alaska water coil

alaska water coil

PostBy: chazz On: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:23 pm

anyone know how to install hot water coil in Alaska model140 coal stoker furnace,thanx charlie
chazz

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: m

Re: alaska water coil

PostBy: Black_And_Blue On: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:52 pm

when i purchased mine the option was with water tap or without.

if you got one without and are now wanting to add it, you will have to get a hole saw and cut into the firebox.

i don't have a water tap/coil in mine but seem to recall the location for the hole was the upper left of the firebox (as you would be looking from the back of the unit).

if a water tap is installed you will want water to it when the stoker is in use.

hope this helps, perhaps another person can pick up the thread and offer more input, best of luck.
Black_And_Blue

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska 140

PostBy: Lightning On: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:04 pm

If you need to cut the holes, just make sure you get them right the first time. No second chances on that deal. But don't be afraid to pursue it. I installed two of them in my hand fed furnace. One keeps my outdoor hot tub warm (its currently 104 degrees due to running the furnace hard this year) and the other heats my domestic hot water. The two coils cut my electric bill $90-100 per month for 6 months I'm burning coal.. Sometimes I have too much hot water so occasionally I fill the bath tub with hot water before bed so the house can soak up the extra btus.. :D
Lightning

Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Stove Size Mix

PostBy: dcrane On: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:08 am

Im not sure this page will help but it does give some photo's / diagrams... http://completeheatnh.com/Alternative_H ... stems.html
also this might help... Alaska Coal Stove - DHW hookup
STOP the presses folks... heres a winner ... Alaska 140 auger with CoalTrol (see how important photo's can be years down the road for others! GG Ted (a one time poster who happen to post exactly what this poster needs... 5 years later!) .... the power of nepacrossroads forum shines again :clap:

make sure you take photo's chazz and add them to this thread so folks can help with temp relief valve, etc. as you go... it will then pave the way for others and you would be "paying it forward" as they say :up:

Lightning says: "My outdoor hot tub" .... :annoyed:
Smitty's da man... nice photo's and advise below...
Last edited by dcrane on Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dcrane

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

PostBy: chazz On: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:32 am

thanx for everyones responses.guess I want to know the best spot to locate the water coils in the Alaska model 140.probably not on the right side as that is where the two burn pots are.and it doesn,t seem as though I would want to drill through the hot air chamber for the water lines.only spot I see with available space is lower left where the exhaust smoke goes to flue.its a small area and coil would be in front of exhaust opening. this is for domestic hot water application and would be thermo siphon to storage tank ( no water pump) have built this design for my wood furnace with black iron pipe and works great.question is: best location for coil and how many loops?
chazz

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: m

PostBy: SMITTY On: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:11 pm

Don't cheap out on blades either - it'll make your life miserable. Ask me how I know that one ... :lol:

Highly recommend DeWalt blades. Use a good oil to keep the blade lubed and cool too. Not crappy WD-40 - about the only good use for that garbage these days is shining up plastic on dirt bikes and ATV's. They cheaped out on the formulation some time in the early 90's. It's been absolute garbage since.

Here's a few pics of my coil install on my Mark III.

Another word of advise: DO NOT buy coils from Hilkoil - guy is a CROOK! :mad: You can search out my multi-page threads on that topic ....

Anyway, here's the pics. I joined two coils together in series. I angled them to help natural convection flow without using a circulator. Started with small pilot holes, then drilled them bigger:

After just 3 minutes of cutting with a cheap blade .. also from Hilkoil, surprise surprise ... :roll: :

Three holes cut, and you can still read the logo!!

These coils ended up corroding away to nothing. I have a different set in there now that worked great for 4 seasons. Now I have a stoker boiler, so they're on standby.
SMITTY

Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler