Repair or Buy New

ndk114
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 523

Post by ndk114 » Thu. Jul. 17, 2014 8:36 pm

Hi everyone,

I have an older Warm Morning coal stove. I think it's a 520? Anyway, my round grate is missing several spikes, plus the grate is warped, and therefore the handle to rotate it won't stay in place. I'm trying to remove the grate so I can replace it with a new one, but I have absolutely no idea how to remove it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm not a welder by any means, so is it likely that I would have to pay someone to get it out? With that said, is there an easy way for me to remove the grate and replace it myself? If not, is it just as cost effective to get a new coal stove? I was looking at buying a Hitzer, but thought I might wait another year or two if I could just replace the grate in my current stove.

Thanks,
Nick

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Jul. 17, 2014 10:19 pm

Remove the stove top and take out the bricks. It should then be apparent how to remove the grate.

buck24
Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

Post by buck24 » Fri. Jul. 18, 2014 3:30 pm

The grate should come out of the ash door. The tabs on the grate ring hold the grate in place so it doesn't fall through. Push the grate up from the bottom and angle it a bit and the round grate will drop through the grate ring. Then you should be able to pull it out of the ash door. That's the way it worked for me with the 523 I had. Hope this helps.

steamshovel

Post by steamshovel » Wed. Jul. 23, 2014 8:17 am

ndk114 wrote:Hi everyone,

I have an older Warm Morning coal stove. I think it's a 520? Anyway, my round grate is missing several spikes, plus the grate is warped, and therefore the handle to rotate it won't stay in place. I'm trying to remove the grate so I can replace it with a new one, but I have absolutely no idea how to remove it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm not a welder by any means, so is it likely that I would have to pay someone to get it out? With that said, is there an easy way for me to remove the grate and replace it myself? If not, is it just as cost effective to get a new coal stove? I was looking at buying a Hitzer, but thought I might wait another year or two if I could just replace the grate in my current stove.

Thanks,
Nick
there's a lot of used stoves of high quality for sale now, at good prices. if you can't find a replacement grate, I'd just buy a good used stove. a lot of people try them and give up because they lack patience and don't learn coal stoking skills.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Jul. 23, 2014 8:56 pm

stovepipemike

Post by stovepipemike » Thu. Jul. 24, 2014 8:08 am

Nick, If you opt to stick it out with your existing stove you will most certainly learn more about things than if you simply bought a replacement stove. This coal burning process is all about effeciency thru knowledge and information. It is largely the learn more so you can do better routine. Why not start with what you have, and then you will have a better understanding as to what is going on when you yank on the grate handle. Just my $.02 Good Luck Mike

ndk114

Post by ndk114 » Sun. Jul. 27, 2014 5:15 pm

Thanks everyone. The issue I'm having is with a small rod just above the grate. It's not long, but just long enough to prevent me from lifting up the grate. As I was looking, I noticed a small crack in the existing grate which I was able to exploit and wiggle it out. Figured out it's a 12.5" grate, so now the question is whether or not I can get a new grate into place. Wish me luck.

Nick

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sun. Jul. 27, 2014 9:22 pm

Good Luck there, and do report back, you got us on pins and nettles. :)

ndk114

Post by ndk114 » Fri. Oct. 24, 2014 11:29 am

Got the new grate, 12.5" round dump grate from Woodman's Parts Plus. Fits perfectly, and thus has saved me a whole lot of money. Can't wait to get 'er fired up in a few weeks.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Fri. Oct. 24, 2014 1:13 pm

Another story with a Happy Ending. :D

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”