Coal Ash as Insulation?

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Apr. 12, 2014 9:27 pm

There has been no snow down here for about 3 weeks now. For the past 2 weeks daytime temps have been in the 50's and 60's. Today was a bright and sunny mid 70 degree day, it actualy felt hot to me. So I ran the gas out of the snow blower and put it in the basement, fired up the tiller to see if it still ran and got ready to pull the plow off of the tractor.
Since it was a harsh winter, I have collected a LOT of coal ash. There was so much snow this winter that part of the time I could not get to my normal ash dumping hill, so I started a new one at the edge of the driveway. This pile got to about 4 1/2 feet tall.
Before taking the plow off of the tractor I like to plow down the ash hill and the one by the driveway I was just going to level out next to the burn pile.
Snowblowers 013.JPG

Ash pile

.JPG | 344KB | Snowblowers 013.JPG
Snowblowers 014.JPG

Ash pile

.JPG | 391.1KB | Snowblowers 014.JPG
You can imagine my suprize when I hit the smaller ash pile the first time and saw this!
Snowblowers 011.JPG

SNOW!

.JPG | 351.4KB | Snowblowers 011.JPG
Snowblowers 012.JPG

SNOW!

.JPG | 375.1KB | Snowblowers 012.JPG
Here I am sweat'in by be-hind off, haven't even thought about snow for over 2 weeks, and under this ash pile is a sizable amount of SNOW!

I guess coal ash makes good insulation!

-Don

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Apr. 12, 2014 10:17 pm

Go Figure ! You never know what you're going to learn! :yes:

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Apr. 13, 2014 6:26 am

My ash pile is the same way, full of snow and ice. Under the ash there is snow, and where the big snow piles just melted there is green grass. :)

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Apr. 13, 2014 7:21 am

Yeah man!! That is a good demonstration of why it is so important not to let fly ash collect on the interior walls of your fire box, baffles and fire brick. Ash will cut down on heat transfer big time! :idea: :)

I'm pretty anal about keeping all that stuff clean in an attempt to keep the best heat transfer that I can. I use a wire brush at every shake and load to keep the water coils clean and also run it across parts of the fire box wall. Nothin too enduring, just a minute or so of scouring..

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Sun. Apr. 13, 2014 7:35 pm

Same here raking my ask piles and finding frost, and pretty deep as well. We also have had some rain so ash seem to ether insulate or absorb the moisture from the rain :o

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Apr. 17, 2014 8:11 pm

Can add some ash during warm days to insulate part [1/2] of the coal bed when burning output needs reduced...works on insulating heat just as well as cold...just shake out that added ash for more output over the night time.

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Thu. Apr. 17, 2014 8:42 pm

With having a direct vent I determine when I need to do a quick clean on my vent pipe by simply feeling the temp difference between top & bottom. If I can hold my bare hand on the bottom & then slowly work my way up the sides I can just about tell how deep the ash is getting. Can't hold my hand on top for long at all, I just take the T off outside & have a long piece of all thread with a half moon piece of tin bolted on, I slide it in rounded side up turn it & pull out ash a little at a time until I hit the inside vertical. Go in the house & feel it & if hot on the bottom I'm good to go. Got to be able to stand back far enough because the fan pushes out pretty good but the heavy ash just drops into a bucket.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. Apr. 18, 2014 2:50 pm

I just burn my ash ... lol

No, just goes in the trash.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”