New to Forum - Heat Pumps Suck in PA

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Jul. 22, 2014 12:42 pm

volkoff wrote:There is a huge $$ savings in the power vent vs the chimney.
Short term certainly, long term there isn't. You only buy the chimney once. If you have intentions of living there for long time it will pay for itself and you'll have a chimney when it's all said and done instead of a venter on the scrap heat. Another benefit is that it will not decide to stop working in the middle of the winter usually when it's -5. :P

I know my Brothers 110 sips coal during warm weather so you're going to want to take advantage of the domestic hot water year round for two reasons. If you use a lot of hot water you'll save money and more importantly it will prolong the life of the boiler significantly.

One of the big issue I have with the venters is they exhaust usually near the ground, that's a problem in the winter and certainly not doable in the summer.

It's going to cost you perhaps $10 a month in electric to run the vent and that is going to add up over the years. Then you have the cost of the venter which is up in the air for how long it will last. 5 years? 10 years?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Jul. 22, 2014 9:40 pm

In other words, a masonry chimney will save you more money...NOT cost you more money.;)

volkoff

Post by volkoff » Tue. Sep. 30, 2014 8:41 pm

Well the furnace is in. LL AK220. The new coal bin is here and has 5 ton of PA's finast anthracite rice. The HVAC guys are comming Saturday to do all the duct work and tie it into my Generac 7k propane generator. I will be doing the 8 inch pipes from the unit to the power vent. My plan is the barometric damper off the stove (horizontal) and then another "T" for a cleanout, a 90 degree elbow set at 45 degrees, then about 9 ft of 8" at 45 degrees. Within this 45 degree run I will have another "T" at the top for another cleanout, a 45 degree elbow, then about a foot or so of horizontal thru the wall/powervent. My questions are:
Does this run of pipe sound like it will work? Do I need both "T's" for cleanout?
The elbows I bought are the adjustable type from Lowes, is this ok?
I also bought the straight pipe that snaps together. I think I will take it back and order some Durablack straight pipe with welded seam. Good idea?
Do I need to put any tape or seal at the pipe joints and the adjustable elbow joints?
If so what tape or sealer?
I will include some photos after the duct work is in. Thank you all again.
Nick

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Sep. 30, 2014 9:00 pm

Perhaps a new thread is best for what this has turned into??? ;)

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”