make but only enough coal for 5.
Badog

Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Liberty

PostBy: DennisH On: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:12 pm

Lightning wrote:The solution is easy. Get your whole winter supply in June... :D

Yep, get your coal early summer for the upcoming winter. Take an educated guess what you need and add an extra pallet or two so that you don't run out. I personally have been stockpiling awhile, and have about three years of coal onhand for my typical consumption. This year I'm on track to burn four skids of coal as compared to 2 1/2 - 3 for a "normal" winter. I plan on buying four skids from my supplier when he makes he annual mailing for the upcoming year, probably in April. :cheers:
DennisH

Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon-Eagle Klondike IV
Other Heating: Propane

PostBy: Carbon12 On: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:25 pm

You are correct. Based this years consumption on last years weather. Plus, it's my first season with the stoker, so that was a bit of an unknown. This summer, I'll get what I burn this winter plus an extra ton or two. Unfortunately, getting a tri axle load may not work here. Street and driveway too steep and uneven :(
Carbon12

Visit Lehigh Anthracite