Burning Bitumious Lump Coal in a 1557M Hotblast

Jared43758
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hotblast 1557
Coal Size/Type: Run of the mine

Post by Jared43758 » Fri. Apr. 18, 2014 9:01 pm

I need help. What are the keys to getting Bit coal to burn well in my Hotblast. I'm guessing I need the forced draft blower. Is putting it on the ash door the key? Any advice besides getting a different burner will help. Thanks

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Fri. Apr. 18, 2014 9:22 pm

For Openers,Welcome to the Coal Board,Jared! What part of Ohio are 'ya from? We're gaining Steam and picking up Folks from a lot of Ohio Bit Country! I'm posting a link to help you. It's from our 8th Wonder Of The World,namely the Google Custom Search Bar in the upper right corner of the page. Inside,you'll find All Things Coal from previous posts...Good Stuff!

Burning Bitumious Lump Coal in a 1557M Hotblast

If my effort turned into a fail,just type in Hotblast 1557m. Take Care!

Jared43758

Post by Jared43758 » Fri. Apr. 18, 2014 9:30 pm

Southeast Ohio here. I get my coal from new Lexington. Kings Quarry in Beverly also sells bit for $50/ton but I haven't tried it. I've done tons of googling but I was hoping to find someone with personal success burning bit with my kinda stove

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Fri. Apr. 18, 2014 9:56 pm

We're entering the slower Season here. All the Emergencies have come and gone. However,we still get answers out,it just may take longer. If you start reading those Threads inside that link that I've provided,it might just be taking you dead-on into what ails you. I'll be here,along with a Cadre' Of Sophisticated Die-Hards that will work with you as long as you keep coming through the Door. Now that you've joined,it's Your Door Too! :up: Glad to have You Aboard!

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. Apr. 19, 2014 3:49 am

Probably not what you want but ... welcome to the forum ... have faith, there are bit burners here !

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Apr. 19, 2014 6:59 am

HI welcome aboard partner. I have a Clayton which is a very similar design to your hot blast. I burned bit in it for a few weeks last year.

Bit coal is challenging. Was for me anyways. It wouldn't give me a steady heat output thru the burn cycle. It seems to have two stages. The first stage while its burning off gases would produce too much heat and be difficult to control. Then later in the burn it would cool down and act more like anthracite but wouldn't produce enough heat unless I opened the primary air up.

I got better at it as days passed. The keys to managing the burn I found was to run the secondary air open with the primary air nearly closed so it wouldn't go nuclear, for the first half of the burn then cut back the secondary air and open the primary some to maintain heat output for the second half of the burn.

I can't comment on the combustion blower, never used one. Bit coal is very sensitive to combustion air changes so a combustion blower may cause it to rage out of control.

Good luck and just experiment with combinations of primary and secondary air.

Jared43758

Post by Jared43758 » Sat. Apr. 19, 2014 8:07 am

I tried burning it some last week when we had some cold days. I had great big pieces but there weren't making enuff heat so I busted it up to 3-4" by down size. It helped out some. I shook shaker grate like I leaned from here, and I had a great bed of coal mound from front to back. It just never put out a Lot of heat and wouldn't stay flaming. My stove has a plug in the back where the forced air blower goes and I had it out so it would pull more air, and I ended up leaving my air pan door open and It ran warm but nothing like wood and not enuff to keep me warm in the real cold days like I was with wood. I figured it should melt the stove down with the door left open but it didn't. Every video I seen on YouTube of people burning coal in a stove like mine they left the ash door open. But they were burnin anthracite. That's why I'm thinking I need the forced draft. I was hoping it would help regulate the heat through the night. After those cold nights I closed the ash pan door and left the spinner opened up and I looked on my stove 4 days later and there was still 4 inch chunks of coal glowing red.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sat. Apr. 19, 2014 12:06 pm

Those symptoms imply to me a few things. Firstly, it could be not enough draft is being created by the chimney. A manometer is needed to measure draft strength. Secondly, its possible that ash isn't being cleared enough and its choking your fire. Lastly, its possible the coal itself is inferior.

That fire should be going out of control with the ash door open.

Jared43758

Post by Jared43758 » Sat. Apr. 19, 2014 9:04 pm

Serexh you tube 1557m burning coal. All show opening the ash door to get to burn hot enuff

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Sat. Apr. 19, 2014 10:13 pm

Hello and welcome

I agree with lightning you either have poor draft or your coal is very low in BTUs or the grate is clogged with ash. I see you posted that a stone quarry finds coal and sells it, can you possibly post a picture of the coal you are burning.

Bit coal should flame up when added to a bed of coals. It should feel a little lighter than it looks.

I would not add a blower to the ash pit because you don't know if the flue can vent the exhaust fast enough.

Jared43758

Post by Jared43758 » Sun. Apr. 20, 2014 9:12 am

I am getting my coal from tunnel hill reclamation In New Lexington. Lots of people on here use there coal and lots of people I work with use it and love it. Idk if I have enuff draft. After it burns for a while I can open the feed door without any smoke coming out. What's the reason u wouldn't put a forced air blower on it? You think it would force gas outta my stove and not my chimney? Plz go to YouTube. Serech 1557 burning coal

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Apr. 20, 2014 9:31 am

Can you post a link to the video you want us to see? There are several and I dunno which one in particular you are looking at. Sounds like you have a weak draft. A manometer is needed to determine if this is your issue. Is the flue sealed to the chimney properly? can you post some pictures of your set up? I advise installing a mano, they are a very valuable tool for burning coal.

Jared43758

Post by Jared43758 » Sun. Apr. 20, 2014 9:59 am

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Apr. 20, 2014 10:04 am

OK, he was burning anthracite though, wasn't he?

Jared43758

Post by Jared43758 » Sun. Apr. 20, 2014 10:08 am

Yea. There's no info on burning bit. That's what brought me here. Antercite coal should of got even hotter with the ash door open than bit. That's why I'm wondering if the forced inducer is a must in my stove

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”