"Summarized" the Stove Yesterday

Beeman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503

Post by Beeman » Tue. Apr. 22, 2014 6:37 am

I took on the challenge of cleaning out the remaining ash from Hitzer 503 insert yesterday and got her set for summer. Seemed to go easier this year with ash removal, inspection of bricks and metal parts, and cleaning of chimney, which produced slightly less than a 1 gallon volume of extremely fine fly ash. Good to get things cleaned up after October to April burn. Did notice metal deterioration on back of hopper assembly and will either replace that or weld a replacement plate onto the assembly. Sprayed all metal parts with Cortec (http://www.cortecvci.com/Products/single.php?code=10051), which again worked out well. Easy to apply and can sprays upside down and at any angle. Last thing for the summer is to put some DampRid in there.

r.wise

Post by r.wise » Tue. Apr. 22, 2014 4:23 pm

I have the same insert and will be cleaning out soon. First season of burning so this is all new for me -- lots of questions:

Do you clean the flue from the bottom up, or top down?
If bottom up, how did you control dust into the room?
Do you spray all interior metal surfaces with the Cortec, including inside the hopper cover?
How many cans of the Cortec does it take?
Does the Cortec burn off next season? Any issues with that?

Thanks.

Beeman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503

Post by Beeman » Fri. Apr. 25, 2014 5:40 am

Hello fellow 503 owner! I use flexible chimney cleaning rods and 6" round brush which fits my liner (installed previously for wood stove and I am taking my chances on how long it will stand up to coal stove acid). Work up the flue from inside the stove. If you have not bought rods yet, make sure they are flexible and easy to bend. Insert through ash pan door and have at it. Wear gloves as it is easy to bruise knuckles on stove parts. Also chimney cleaning rods are fiberglass and the fibers can stick in your hands.

Re dust, keep shop-vac running and main stove door closed. I use a second hose on the output of the vac to get the output air onto my deck. Sometimes small amounts of dust can be seen on the deck, but no problem washing this off.

Cortec works very well and one can is all that is needed. I take all removable parts outside on a sunny day to spray. Dries quickly. Then spray all inside surfaces of the stove itself. No problem with using the stove the next year. No smoke or smell from this treatment. DampRid recommended too. Good luck!

r.wise

Post by r.wise » Fri. Apr. 25, 2014 8:11 am

Thanks for the info!

BPatrick
Baseburners & Antiques: 2 Crawford 40 Baseheaters
Coal Size/Type: Stove Coal
Other Heating: Herald Oak No. 18

Post by BPatrick » Tue. May. 06, 2014 10:34 am

Damp rid and a heat lamp...I think that's my fix for this season, after disconnecting from the chimney.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Wed. May. 07, 2014 12:23 am

BPatrick wrote:Damp rid and a heat lamp...I think that's my fix for this season, after disconnecting from the chimney.
I use a 60 Watt light bulb. It works great and it lights the windows up during the Summer.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. May. 07, 2014 9:12 am

A small paint pail of calcium chloride ice melt placed in the stove will do the same as Damp Rid and other moisture absorbing chemicals.

If you don't already have some left over from Winter, it's usually on sale now in the large bags. It's also less expensive per pound buying it in those large bags. And after keeping the moisture down inside the stove, it can be saved to de-ice the sidewalks next winter.

Paul

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Wed. May. 07, 2014 12:47 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:A small paint pail of calcium chloride ice melt placed in the stove will do the same as Damp Rid and other moisture absorbing chemicals.

If you don't already have some left over from Winter, it's usually on sale now in the large bags. It's also less expensive per pound buying it in those large bags. And after keeping the moisture down inside the stove, it can be saved to de-ice the sidewalks next winter.

Paul
I use kitty litter in the ash pan and then a light bulb in the stove. The kitty litter is made to absorb moisture and it works great in my camper as well (also quite cheap).

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”