Coal Source in SE Ohio

WVPatriot
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Brunco 190

Post by WVPatriot » Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 11:40 am

Does anyone know of a coal source in SE Ohio (Marietta) or Parkersburg, WV areas?

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 11:46 am

Check all of our existing Threads on this Hot Topic! We're starting to pick up a lot more Steam with Good Folks joining from many parts of Ohio's Southern Frontier! Mr. Berlin is a wealth of great knowledge and has tossed out sources in the General Area of You.CarlH,Willis,McGiever and a few other Folks unmentioned due to my burgeoning Alzheimers of the Moment have kicked in to our source threads. Check'em out! Are you looking for Anthracite or the Variety's of Bituminous down that way?

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 11:49 am

Oh Hell,most importantly,Welcome to the Coal Board,and the Ohio Family Syndicate Of The Black Rocks!! I know you're from West By-God,but We Adopt ! Stay Warm and toss some Feedback our way on how you're making out! :up:

WVPatriot
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Brunco 190

Post by WVPatriot » Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 12:09 pm

Hambden Bob wrote:Oh Hell,most importantly,Welcome to the Coal Board,and the Ohio Family Syndicate Of The Black Rocks!! I know you're from West By-God,but We Adopt ! Stay Warm and toss some Feedback our way on how you're making out! :up:
Thanks for the coal-warm welcome! I'll do some more searches on the site to see where I can locate a source. Since I am a newbie on coal burning I havea lot to learn. After just an hour of reading posts on the site I have noticed several people's comments on the challenges of controlling bit versus anthracite. I have a large house (3,000 sq ft) with two wood burning stoves in the kitchen/dining area and the great room. The basement furnace was in the house when we bought it and I have been feeding all of them wood. These recent cold spells have really thrown down a challenge to wood-burning and the woodshed is running low on supply. (I harvest my own wood from the 60 acres that we own) I'd like to use coal when temps get really low so that I can balance cost and effectiveness.

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 1:13 pm

Welcome,

If I were you I would call around to some of the material yards in you area many times stone and gravel yards sell coal. There is a craigslist add for lump coal however I think its down in the Charleston area.

Bramhi in Wellston OH, has lump $100/ton, egg $85/ton, and pea stoker $100/ton they load you. I buy stoker coal from there and it burns a little different each time, the lady at the scalehouse said they get there coal from waterloo coal company.

However you are about as far from there as you are from Oxford Reclamation near New Lexington OH, they have run of mine coal for $75/ton there and they will let you hand pick your coal, so you don't get as many fines. Every time I got coal from there it burned great. They mine the coal on site and I think they work the same seem so its pretty consistent. I highly recommend this coal but, is looks like there are no direct routes there from your area.

If you just want to burn coal on the really cold nights you might "get by" with a wood stove, but coal makes a lot more ash per volume of coal when compared to the same volume of wood. So if you don't have a stove that has a cast iron grate and a ash pan you will have a lot of trouble. A warm morning of the largest size you can get ahold of would be the "best least expensive" option to burn soft coal.

P.S. don't be afraid of soft coal it's not a uncontrollable beast. Most of the members here burn anthracite and have tried to burn bituminous coal like its anthracite and they have problems cause bit burns a lot like wood.

Wheelo
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: 1537 US Stove
Coal Size/Type: Bit
Other Heating: Propane

Post by Wheelo » Mon. Jan. 27, 2014 6:21 am

Welcome aboard!
I live in the New Lexington area myself, so naturally I get all my bit coal from the Reclamation Center as well. Pretty decent coal, pretty consistent so far. $75 a ton. Personally I'd hand load it, watching the excessive amount of fines that the loader piles on some of the trucks is insane and just seems to me like a waste of money. Plus, only being 23 years old, a little exercise ain't gonna kill me.
Burned a little of the wellston coal at my previous job, it too burned fairly decent, but I don't remember it burning as nicely as the new lex stuff.
Wheelo

Jared43758
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hotblast 1557
Coal Size/Type: Run of the mine

Post by Jared43758 » Fri. Apr. 18, 2014 9:07 pm

Kings Quarry in Beverly. $50/ton. Hand load or loader will load it. It's a gravel quarry but will run into veins of coal and mine it outta the way and sell it

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”