Glenwood #8 and Ernest Shackelton

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Jul. 19, 2014 7:00 pm

coalnewbie wrote: ....................... a chromed ash shaker handle.
Cuts down on air drag. You can shave a few tenths off your grate shaking time. :D

Paul

Pancho
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Post by Pancho » Sat. Jul. 19, 2014 10:44 pm

coalnewbie wrote:OK, OK, OK I'll be good. It's hard to be humble when you have a stove with a chromed ash shaker handle.
.....not to brag but I've got the only #8 that Wilson said he's ever seen that came with a nickel'd base. :cheers: ....to ALLLLL the #8 owners with shiny bits. :)

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Jul. 20, 2014 6:21 am

Nice addition. I think it evens out the bling-affect over the rest of the stove. ;)

My #6 has the nickeled base too. That got me looking at pictures of other #6. Some have that extra plating and some don't. Wondering why, at first I thought that was just by choice of whoever restored the stove. Then I noticed the copy of the Glenwood catalog, that someone posted on here, and it lists "nickeled base" as an option for the base heaters.

Paul

Pancho
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Post by Pancho » Sun. Jul. 20, 2014 11:31 am

Sunny Boy wrote:Nice addition. I think it evens out the bling-affect over the rest of the stove. ;)

My #6 has the nickeled base too. That got me looking at pictures of other #6. Some have that extra plating and some don't. Wondering why, at first I thought that was just by choice of whoever restored the stove. Then I noticed the copy of the Glenwood catalog, that someone posted on here, and it lists "nickeled base" as an option for the base heaters.

Paul
I get the idea that ordering stoves back then used to be similar to ordering cars back in the day.....you ordered what you wanted. If you wanted a pickup truck with a straight six, heater and radio delete, manual transmission and a 4.11 gear....that's what ya got.

I wonder what it'd cost today to re-nickel a #6 or #8 base. :shock:

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. Aug. 30, 2014 4:50 pm

PM from the master (Wilson)

Progress is going slow and steady

Herald is all done and the glenwood is getting there
I guess mine is last but perhaps not least... Geez, this has been a long wait and it's all my fault. I said OK for mid Sept (to avoid Cape Cod traffic) and he said OK. If I had known I would have waited in CC traffic all night. I guess with all the board messages about these types of stoves all this will be old hat when they get here but I will be excited. So which would be more exciting a new Ferrari or these stoves.... you already know the answer. Does this mean I'm addicted.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”