Is Big Food poisoning us with the trash they pawn off on us?

Forum rules
As the title "Thoughtful and Intelligent Debates" implies we want quality discussion in this forum. If you're going to post a new topic or reply to one here please make sure it fits the following guidelines.

• Clear and descriptive title for your topic.
  • You don't need to write a book but please have a reasonable amount of material to support or dispute what you are discussing.
  • Outside references to material to support or dispute your argument can be used but they should not wholly make up your argument. If for example you reference a news article please explain exactly what you are referencing and why.
  • Stay on topic, while topics will wander in the general forums we want to keep them strictly on topic in this forum. Flaming will not be tolerated at all.

Is Big Food poisoning us with the trash they pawn off on us?

PostBy: lsayre On: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:40 pm

Unless you can see fit to break all ties with them, these 10 corporations control just about all that you are likely to eat and drink.

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/wp-c ... We-Eat.png
lsayre

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13 KW)

Re: Is Big Food poisoning us with the trash they pawn off on us?

PostBy: grumpy On: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:45 pm

Well yes they are.... I wish I had a normal job and a normal life, I would grow my own and can, I would get my meat from a local farmer, hell maybe even grow my own chickens.. Oh wait, isn't that illegal now... :(
grumpy

PostBy: jpete On: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:55 pm

Growing your own food has been illegal since the Depression and the Wickard decision which has never been overturned.
jpete

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

PostBy: samhill On: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:02 pm

But those "People" would never do anything to harm you, we are trying to talk my neighbor into some chicken & pigs. So far the chickens have a good chance but he thinks pigs smell too much, we just got three more black angus after butchering the mother of the forth one that will be with the three for the future. Plenty of farms nearby with both but there is something about having your own, we know the other farmers well but my neighbor has the room & there are plenty that help so we'll see what happens.
samhill

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75

PostBy: lsayre On: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:03 pm

jpete wrote:Growing your own food has been illegal since the Depression and the Wickard decision which has never been overturned.

I had to look that one up. Wow, that decision gives a whopping load of power to the government. The Commerce Clause strikes again.
Last edited by lsayre on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lsayre

PostBy: lsayre On: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:04 pm

My favorite "Big Food" invention is fluorinated bottled water for infants. But that's just the tip of the iceberg.
lsayre

PostBy: jpete On: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:06 pm

lsayre wrote:
jpete wrote:Growing your own food has been illegal since the Depression and the Wickard decision which has never been overturned.

I had to look that on up. Wow, that decision gives a whopping load of power to the government. The Commerce Clause strikes again.

I'm sort of surprised you weren't fully conversant with Wickard.
jpete

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

PostBy: grumpy On: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:11 pm

lsayre wrote:My favorite "Big Food" invention is fluorinated bottled water for infants. But that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I wish I could speak my mind about that, but its in the wrong forum..
grumpy

PostBy: scalabro On: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:12 pm

Molon Labe.

Let them try to come and take it.

Grow what you want.

99% of the "food" on that chart is processed crap that we don't even have in the house.
scalabro

Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14 in the works.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

PostBy: grumpy On: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:16 pm

scalabro wrote:Molon Labe.

Let them try to come and take it.

Grow what you want.

99% of the "food" on that chart is processed crap that we don't even have in the house.

Yeah, only thing on there was sun chips, I buy every year or two.. I also get a craving for White Castle once every two years, I chow down and say to myself what was I thinking... lol
grumpy

PostBy: lowfog01 On: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:02 am

The trend here is to have a food producing garden in your front yard, either a stepped off space or in the existing flower beds. Several HOAs have taken people to court and lost. The court has said there is nothing to disallow it as long as it's kept neat. For years I had a small, well kept garden in the front yard of my 1/4 acre lot that was 12 ft by 8 ft. I only received positive comments from the neighbors.

This town in Michigan went a little further to dissuade the idea. http://abcnews.go.com/US/vegetable-gard ... d=14047214 The charges were dropped 2 days later and the garden was allowed to stay.

As for chicken's,that's before the county board now - up to 6 hens, no rosters. I don't think that's coming anytime soon especially in my yard. :D Lisa
lowfog01

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I

PostBy: samhill On: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:12 am

The states at one time had & encouraged community & victory gardens everywhere & in a lot of cities they are making a comeback. If they become too popular I'm sure the Houses will be paid to put a stop to them if they start to harm the bottom line, many foreign countries have already turned them away so they have to sell here. Just put a big "On Sale" or "special" this week sign on it & it will sale.
samhill

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75

PostBy: lsayre On: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:29 am

jpete wrote:I'm sort of surprised you weren't fully conversant with Wickard.

Basically due to this decision our Government can use the Commerce Clause any time it wants to too shut down anything from front/backyard gardens to small farmers who only feed themselves, etc... in order to protect high food prices (no deflation must ever be allowed when you have fiat money) and by inference the Big Food producers who charge them. It's a racket.

I have read of cases (in Michigan I believe) where small time farmers had to destroy all of their livestock. Apparently the Commerce Clause works for livestock as well.
lsayre

PostBy: mkline On: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:36 pm

samhill wrote:The states at one time had & encouraged community & victory gardens everywhere & in a lot of cities they are making a comeback. If they become too popular I'm sure the Houses will be paid to put a stop to them if they start to harm the bottom line, many foreign countries have already turned them away so they have to sell here. Just put a big "On Sale" or "special" this week sign on it & it will sale.

My town has a community garden and other towns around me have them also. I have plenty of land to plant but only have a small 35x20 ft garden. We always have way more than we can eat so family, friends and customers get plenty too :bighug: :D .

Here's a pic of my wife with a Zucchini. There's plenty more just like it.
Tam_zucchini.jpg
(344.27 KiB) Viewed 17 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
zucchini
[nepathumb]52133[/nepathumb]

Mike
mkline

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak x 2...Old and New
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove/Anthracite