Back in Black

dutch
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska Channing III

Post by dutch » Thu. Dec. 05, 2013 9:03 am

i will admit I have not checked draft. to be honest, with the direct vent (not power vented)
i don't know how one would adjust the draft? is there a mechanism on the stove? or does the
direct vent fan get adjusted?

i am running very low right now, we warmed up into the 40's yesterday and headed
for 50s today, but return to cold weather this weekend. I have my dial set at .75 right
now, I had been between 1.25 and 1.75 most of the week.

while the stove is dialed down, very little heat is actually making it thru the furnace
duct work, but we're not cold in the house so I assume enough is making it thru. plus
by having the furnace fan run, I am keeping the house a more constant temp throughout
by circulating all of the air, so we're very happy so far with that setup.

leetbumble

Post by leetbumble » Wed. Mar. 19, 2014 12:44 pm

I just bought a house with a Channing 3 and am very interested in how you hooked it into the cold air return. This is something I want to do as well.

How did you connect the stove to the vent? The pic looks like it directly mounts via a plate. My stove is on the first floor in the living room with the cold air return trunk ending almost directly below it but without a register. My initial thought was to add a large wall register to the side of the stove and just pull air from that but im worried Im not going to get enough pull from the furnace.

Any thoughts?

dutch

Post by dutch » Wed. Mar. 19, 2014 3:55 pm

Hi and Welcome!
I was lucky in that the end of the cold air return duct was right over the stove. There is a
6" hole cut in the top plate and a steel bar under the plate,
to the front side of the hole, to stop the convection
air from coming out the front of the stove. then standard 6" pipe connectors up into the
cold air return. I run the stove fan, and also the furnace fan. the air in the system is not
all that hot, (depending on how hot the stove is) but it does keep the house a very constant
temp. I have the homes cold air returns on the first floor just about closed off, not fully, but
wanted to force the furnace to pull more hot air into the system. Another little helper for it
was I found that there was a "patched" hole in the cold air return very close to the end of it's
duct, on the bottom side, which is in that same vicinity of the stove, so I removed it's patch and
that allows the cold air return to draws more air from the ceiling area above the stove as well.
my thoughts were to get as much
warm air into the system as possible, and try to take as much heat out of the basement as possible
and push it upstairs. As of now, we are not heating the 2nd floor of the cape cod, so those heat
and cold air runs are closed off.
I can't say how well you will do trying to take air downward into the cold air return. It might be worth
investigating where the nearest cold air return for a 2nd floor room might be, and if there is one
next to the stove tapping into that pipe thru the wall might be an option. i'm not sure how your home is laid out.
as far as your idea, I would think you would be better coming off the top of the stove, maybe go with
larger square ductwork off to the side and down into the cold return thru the floor,, I think it'd be pretty
ugly to have in your living room though! being in the basement we really don't care too much about looks,
and everything I did was more of a test run, and from what we saw this winter it's going to be the way to
go in the future for us. just started into my 4th ton of coal.

dutch

Post by dutch » Tue. Apr. 15, 2014 2:02 pm

psycho mother nature is up to her old tricks again,
70's/80's the last 4 days, and probably going down into the teens
tonight!
i had shut the stove down this weekend, (and had a power outage to boot)
but today when I went home for lunch temps were in the low 30's already , so I restarted
the stove. before I did, I pulled the pipe going outside to my
termination vent to see what buildup was up there . ( stove in basement,
so I have a 5' vertical run up between the stove and my outlet).
there was about 1" of ash in the pipe, but overall not too bad concerning
we burned straight thru since thanksgiving. quick vacuum, and that part
of my spring cleaning is now done!
fired up the stove for the next 2-3 days, or until
we get some of that nice warm weather back!
going to finish up with just under 4 ton burned.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Tue. Apr. 15, 2014 10:27 pm

[quote="dutch"]psycho mother nature is up to her old tricks again,
70's/80's the last 4 days, and probably going down into the teens
tonight!

Wasn't summer on a Sunday last year in Syracuse :clap:

dutch

Post by dutch » Thu. Apr. 17, 2014 4:40 pm

started the stove up tuesday mid day, but never added coal,
it ran out wednesday :(
came home to a cool house, and cold stove. I think tonight will
be my last nite, maybe shut down for good tomorrow.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”