Trying to Inventory One Type of Coal

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Apr. 04, 2014 9:12 pm

Our farm has four separate areas hundreds of feet apart so I have quite a few stoves. The main players are Hitzer 50-93, a Harman DVC, LL Pocono, Anthra-Kings and a Keystoker 90. One poster has a family member that ran that Hitzer on buck with reasonable success so can I run the whole place on buck. TT load of Lehigh buck at $160 would reduce my costs again... any inputs would be appreciated?? Out in the boonies we really need TT loads at a time to save money and long distance trucking is just going to get worse.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Apr. 05, 2014 3:39 am

I can't imagine a hand fed having "satisfactory" results using buck size coal during times of high heat demand. Its just not gonna burn very fast or hot like the bigger sizes do. But since all your other appliances could use buck size, why not get a TT load of it and then a smaller delivery of nut size for the Hitzer?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Apr. 05, 2014 6:15 am

If you have good draft, buck can be burned in a hand fed just fine. I have done it, but never attempted to push the limits of the stove. As you said, output is probably reduced. Enough to matter in this application?

Can the DVC and keystoker 90 burn buck?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Apr. 05, 2014 7:27 am

Could you build a divider in the bin and set-up some sort of screener to only allow some bigger pieces of the load to fall toward the one side while the fines and smaller pieces go to other side?
Even if not when unloading, could be done later w/ auger to move and/or raise the coal to gravity down through screener.

Good clean Buck w/o alot of fines and undersized pieces should burn well in Nut stove.
Last edited by McGiever on Sat. Apr. 05, 2014 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. Apr. 05, 2014 7:37 am

Can the DVC and keystoker 90 burn buck?
I am content with reduced output from the Hitzer with my application (within reason) and it might reduce grate shaking jam ups but has anybody burned buck in a DVC or Keystoker 90.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Apr. 05, 2014 7:50 am

Just keep in mind, some Buck is a little over or undersized as delivered from different breakers and the percentage of fines will vary coming out of different areas of the bin, so results can vary. YMMV ;)

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Apr. 05, 2014 8:06 am

You might be able to achieve a good hot burn with a shallower coal bed, if needed.. :)

Scottaw

Post by Scottaw » Sat. Apr. 05, 2014 9:01 am

Sounds like you have the space for multiple coal piles, I would get one of each as funds allow. The 50-93 really likes bigger coal and doesn't produce near as much heat with smaller sizes.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Tue. Apr. 08, 2014 9:26 pm

Scottaw wrote:Sounds like you have the space for multiple coal piles, I would get one of each as funds allow. The 50-93 really likes bigger coal and doesn't produce near as much heat with smaller sizes.
I completely disagree. You should just standardize the furnaces to all Leisure Line products. :)
Problem solved.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. Apr. 08, 2014 9:50 pm

OK, Dave I get it, the Lear jet needs an overhaul. I have already been suckered into a 180 AnthraKing what more do you want, I could not resist. However, no fan noise in the living room for me and a nice POH stove to gather round when the wind is howling is my choice.

So do I stay with the Hitzer 50-93. Ugly, boring, but this winter was a stellar performer and even with wind chills of -30* the stove was never flat out and the only time it screwed up it was my fault. Advantage: proven performer and efficient. Or, do I fix the windows in the old Red Cross Garnet 48 and succumb to endless beauty and elegance with the chance that it may be a great stove too but harder to control and a lot of unknowns and perhaps more maintenance? However, I have a history of terrible luck with trophy anythings. I guess nut or stove coal is an inevitable consequence. So I need to suck it up and pay the fuel premiums for small loads.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Tue. Apr. 08, 2014 9:55 pm

coalnewbie wrote:OK, Dave I get it, the Lear jet needs an overhaul. I have already been suckered into a 180 AnthraKing what more do you want, I could not resist. However, no fan noise in the living room for me and a nice POH stove to gather round when the wind is howling is my choice.

So do I stay with the Hitzer 50-93. Ugly, boring, but this winter was a stellar performer and even with wind chills of -30* the stove was never flat out and the only time it screwed up it was my fault. Advantage: proven performer and efficient. Or, do I fix the windows in the old Red Cross Garnet 48 and succumb to endless beauty and elegance with the chance that it may be a great stove too but harder to control and a lot of unknowns and perhaps more maintenance? However, I have a history of terrible luck with trophy anythings. I guess nut or stove coal is an inevitable consequence. So I need to suck it up and pay the fuel premiums for small loads.
:) Hey I had to try.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”