Coal Prices on Long Island for 2014 ???

fishhead631
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC-2000
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: UGH! Oil burner.. Gets me sick just thinking about it.

Post by fishhead631 » Thu. Jul. 17, 2014 10:38 am

Hi,
Wondering what price/ton users on L.I. are experiencing this summer?
I'm new to burning Coal ( burnt wood for years).
Tks in advance.
Eddie

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Fri. Jul. 25, 2014 10:45 am

Welcome Eddie

I just bought 4 tons of loose nut from Rella Coal in Medford. I paid about $265 a ton, delivery was $25. Bagged coal was about $365 a ton. Hope this helps.

Tom

fishhead631

Post by fishhead631 » Fri. Aug. 01, 2014 9:41 pm

tcalo wrote:Welcome Eddie

I just bought 4 tons of loose nut from Rella Coal in Medford. I paid about $265 a ton, delivery was $25. Bagged coal was about $365 a ton. Hope this helps.

Tom
Tks Tom... Will you actually go through 4 tons over the winter? Seems a lot of coal.
I figured I'd burn no more then 2-2.5 tons... (Was burning 2 - 2.5 cords of wood a season).
Seems more expensive then wood now if I'm going to burn more coal.
Have a good weekend!

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Sun. Aug. 03, 2014 7:38 am

My house is a bit drafty...original single pane windows with not so great insulation. Our coal stove is our primary heat source in the winter, we like it warm! Last winter I burned every bit of the 4 tons I had. During the 2012-2013 season I burned about 3.5 tons. I like to have a bit extra in case mother throws a curve ball at us. I used to burn wood (still do on occasion). The BTU output per ton of coal is greater than a cord of wood. The massive amounts of heat that coal gives off is amazing, not to mention much lower stack temps. No need to season it either. Coal will burn wet, no need to keep it dry. No critters living in my coal pile. A much cleaner fuel than wood, and much cheaper than oil. I can't picture heating our house any other way!

fishhead631

Post by fishhead631 » Sun. Aug. 03, 2014 9:20 pm

tcalo wrote:My house is a bit drafty...original single pane windows with not so great insulation. Our coal stove is our primary heat source in the winter, we like it warm! Last winter I burned every bit of the 4 tons I had. During the 2012-2013 season I burned about 3.5 tons. I like to have a bit extra in case mother throws a curve ball at us. I used to burn wood (still do on occasion). The BTU output per ton of coal is greater than a cord of wood. The massive amounts of heat that coal gives off is amazing, not to mention much lower stack temps. No need to season it either. Coal will burn wet, no need to keep it dry. No critters living in my coal pile. A much cleaner fuel than wood, and much cheaper than oil. I can't picture heating our house any other way!
Tks tcalo for the advise. I'm looking forward to it. Dragging logs through the house really did make a mess and the wife unhappy, not to mention loading every hour....
I'll need to call Rella and schedule a delivery (don't thinks much choice in venders locally).
Question: Did u build your own bin? I will have to soon, just wondering what size will hold 2+ tons? 4x4x8?
Tks..

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Aug. 04, 2014 10:03 am

figure about (+or-) 40 cubic feet per ton
Last edited by McGiever on Mon. Aug. 04, 2014 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Mon. Aug. 04, 2014 10:09 am

Eddie,

I bought bags for years but with a $100 price difference between bagged and bulk it got expensive. I decided to build my own bin this year. I got my coal bin idea from VigIIPeaBurner who was a huge help. My bin measures 8x5x5/6 and could hold about 5 tons. I was on the fence about building a bin due to the high price of lumber. I didn't want to cheap out on the construction and have the bin fall apart after the first delivery, so it's built pretty tough. It cost me about $1000, but well worth it. I posted my build and delivery in this link, check it out: COAL BIN Pics

Check out this thread on coal bin sizes: Coal Bin Size?

If you have any questions on the coal bin build pm me. I'm not where on LI your located, but I'm from central LI so your welcome anytime to come by and see my bin or stove setup. Good luck with everything!

Tom

AGSurfer11
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac - Baronet 720

Post by AGSurfer11 » Fri. Sep. 05, 2014 1:40 pm

Just called Rella - $656.96 for 2 tons of bulk pea, delivered and dumped into the bin. About $50 more than last year, but still a lot cheaper than oil... :-/

fishhead631

Post by fishhead631 » Fri. Sep. 05, 2014 6:31 pm

AGSurfer11 wrote:Just called Rella - $656.96 for 2 tons of bulk pea, delivered and dumped into the bin. About $50 more than last year, but still a lot cheaper than oil... :-/
Tks AG, WOW, that's more $$$$ then I would usually spend on a few cords of wood.
Shoot, I converted to coal this year not realizing it was going to be more expensive then burning wood ($180.00 /cord). Hope there are other advantages....
Is this because we, Long Islanders, don't have any other venders to purchase it from? No price competition?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Sep. 05, 2014 6:39 pm

Use the calculator up top...a dollar of wood is a lot less heat than a dollar of coal. :)

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Sep. 05, 2014 8:44 pm

fishhead631 wrote:
AGSurfer11 wrote:Just called Rella - $656.96 for 2 tons of bulk pea, delivered and dumped into the bin. About $50 more than last year, but still a lot cheaper than oil... :-/
Tks AG, WOW, that's more $$$$ then I would usually spend on a few cords of wood.
Shoot, I converted to coal this year not realizing it was going to be more expensive then burning wood ($180.00 /cord). Hope there are other advantages....
Is this because we, Long Islanders, don't have any other venders to purchase it from? No price competition?
Having lived there for 40 years and run my own business, I'm pretty sure it's not because of lack of competition. Long Island is an expensive place to ship stuff to and also an expensive place to run a business. Your coal dealer's overhead costs are higher than most off the Island.

And if your getting wood at $180.00 for a full cord on LI your doing great. It was averaging $200.00 a cord for seasoned and split hardwood 22 years ago when I left the southwest Suffolk area.

Paul

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Sun. Sep. 07, 2014 2:29 pm

fishhead631 wrote:Tks AG, WOW, that's more $$$$ then I would usually spend on a few cords of wood.
My wood is free, but I still opt to burn coal. You won't be disappointed!

DosDemiGod
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000

Post by DosDemiGod » Mon. Sep. 08, 2014 1:47 pm

Hello All,

Is Rella still the only game in town for Long Island? I have bought from them the last 2 seasons...just wondering if there are any other options. Going to be ordering 3 tons soon. Neighbor said he just paid $291 a ton for 3 tons last week.

Thanks in advance.

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Mon. Sep. 08, 2014 5:20 pm

DosDemiGod wrote:Hello All, Is Rella still the only game in town for Long Island?
No, there are 2 dealers on the island. Rella Coal and Bethlehem Coal. I usually deal with Rella Coal since I live close by. They are very blunt and most get turned off by them. It took a few years before they warmed up to me (or maybe I just got used to them... :P ). I tried Bethlehem last season and didn't care for their operation. Numerous delivery cancellations. Rough delivery, ripped bags. They hired a landscaper to make the delivery??? I could honestly say I never had a problem with Rella. Fair price (For Long Island) and they always had whatever I needed. They have their own delivery truck, so no waiting. They have pallets of bagged coal sitting in their yard all wrapped up, Bethlehem fills their own bags so it took nearly 2 weeks before I could take delivery. This is my first year with bulk coal and Rella was on the ball. Smooth delivery! Not trying to bash or praise either company, just giving my opinion based on my experience. Good luck.

Heres my delivery: COAL BIN Pics

Here's a good thread on Long Island coal dealers: Long Island Coal - Bethlehem?

ablumny
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman dvc500
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by ablumny » Mon. Sep. 08, 2014 7:17 pm

Bethlehem every year, no problems. Good clean delivery, good price, good burn.
Give Carla a call, she'll likely call you back and she always has. 631-909-7050

I'd burn wet pistachio shells before I go to the other guy but when I did use them once it was fine

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”