Bad Sulfur Smell

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 7:41 am

Wow he posted he had bad sulfur smell and you guys took off on the best brand of CO detectors? Can we get back to the OP original problem?

Rev. Larry
New Beginning church
Ashland Pa.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 8:28 am

Yeah this thread got skewed a bit. :lol: The original poster needs to update us if Flyer's advice helped..

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 8:30 am

Might sound silly to some but is the coal in your hopper wet?With my handfire, if I stuff it like a turkey (most days) with really wet coal, I get that pungent sulpher smell if I take my time closing the door back up. Usually only occurs with really wet coal for me anyways.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 9:03 am

Flyer5 wrote:Your chimney is not making enough draft to remove all of the combustion air. You can shut one burner down or limit the intake air on the combustion blowers to lower the over fire pressure. First indication of this is sweat on the inside of hopper. You should invest in a manometer or Magellanic.
Dave
This is spot on advice. :)
May not of reached the point of spilling out CO, but is only a thin line from doing so.
Should be spelled Magnehelic. ;)

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post by Carbon12 » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 9:06 am

Yup, when I had my hand fired, whenever I'd throw on a load of wet coal, the house suddenly got a sulfur, rotten egg smell. I always assumed it was water flashing to steam and carrying some volatiles into the room before I could close the loading door. CO monitors never twitched, however.

Lu47Dan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Sears circulator air tight stove.
Other Heating: Crown 115,000 BTU oil fired boiler(house) Weil Mclain 150,000BTU oil fired boiler(Shop)

Post by Lu47Dan » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 11:37 am

tjnamtiw wrote:
2001Sierra wrote:Oh, and people say that CO detectors only last 5 years so you might want to check the age on yours........
I believe the newer ones have a 7 year life, and have built in timers to notify the owner. The better ones like Kidde might be the only ones, they are the ones I use and one failed before it's life end and was replaced with no questions asked by them with information I gave them from the product labels, no receipt required.
Yep, I can attest to the alarm notifying you when it reaches 7 years old.
My smoke detectors are hardwired with battery back up, I spent two hours chasing the alarm on them only to find out that it was the CO detector aging out. :oops: :mad:
Dan.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”