I Am Looking for a New Coal / Wood Stove

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Jul. 31, 2014 10:37 pm

You seem to be sizing the stove to your old heat loss before insulating and tightening the house. Too big makes it harder to get low output on those many days in fall and spring, and even winter where you don't need high output. A low fire in a big fire box is an inefficient fire. Carbon monoxide goes up and draft temperature may be too low to hold the fire.You need a good heat loss calculation or wait until cold weather in the fall to see how much oil it now burns per degree day after the insulation job. your oil company could tell you the difference in 3 or 4 weeks.

Is there such a thing as a licensed wood and coal stove installer? I would think approval along with a certificate from your local town building inspector, who no doubt does have a license, would be enough for the insurance company. It was enough for the whole house. Stop by town hall and talk to him. If you buy a modern stove it will have been tested in a UL laboratory and installation standards set up for clearances etc.

longislandsteve
Other Heating: wood pellet

Post by longislandsteve » Sat. Aug. 02, 2014 8:40 pm

You are correct I am looking to go totally oil independent with great zeal. A buddy of mine has The 1500 and he recommended the 1600 for my house. Our houses are about the same size but my home has a large sun room that is a real heat sink. I was going to separate the sun room from the rest of the house with doors however he thinks the 1600 will do the job without the doorways. The way my wife likes to torn the heat up I think the 1600 will get up to a good working temp in no time

longislandsteve

Post by longislandsteve » Sat. Aug. 02, 2014 8:44 pm

How well does your Vermont 2310 heat your house. How many sq.feet to your house.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Aug. 03, 2014 10:20 am

longislandsteve wrote:How well does your Vermont 2310 heat your house. How many sq.feet to your house.
I have 2200 sq. ft. but heat with two stoves. One up and one down in a raised ranch. Tending time for the mid size Franco Belge upstairs is under one minute twice per day not counting time to bring coal to stove and empty ash once per day. Great for the mild weather but needs the help of the larger stove downstairs in the coldest weather.

I think the Vigilant would have to be pushed too hard to heat 2000 sq. ft. Going beyond about 40 pounds of coal burned per day things start to get messy with overflowing ash pan and stove temps at maximum. Much better to have a larger stove. Michael Anthony likes his very much but is heating half the area. To put four tons of coal or more through one stove I would want either one of the best larger antiques or if a modern stove one with hopper and thermostat which makes tending a lot quicker and convenient. The DS stoves you are looking at have received high marks from users on this forum. Good strong effective shaker system and good size ash pan become very important.

The big stove becomes a pain in the ass trying to hold a small fire in spring and fall, though you could burn a quick wood fire some of the time and extend it a bit with some coal thrown on top. The antique stoves with suspended deep fire pot or a stoker stove are much better at this.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sun. Aug. 03, 2014 10:44 am

^^^^franco b hit the nails on the heads! ^^^^

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Aug. 03, 2014 11:43 am

At the bottom of these 5 pages is the HITZER stove ad,seems the Hitzer 50-93 & the DS 1600 both hold 50" coal ,both rated for 2500 sq.ft. ,both can heat without electric & Hitzer advertises on here.Always a good idea to support those who support what we do.

longislandsteve

Post by longislandsteve » Sun. Aug. 03, 2014 5:53 pm

point made thank you.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”