RCBS .223 FS/Crimp Dies

wilder11354
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260 Boiler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

Post by wilder11354 » Thu. Apr. 10, 2014 10:24 pm

workin at setting up dies, got decapper/sizer die set no isues. Bullet seater/crimp die is a lot more touchy. Before I do anymore adjusting I HAVE to trim the cases to same lengths. Very little room for error on crimpimg bullet. if die body is more than an 1/8th turn to far down it bulges case. so smalller turns rate on die body is needed to set crimp,while making sure bullets seated to COL distance at time crimps applied.

touchy little cartridge.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Thu. Apr. 10, 2014 10:36 pm

I don't crimp any rifle cartridge. It is only necessary for heavy bullets and lots of recoil.

Kevin

wilder11354

Post by wilder11354 » Fri. Apr. 11, 2014 6:13 pm

KLook wrote:I don't crimp any rifle cartridge. It is only necessary for heavy bullets and lots of recoil.

Kevin
this ammo will be used in an AR. theres both cons and pros. Will need to get cases trimmed and set a few rounds and check neck dia. to see how much it swells non crimped before I decide to crimp or not. Hear .003" incresae in neck when bullets seated is equal to about 35#'s force required to unseat bullet. which is good to keep bullet from sliding in cartridge in semi auto action.

KLook

Post by KLook » Fri. Apr. 11, 2014 6:44 pm

That may be true in heavy calibers. I have a 35 Remington auto that I use 200 gr. bullets in. The recoil is considerably more then the .223 in an AR. And all guns with a magazine that hold cartridges subject the ones in the magazine, built in or removable, to the forces of recoil from the firing of the gun. The military crimps and seals both ends, bullet and primers, to prevent anything from disturbing the rounds for long storage, use in wet environments, etc. Basically they want them to go bang no matter what. There is much debate as to the necessity of crimping.
By all means, do it to learn about it, but don't think those little pills are going anywhere from the recoil of an AR. I am shooting with some guys right now with AR's and I am using a Mini. My handloads are not crimped and I see no movement.

Kevin

mozz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Post by mozz » Fri. Apr. 11, 2014 9:13 pm

Roll crimps are pretty touchy to set. All cases have to be the same length to crimp in the bullets cannelure. Don't know if they make a taper crimp for rifle calibers but I have used it on pistol rounds. Some rounds will stretch and have to be trimmed but should settle down, don't know if you "have to" full length resize to get them to chamber in your rifle.

wilder11354

Post by wilder11354 » Fri. Apr. 11, 2014 10:30 pm

don't know if you "have to" full length resize to get them to chamber in your rifle.[/quote]

these are once fired (not my AR) 5.56 nato (LC, TAA) cases. So I will be full sizing all cases, will also trim all to same length IF I do crimp bullets. Have already seen differences in some cases and know those cases they were fired from same rifle by neck shoulder marks/deformities.

KLook

Post by KLook » Fri. Apr. 11, 2014 10:53 pm

I would like to back up and say have fun! Shoot all you can and learn every nuance of reloading. Many of my friends went on to cast bullets and I didn't follow. But hell, I don't want to be contentious about a fellow shooter doing what he wants. Rock on. 8-)

Kevin

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sat. Apr. 12, 2014 1:23 am

I don't crimp. The amount of bullet in the neck of almost any rifle cartridge will keep the bullet seated. I've fired literally Thousands and thousands of .223 reloads in AR's with NO issues with no crimp.

Now, some of my Long Range rifles that have a very high coefficient of drag, that is have a boat tailed bullet and a very long pointed tip, they sometimes don't get much of the bullet into the neck, in order to get the bullet near the lands of the rifling.. those long pointy BT bullets don't like to jump far to the lands. So these reloads are used in bolt action rifles that are single shot fed.

But, one thing that is critical with AR's and other auto loaders, is to resize the case. If you don't, it only takes one slightly too large a case to jamb the action.. and while at the bench shooting at paper this is not a huge deal, there are other instances where this could be a major problem and be deadly..

Greg L

wilder11354

Post by wilder11354 » Sat. Apr. 12, 2014 6:17 am

haven't run thosands of rounds thru anything yet..... but reloading the 5.56 compared to the 243 brass...5.56 is a little less forgiving if over zealous with handling in press. Its definitely a learning by doing thing. I enjoy it. Now I need to get those clipper strips, and make some wood boxes to pack strips in to store ammo as I get them loaded.

Return to “Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing & Camping”