Franklin type stoves with "dump" grates

Franklin type stoves with "dump" grates

PostBy: steamshovel On: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:38 pm

question- the early 1900's "Franklin" type parlor and den stoves, with upper/lower removable "blower" type covers, slide draft controls in each cover, and grates are the "dump" type, meaning they are a one night only fire- next day it's out and dump the ashes, and start a new fire. stove resto shop told me they were made to heat one room for a short period of time. they look great. has anyone tried one ?

an MPD would be a must with a stove having this many air leaks. are they controllable at all ? :) at first glance they're just a fireplace insert with covers on it. every one I've seen had the firebrick liners burned out of them, is that because they overdraft due to the loose draft covers ?
Last edited by steamshovel on Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steamshovel

Re: Franklin type stoves with "dump" grates

PostBy: grumpy On: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:43 pm

Thats the last kind of stove you want if your using it for heat..
grumpy

PostBy: steamshovel On: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:44 pm

yeh I get that, just wondering, did they work at all ever ? :lol: with those loose covers they'd burn 200 lbs. coal/day
steamshovel

Visit Hitzer Stoves

PostBy: wsherrick On: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:20 pm

It depends. Some of them were of very good quality with indirect exhausts, etc.
I used my Stanley Argand for four seasons and I was quite pleased with it. It easily heated a thousand square foot house in all weather.
wsherrick

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

PostBy: ddahlgren On: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:48 pm

I had an old Franklin wood stove ages ago and gave me several years heat burning old cut up pallets. It actually did a fair job though constant playing with it and a MPD for sure lacking that it would not make much heat. Bad as it was much better than fuel oil!
ddahlgren

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

PostBy: wsherrick On: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:01 pm

Just to clarify:

Are we talking about these;
Attachments
IMG_0222.jpg
(92.03 KiB) Viewed 10 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
Fuller & Warren Parlor Stove
[nepathumb]52463[/nepathumb]
wsherrick

PostBy: wsherrick On: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:02 pm

Or talking about these:
Attachments
1035_1_large.jpg
(26.65 KiB) Viewed 4 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
Traditional Franklin Stove
[nepathumb]52464[/nepathumb]
wsherrick

PostBy: michaelanthony On: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:07 pm

Consider the fact that folks dressed for bed and when they got out of bed they put on a robe I'm sure more heat went up the flu and if I recall people used bed warmers. I bet they helped curb the mattress, (straw), fires by having a radiant heater instead of an open fireplace.
michaelanthony

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box, vogelzang pot belly coat rack
Coal Size/Type: Pea, and a little nut
Other Heating: Very cold FHA oil furnace

PostBy: ddahlgren On: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:15 pm

The one I had looked more like the second but did have doors and a bottom opening in the doors for a air shutter sort of fire control.
ddahlgren

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

PostBy: wsherrick On: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:25 pm

Traditional Franklins were a great improvement over an open fireplace. Even after fully enclosed stoves were introduced, many people did not want to give up the open fire. Once coal became widely available, that changed. Still a parlor that was only used on holidays or special occasions might still have a wood burning Franklin for the ambiance.
The desire for atmosphere is not a new concept by any means.
wsherrick

PostBy: steamshovel On: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:34 pm

wsherrick wrote:Just to clarify:

Are we talking about these;

yes, the first one you posted is the one I asked about. it would burn coal or wood, and had a "dump" grate that would tilt 45 degrees, to just dump ashes. no rake grates. it was a "one nighter" type stove as it was very difficult to dump just the ash, and not dump the fire too.
steamshovel

PostBy: steamshovel On: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:37 pm

wsherrick wrote:Or talking about these:

yes I'm also familiar with the second type with the multifold doors. those leaked a lot of air and ate wood like a buzz saw, but they heated well. typically that second type with all the doors, were wood burning only, they didn't have ash pans in them. they were more or less a "fireplace insert" but were a lot better than starting the fire on the brick floor of the fireplace. that one is actually an older design than the first one you posted.
steamshovel

PostBy: blrman07 On: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:18 am

This thread on Franklin stoves dredged up a flash from the past.

I tried heating a house in Jacksonville Florida with a Franklin stove with the folding doors on the front which actually made it look like a fireplace on legs when the doors were open. The house was U shaped with the main central return for the air conditioning directly above the drip kerosene heater that were very common in Florida. In the winter you would light the kerosene drip heater and close up the fire box area. Then you could put the AC fan on low and it would distribute the heat through the house.

My brilliant idea was to take out the kerosene drip stove and put the Franklin there that someone gave me. Construction around Jacksonville was booming at the time and I had access to a lot of free pallets and lumber from construction all around the city. My mind said "Free HEAT!!!" I moved the kerosene stove and put in the Franklin. It worked pretty good as long as you had the doors in the house set a certain way. If you didn't have the doors set exactly correct, the draft would suck the smoke right out of the stove and before you knew it you had a blue haze through the house.

My wife was brought up to close doors in rooms that were not occupied. She would go into a room and when she left said room she would shut the door. That screwed up the air flow something terrible with just one door closed that was supposed to be open. Bingo smoke would get sucked right out of the Franklin stove and distributed very nicely around the house.

Momma made short work of that experiment. The Franklin came out and the tried and true kerosene drip stove went back in.

Rev. Larry
New Beginning Church
Ashland Pa.
blrman07

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Bucket a Day
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant Casting 2310
Baseburners & Antiques: rebuilding a 1906 March Brownback Double Heater, using a UMCO 1920's Pot Belly stove in the church
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Wood in the VC and anything that will fit in the Bucket a Day. It's not fussy.

Visit Hitzer Stoves