Hitzer 50-93 Basement Instalation?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Jul. 14, 2014 8:09 am

Even if the Hitzer were to remain right where it was last heating season, the distribution can be improved to be quite satisfactory.
Why tote coal and ashes to and from a lower elevation, and worse yet...double the sq. ft. of space getting heated. (desired maybe not)

If the OP will find a way to move/push the coolest air on the floor fartherest away toward the hotter stove location his problem of distribution will be solved.
IT IS A CIRCUIT...what moves out, creates void needing refilled or replentished.
Slow and steady wins the race. :D

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Mon. Jul. 14, 2014 11:09 am

^^^^ What he said. Stove is working where it is except for heat distribution. Leaving the stove at its present site would eliminate the chimney issue,just need to move the heat . :)

JohnB
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Mostly nut, some pea

Post by JohnB » Mon. Jul. 14, 2014 11:40 am

Maro wrote:I installed a Hitzer 50-93 in my foyer last fall and loved it :D except that it was sometimes too hot to use on moderate days.
What do you consider a "moderate day" temp wise & how low did you have the Hitzer running? I've idled mine down so that even on a 55°-60° day it wasn't driving us out of the stove area.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Jul. 14, 2014 12:36 pm

:idea: Perhaps the mighty Hitzer has an air leak, or the draft is too strong.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Mon. Jul. 14, 2014 12:51 pm

Or he may have to run his hotter to keep an adequate draft on warmer days.....

So much is installation dependent when it comes to "how low can you go"....... :)

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Mon. Jul. 14, 2014 1:10 pm

[quote="Sunny Boy"][quote="freetown fred"]Floor vents---heat rises for those who wondered. ;)[/quote]

That's half of it. Gotta have more vents for cold air to sink - if it can't, then hot air can't rise ! ;)

Don't laugh. Lots of folks forget that half. They only put in one floor vent, even a big one, .... and then wonder why no hot air is coming up ?

Now you can laugh ! :D

Paul[/quote]

Paul said a mouthful which in turn will back up what FFred said. This is a fan from an old kitchen range hood, very quiet with 2 speeds. It is located under a linen closet with a louvered door at the end of a long hall furthest point from my stove in the living room. It is located right in front of my 2 bedrooms of a single story ranch. On the cold cold days I turn it on and 55 -60 degree air is blown into my basement which is nice and the very warm air from the Vigilant 2310 races down the hall and into the bedrooms replacing the cooler air that is removed. I tested this with burning incense.

I also killed 2 birds with one stone because the air which is blown into my basement is 6 feet in front of my basement stove that blows air into the return vents of my warm air furnace duct win, win. Air has mass and volume so it must be removed in order for it to be replaced! The old chicken and the egg theory and the answer is both. :)

I rarely use both stoves but when I do I drink dos equis!

Attachments

DSC00020.JPG
.JPG | 142KB | DSC00020.JPG

Maro
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Gravity fed hopper

Post by Maro » Wed. Jul. 16, 2014 3:09 pm

As for the shroud over the 50-93 I should have worded it more accurately. What I was actually picturing (in my head) was a duct from the hot air outlet vents on the 50-93 going to the box above my gas furnace. Anyways, as always, the folks on this forum are the best. I appreciate all of the inputs and I welcome more. There's still plenty of planning time before it gets cold. Thanks.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Jul. 16, 2014 3:57 pm

What comes out from the hot air outlet vents on the 50-93 is but a fraction of the total heat...much, much radiant heat is also emitted and still needs to be distributed.
Now, you can move stove DOWN to the basement and put all that radiant heat into that ADDITIONAL SPACE (which was not before heated) some of that radiant heat that isn't soaked into the walls and into the floor may trickle up to the under floor/ceiling.

In other words...You are doubling the square footage of the space to be heated now and yet your stove is still the same size..
You may be more than doubling the real heat load down there due to poorer insulation and more mass to now try and heat up.

Many folks wish they could move their stoves upstairs and use less coal for the same comfort. ;)
:idea: Furnaces work very well downstairs. :idea:

If there were a Magic Solution, would not everyone here be already using it?

Maro, Do you want the additional heat downstairs?

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Jul. 17, 2014 8:28 pm

I agree that it would be better to keep the stove where it is. What is your goal exactly for wanting to move it down stairs? Just for better heat distribution or is it heating you out of the house on mild days? There are techniques for running a cooler fire while maintaining draft on warm days. You would likely use more coal down there heating more space. Maybe there is a way to better distribute the heat and keep it on the first floor.. More info for your reasoning is needed.. :)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”