Vigilant II Is Just Humming Along!!!

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Thu. Feb. 13, 2014 6:39 am

It could be for the little fry pan shaped air inlet on the left of the stove.

Rich W.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Vigilant Multi-Fuel (coal for me); Vermont Castings Vigilant 2310 in the shop
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: System 2000 Oil Burner; VC Resolute Woodstove (sold) Jotul 8 Woodstove (sold)

Post by Rich W. » Thu. Feb. 13, 2014 9:37 am

I thought the spring might be for the secondary air inlet too, in order to keep it close to the hole, but my Vigilant doesn't have one. I didn't check my Resolute yet, but I seem to remember seeing one that was spring loaded. Anyway...
VPB...THANK YOU for taking the time to describe the procedure for adding the bushing. This will be a springtime project (if winter ever ends!), and in the meantime I'll look for a replacement bushing and post it here if and when I find one. I'll have to determine size and thread count first. Thanks again.

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Thu. Feb. 13, 2014 12:31 pm

Glad to help, Rich W. The bushing shows up on the expanded parts view of the manual. However, it is not assigned a part number nor is it listed among the parts list. I thought it might logically be part of a shaker rod assembly but I've only found the rod listed separately.

Rich W.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Vigilant Multi-Fuel (coal for me); Vermont Castings Vigilant 2310 in the shop
Other Heating: System 2000 Oil Burner; VC Resolute Woodstove (sold) Jotul 8 Woodstove (sold)

Post by Rich W. » Thu. Feb. 13, 2014 1:10 pm

Once I determine the specs I think I'll be able to find a bushing. I searched for "threaded bushing" online and found some promising results.

bchill61

Post by bchill61 » Thu. Feb. 13, 2014 8:45 pm

you can find that bushing in the lamp repair drawers at your local hardware store Its a lamp socket nipple

rsunbrook
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant Coal - Vermont Castings
Coal Size/Type: Hard nut
Other Heating: Vermont Castings Resolute

Post by rsunbrook » Thu. Feb. 13, 2014 8:58 pm

The bushing does have a part number. If you go to the Discount Stove Parts web site (link below) and look at the parts list for the 2310 Vigilant II, it is the last two items. p/n 1201903 - Shaker Hole Jamb Bushing and p/n 1201904 - Oversize Shaker Hole Bushing. A couple of years ago I broke my bushing while I was replacing the shaker rod and didn't realize that it was threaded into the stove. I talked with the guy at Discount Stove Parts and he explained that the oversize bushing is for cases where the original bushing fell out and people kept using the stove and wore the hole oversize. Hope that helps.

http://www.discountstove.com/

Rick

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Thu. Feb. 13, 2014 9:27 pm

Welcome and thank you both rsunbrook,bchill61. This forum is a wealth of information and an issue draws out the best of folks. I often wonder how many non-members are reading this. Thanks again

Rich W.

Post by Rich W. » Thu. Feb. 13, 2014 11:02 pm

Well said, MichaelAnthony! One of the smallest parts on our wonderful stoves, and members come out to get it done! Fantastic!

Rich W.

Post by Rich W. » Sun. Feb. 23, 2014 7:55 pm

Finally, a nice spring like weekend here in Rhode Island to break up the winter. This gave me a chance to see how well I can idle my Multi-Fuel Vigilant. Answer...very nicely (I think)! I've been running it at 275* for two days, with the exception of a mid-day reload today, when I ran it hot enough to get the coal involved, and then backed it down. I said "I think" because I'd like to know if running it at a low temp that does not support burning off the coal gas is causing any harm, other than loss of energy. Thanks in advance for your feedback. Rich W.

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Mon. Feb. 24, 2014 2:00 pm

[quote="Rich W."]Finally, a nice spring like weekend here in Rhode Island to break up the winter. This gave me a chance to see how well I can idle my Multi-Fuel Vigilant. Answer...very nicely (I think)! I've been running it at 275* for two days, with the exception of a mid-day reload today, when I ran it hot enough to get the coal involved, and then backed it down. I said "I think" because I'd like to know if running it at a low temp that does not support burning off the coal gas is causing any harm, other than loss of energy. Thanks in advance for your feedback. Rich W.[/quote]

There are a couple things you can try, first you could run pea size coal during the warmer weather with a little blue flame, second burning nut' size you can give it some more primary air in order to get the gas burn off and try the little fry pan air inlet to cool the exhaust and the stove, third all of the above and adjust the window stat's :) . The only waste or as you said, "loss of energy" to me would be to burn heating oil! It's tinkering season.
Mike.

P.s. you can try VigilPeaburner's smaller fire box set up! check out his video, it's pretty cool.

Rich W.

Post by Rich W. » Mon. Feb. 24, 2014 2:37 pm

All good thoughts...thanks! I have a few bags of pea for this spring, but I was just tinkering with this recent two day "heat wave," so I didn't crack them out. I love the smaller firebox idea; again that will be for longer than a couple of days.

And I love the idea of tuning the primary and secondary air...I guess I should just play when I can be with the stove and monitor the reactions. Fun stuff! Thanks again.

VigIIPeaBurner

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Tue. Mar. 18, 2014 10:16 pm

Hard to believe I'm still going strong on March 18. I'm usually stepping it back quite a few notches by now. Still going full throttle.

Attachments

image.jpg

I love top-loading stoves. Here's a shot looking straight down on top of the fire, untouched after 14 1/2 hours.

.JPG | 92.3KB | image.jpg

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Mar. 19, 2014 7:57 am

[quote="VigIIPeaBurner"]Hard to believe I'm still going strong on March 18. I'm usually stepping it back quite a few notches by now. Still going full throttle.[/quote]

Full steam ahead, and I don't see an end soon. The weather forecast is winter, winter, and more cold. I am buying bagged coal weekly and hopefully I can "ton up" when I get back to work as HB so eloquently stated.

VigIIPeaBurner

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sat. Apr. 12, 2014 3:12 pm

At this rate there's a few weeks' worth of nut left in my bin. Vigilant is pulling easy 28 hr burns on 23lb buckets.

Humming, just humming . . . On the first match :)

Attachments

image.jpg

This was three weeks ago. It's at half of the pictured volume.

.JPG | 113.8KB | image.jpg
image.jpg

Three windowstats operating on the first floor.

.JPG | 103.7KB | image.jpg
image.jpg

Could go lower. Still haven't reduced the firebox size. Maybe next week.

.JPG | 126.3KB | image.jpg

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Tue. May. 20, 2014 10:31 am

Just a quick note to let everyone know I am joining the Vigilant family. I decided to tag on to this thread because I just spent the last hour and a cup of coffee reading each page and gleaning info about the hints for running a 2310. Adding my story to the Vigi diary and joining the other Vigi owners is an honor.

I got my 2310 from and add in Craigs List. The 2310 was in a house along with a ton of bagged Blaschak nut coal when this lady bought it. It was in the basement and had never been fired. That was four years ago. The new folks put a half bag of nut in the stove and tried to fire it up on three different occasions by building a wood fire on top of the coal and gave up and installed electric heat in the house. They have an oil fired boiler and empty oil tanks in the basement. They pulled out all the radiators and capped the piping. They then decided to build a deck about 2 1/2 feet over the metal Bilco door with a wood access hatch in the deck floor. The lady wanted the bagged coal and the useless never fired coal stove out of her house. I bought the stove and the ton of bagged Blaschak for $600.

What this amounts to is to get this stove out of their basement, all 425 pounds of stove, you have to move it laterally about 10 feet to 6 concrete steps, up the steps, then a direct up lift 2 1/2 feet to the wood deck, across the deck, down four steps and then about 25 feet down the back walk to the rear gate. The guy helping asked how in the heck did they get this down here? I told him the only thing I can think of is the wooden deck wasn't there, they built a ramp down the 6 concrete steps and let gravity be their friend.

The only way we could figure out how to get this stove out of the basement was to break it down completely to parade rest. We spent 4 hours hauling 39 1/2-- fifty pound bags of nut coal out of the basement to my Subaru. We moved them 10 bags at a time 7 miles to my house. Then we started disassembling the stove. The only thing left now is the shell side panels, top panel and bottom pan. ALL the internals are out and/or off. As I was taking it apart I marveled at the engineering in this stove. Everything fits snug and there are only a few screws and/or bolts that had to come out. The rest of the parts fit together amazingly well. The craftsmanship is wonderful. My Subaru back is full of cast iron parts of weird shapes and configurations.

I took lots of photo's so I would know how it goes back together plus I found an exploded view of the stove showing all the parts online so I shouldn't have too much of a problem putting it back together. I am going to hire a couple of brawny teenage boys or girls (this is the southern coal region after all) to get the shell out of the basement, to my car, out of my car, and onto my front porch.

I will add some photo's of the disassembly when I can find the data transfer cord for my camera.

Rev. Larry
New Beginning Church
Ashland Pa.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”