Boiler Pressure Keeps Climbing to 20

northernmainecoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Nut/Stove

Post by northernmainecoal » Tue. Apr. 15, 2014 7:26 am

Sting wrote:long read - but the link I posted in this thread appeared to have helped the OP and his pressure drama

maybe you too??
thanks for the link, I've read it twice, it makes sense and I think I'll buy the book:) good stuff. However I don't think it quite addresses what I am seeing in this case. I am consistently seeing a pressure of 18-20 regardless of circulating or cycling of the boiler.
stoker-man wrote:The expansion tank sounds hollow when you rap it with your knuckles. If you have an increase in pressure along with an increase in temperature, check the circulator. If the temperature doesn't increase, check the coil, as stated.
The pressure does not increase with temp. just with time. I shut off the infeed regulator yesterday for about 4 hours and did not have any increase in pressure over that time, there was actually a small decrease. After opening the infeed again the pressure steadily climbed back up to 18 which leads me to believe it is the cause of this higher pressure that I'm getting. There's very little change in pressure once it gets up there, but I couldn't understand why it was going that high. Now to figure the best way to either clean or replace that regulator

I do have two expansion tanks one just off the oil boiler and then another just off the coal boiler, both sound hollow on the bottom and solid on the top. I haven't checked to see what the pressure is in the tanks..

Attachments

IMG_20140414_170400.jpg

The culprit?

.JPG | 107KB | IMG_20140414_170400.jpg

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Apr. 15, 2014 7:32 am

Do you have sediment in your water? That is a common culprit for malfunctioning feed valves.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Tue. Apr. 15, 2014 7:40 am

I normally keep my infeed shut off. I watch my boiler often enough that if it got too low I'd notice and manually feed some more..... perhaps twice a year I add a little. If you're not in a hurry, just shut it off & keep your eye on it for a few weeks. It's possible that 20 PSI is perfectly normal when you are at high temp. Yes, the expansion tanks moderate the pressure, but they don't keep it at a perfectly constant pressure..... as the water expands & the tank takes up the water, the pressure does rise some.

The reason I keep mine shut off is.... I have some factory recalled infloor tubing in my system. If (when?) the tubing springs a leak I will only lose the water in the system and not have a continuous flood.

Sting
Other Heating: OBSO Lennox Pulse "Air Scorcher" burning NG

Post by Sting » Tue. Apr. 15, 2014 8:03 am

Pull that tab at the top - It will flush the valve and Might - Maybe - it could possibly reseat the contraption and it possibly will function again

or just change it out

Fortune 500 companies have nothing on my customer service :D

Sting

Post by Sting » Tue. Apr. 15, 2014 8:08 am

Freddy - be sure all your safety and overtemp controls are in perfect condition and are well insulated from the surrounding air-- as if the liquid drops away from them - all they will have to respond to is thermal expansion of the overheating boiler.

If you commonly need to keep your boiler isolated from the automatic fill valve - you might be served by a low water cut off - but they can fail too

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Mcdonnell-Miller-Low-W ... ffs-192000

northernmainecoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Nut/Stove

Post by northernmainecoal » Tue. Apr. 15, 2014 9:36 am

There's not sediment in the water that I know of. The water is also softened before it hits the boiler. I'm not home enough to risk leaving the feed closed, I did think about it when I shut it down yesterday but I just don't dare
I will flush the valve tonight and see what happens, ya got Walmart beat hands down Sting

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Tue. Apr. 15, 2014 7:14 pm

Sting wrote:you might be served by a low water cut off -
Low water cut offs are mandatory & standard for all residential as well as commercial boilers in Maine. I keep forgetting that they are not mandated in other places. Yaaa, they can fail but are fairly dependable. I test mine when I clean the boiler. Oddly, testing is not mandatory.

I do appreciate any safety tips! When I take my car in for an inspection I tell the mechanic " I don't want any favors".

Sting

Post by Sting » Tue. Apr. 15, 2014 8:21 pm

OK Fred thats good news

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”