Ebola in Bangor!

Ebola in Bangor!

PostBy: Freddy On: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:08 pm

How's that for a scary headline? Yet...it's true! Well, from a scientific standpoint it is..... That Dr from Africa that has Ebola has come to the USA for treatment..... the plane stopped in Bangor to refuel! crew got off, but the Dr stayed in his bubble. Hopefully no cracks in the bubble!
Freddy

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Re: Ebola in Bangor!

PostBy: Paulie On: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:59 pm

Scarey stuff :shock:
Paulie

Stove/Furnace Make: leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:32 pm

Not sure why but this whole mess has my hair standing on end. I do not have good feelings about this one. :mad: One of the most asinine things they have done so far.
Flyer5

Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

PostBy: samhill On: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:17 am

I may be wrong but I tend to think of it this way, we have never had exposure to or really a opportunity to develop a medication that may save a human & this is the worse outbreak in history (I think) at least recorded. It is not contagious except by contact with body fluids (so far), this day & age with plane travel & such they just may not be able to contain it & keep it off other continents. If we don't get something that at least gives better odds of survival ( it's not as bad as 90% fatality rate) it's going to reduce world population for sure & that's not even to mention the panic & resulting deaths from ignorance.
samhill

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75

PostBy: Ed.A On: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:01 am

A carrier on a plane can easily pass the virus around. A trip to the bathroom with a case of violent diarrhea ( which is a symptom) or massive coughing fit (like TB, this is also a symptom) and now you have a serious issue.
According to what I've heard the possibility of a mutation is highly probable, in fact it may have already to some degree.

The American citizen from Detroit that died in Liberia had flown on 2-3 different connecting flights in Africa before they realized he was very sick and taken away for treatment and died shortly afterwards. He was scheduled to fly back home to Michigan for his daughters birthday party.

The airlines ( small regional African ones) had no passenger lists, which of course is crazy, but I expect no less from some of these 3-4th world places.

Simply put...We dodged a Bullet, this time.
Ed.A

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

PostBy: samhill On: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:37 am

This may explain some things about the spread of Ebola.
http://www.vox.com/2014/7/23/5930311/eb ... cts-guinea
samhill

PostBy: lsayre On: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:58 am

5 species (strains) of Ebola have already been identified. It is evolving rapidly. Officially, the most virulent strain is 79% fatal. Wait until it goes airborne.
lsayre

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13 KW)

PostBy: samhill On: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:11 am

That's just the point Isayre, do we wait or do we try to find a treatment?
samhill

PostBy: lsayre On: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:16 am

samhill wrote:That's just the point Isayre, do we wait or do we try to find a treatment?

A treatment is required for sure, but why bring it here to effect the treatment?
lsayre

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13 KW)

PostBy: samhill On: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:47 am

The U.S. is one of if not the only place that has the facilities, in case you didn't know most large hospitals also have special equipment for isolation & de-contamination & hold practice drills. The CDC will be having a large part to play in this. I'm not saying it's going to be productive but a human in a controlled environment is much more likely to have a chance of survival than in a third world country.
samhill

PostBy: coalnewbie On: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:13 am

As usual Sam you only have a tiny part of the picture. In a world of ubiquitous airline travel there will always be the odd person slipping through any country. In the US, once discovered, then CDC And the airlines hunt down every person who could have been in contact and any suspects rushed off for vaccination and/or isolation. No, we are no any more sophisticated that a great many other countries the planet somehow finds the money to cope. These ideas have been around for decades. In the field of epidemiology it is generally agreed Israel is No 1, Scandanavia 2, Japan 3 and then we are in the middle of the pack from then on out.

The first line of defense has and always will be secure borders - get it Sam - secure borders. As every border is porous to some extent any break of protocol with the odd compromised subject getting through is managed as above. Thx to the village clowns you still support :roll: we have a major fracture in the system here. Out of control borders, busing and flying them everywhere with no controls, no vaccine and no antibiotics and that last one is just dawning on the medical profession. What does it take for the light bulb to go on here. It will take a few weeks for us to really understand what we have done but by then it will be too late.
coalnewbie

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93,
Baseburners & Antiques: Invader 2 Wings Best, Glenwood #8 + Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

PostBy: anthony7812 On: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:27 am

Im terrified but I must agree with Sam on this one. I will say it American drs. are top notch I dont care what some folks say. We have the means to isolate and test. We wont find the magic cure its a damn virus... but if we can make a vaccine... How many children used to die before the smallpox vaccine was discovered and implemented. A few generations went by and we all but nearly eradicated the disease. This crazy new anti vaccine generation is retarded! Should have thier children takin away IMO. Why would you put your children in risk of diseases that are very preventable is beyond me. In any way, knowing we have the ebola virus on U.S mainland does make me nervous regardless.
anthony7812

Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Nut/Anthracite

PostBy: franco b On: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:34 am

It was the failure of the Native Americans to control immigration that led to their almost total destruction through disease and the wrecking of their economy. Those same factors hold true today because they are part of natural law. None are free to violate those laws without paying a steep price.
franco b

Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

PostBy: rberq On: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:54 pm

franco b wrote:It was the failure of the Native Americans to control immigration that led to their almost total destruction through disease and the wrecking of their economy.

There's no such thing as "Native Americans". It was the failure of the North American megafauna -- the mammoth and the mastodon -- to restrict immigration of Asians over the land bridge, that led to their total destruction via over-hunting. :)

But as to Ebola -- best hope in my opinion is a vaccine. Governments should be funding vaccine development (and basic science) because pharmaceutical companies don't see the next-quarter profit in it. Or if they DID happen to have a vaccine they would see it simply as the means to wealth: your money or your life.
rberq

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane

PostBy: samhill On: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:50 pm

CNB, I don't think you see the big picture much, look at every so called secure border, there aren't many if any. The great wall was never totally completed because it didn't work even with all their population. Sure there can be physical walls & there are some areas already walled & they come over, under or around. As long as there is a reason they will come, asylum is not the same as illegally crossing & treated differently. The drug dealers & coyote's make a living off of the border crossings, stop the use of cheap illegal labor & the profit & use in the drug market & there won't be as many coming but there is much to be made by the big boys to stop that. Love to type more but oh wait I got a 5 week vacation & a can to kick. Not to mention lobby money to count.
Ebola has been on the African Continent alone for the most part so "who cared" but now it just may well be different
samhill