Trimmer W/ Micrometer Adjuster

wilder11354
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260 Boiler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

Post by wilder11354 » Mon. Apr. 21, 2014 8:54 pm

the new adjuster is real nice. easy to adjust for trimming. Cuttter itself is pretty well worn or has bad cutter edges, so got a new one w/ new handle (threads on, original is one piece unit) on order. been trimming all 5.56 brass to 1.760". Been hitting it dead on or 1.7595. But its taking a lot of turns of cutter to remove material and getting harder and harder to remove. This is an older wilson trimmer.
Got press seater/crimp set for the trimmed length finished cartridges 1.760, going from.2435" neck edge to .2425" on crimp. not a lot, but should be good so no cases crush with .0005" length variations.
P4210413.JPG
.JPG | 83.5KB | P4210413.JPG

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Apr. 22, 2014 2:46 am

What is it that you trim which requires such precision?

wilder11354

Post by wilder11354 » Tue. Apr. 22, 2014 6:07 am

Lightning wrote:What is it that you trim which requires such precision?
bought a box of once fired nato 5.56 brass. Just want to trim it all to spec, before reloading to fire in my AR. Then once its used in mine, it will be expanded to fit breech thats in mine, so all I will need to do is neck size again only to fit mine. hopefully with no jamming in breech. Also i'm learning as I go about different aspects of reloading.

Wanna Bee
Location: You wouldn't believe me if I told ya! Virginville PA

Post by Wanna Bee » Sun. Apr. 27, 2014 7:14 am

Good luck on neck sizing on .223,
Your going to find, If you want to run reliable, your going to have to run them through a full length sizing die. Most AR chambers are to tight to only neck size. Feeding issues will inevitably result.

Rule of thumb is semi's get FL, bolt actions can be neck only.

If you where shooting out of a bolt action, your method would be fine.

Edit: I'd steer clear of lake city brass too. Crimped primer pockets are A PITA, they can be swedged or reamed by why bother. the case capacity is much smaller than that of most commercially produced brass too. This is important when pushing the limits of a cartridge.

wilder11354

Post by wilder11354 » Sun. Apr. 27, 2014 9:42 am

i am FL sizing the brass, primer pockets are getting chamfered, its time consuming for sure.Trimming to spec length. Was hoping once fired in my rifle(semi) neck size only would be ok. After first reload, it will be quicker than these first reloads. Am aware of reduced capacity of nato brass compared to commercial brass. TY.
Wanna Bee wrote:Good luck on neck sizing on .223,
Your going to find, If you want to run reliable, your going to have to run them through a full length sizing die. Most AR chambers are to tight to only neck size. Feeding issues will inevitably result.

Rule of thumb is semi's get FL, bolt actions can be neck only.

If you where shooting out of a bolt action, your method would be fine.

Edit: I'd steer clear of lake city brass too. Crimped primer pockets are A PITA, they can be swedged or reamed by why bother. the case capacity is much smaller than that of most commercially produced brass too. This is important when pushing the limits of a cartridge.

Wanna Bee

Post by Wanna Bee » Sun. Apr. 27, 2014 12:43 pm

Your theory works in a bolt gun, semi... not so much.
The reason for neck sizing is to try squeezing the last bit of accuracy out of a precision rifle. Any accuracy improvements you get with neck only sizing are going to be negligible.

FWIW. I hand load my precision .308 1000yard loads. Powder charges are individually measured, cases are fire formed then neck sized, neck reamed, bullets seated x inches from lands, bla bla bla.

AR15 are batch loaded. Full length sized, powder charges are thrown, slammed together at magazine length. There isn't enough accuracy to gain with fiddling with them. Trimming cases to recommended length is a good habit to get into though.

wilder11354

Post by wilder11354 » Sun. Apr. 27, 2014 2:36 pm

Wanna Bee, I figure if I load any caliber I reload with same steps, processes, I will be avoiding any problems, hopefully, in the way I do so.

1000yds..... thats a long shot. what goups sizes you avg at that range with any one reload combintion you use for it?

Wanna Bee

Post by Wanna Bee » Sun. Apr. 27, 2014 5:35 pm

At a thousand yards I'm happy to connect with a 18" steel gong. On a calm day I can expect to hit every shot. Windy days are where it gets tough.

It's good to have a system. I would just get bored out of my mind paying that much attention to .223 ammo. I burn thru that stuff to fast. :D

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Mon. Apr. 28, 2014 7:54 am

I agree with wanna bee. For .223 or .556 AR ammo pay more attention to reliability over pin point accuracy. Don't drive yourself nuts with it.

Return to “Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing & Camping”