Axeman Anderson 130 or 260

Re: Axeman Anderson 130 or 260

PostBy: lprince On: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:20 am

I guess you have all been patiently awaiting pictures. When we arrived I found the boiler in a room off of the garage. It still had power connected to it and I was able to run the auger and the fan. No abnormal noises. Unfortunately the water was turned off and I could not see if it was holding pressure. There did not appear to be any leaks on the DHW coil face. It has the original design for the DHW coil and has not been upgraded. I also found a pile of spare parts that I got with it which included an additional cast iron blower housing assembly with bearing assembly, four auger drive chains, an additional stand for the blower assembly, an additional bearing saddle for the auger, an additional DHW coil, the timer for low load demand and some other small stuff :D .

I did not get the opportunity to get pictures of the loading but here are 3 pictures of it on the trailer. Loading was not overly difficult. We got it up ont the roller skates slid it to the door backed up the trailer to the door and put the ramps out. We used a comelaong and pulled it up onto the trailer. We did bend the hinge on the door nothing i cant repair and when we were moving it the rubber isolators that support the motor assembly also tore. No big deal I have these in stock at my job.

Now time for cleaning and inspection. I need to get a mannual for service and installation if any one has a digital copy let me know. If not I will call AA on monday.
Attachments
WD_0002.jpeg
(213.56 KiB) Viewed 31 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]52450[/nepathumb]
WD_0003.jpeg
(135.44 KiB) Viewed 23 times
[nepathumb]52451[/nepathumb]
WD_0004.jpeg
(210.26 KiB) Viewed 34 times
[nepathumb]52452[/nepathumb]
lprince

Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon 2000

PostBy: Hambden Bob On: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:01 pm

Nice Job ! The Beast is on wheels and You're going to give it a New Life. Take Your Time,go over it very well and don't be afraid to ask questions here. This is a nice start to an AA260 Thread that Others will follow and learn a lot from! Keep the Posts'and Pic's coming ! :up:
Hambden Bob

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni !

PostBy: coaledsweat On: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:54 pm

Three ash pans? Nobody gets three ash pans! :)
coaledsweat

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

PostBy: lprince On: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:34 pm

Disassmebly started on the beast today removed the fron fan cover and associated pieces. There was alot of fly ashin the swirl chamber that I cleaned out.

I removed the DHW coil and found a hole in it from freezing. I am considering repairing the coil with either silver solder or braze. Any advice would be appreciated. I did get a spare DHW coil when I perchased the Beast and i will need to pressure test that one also. I am considering upgrading to flang set up for the DHW coil. i need to find out how expensive it wil be and if I need a new coil or will the old one work.

I will be seperating the boiler from the base to inspect and rebuild the ash pan. It is not sliding back and forth as smoth as it should. However before I can do that I need to finish building the walls for the Beast's new home and finish out boating season. For now the beast is safely wrapped up and awaiting surgery.
Attachments
WD_0013.jpeg
(180.89 KiB) Viewed 24 times
[nepathumb]52461[/nepathumb]
WD_0011.jpeg
(246.08 KiB) Viewed 20 times
Bad DHW coil
[nepathumb]52462[/nepathumb]
lprince

Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon 2000

PostBy: McGiever On: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:26 pm

There are 4 cam followers that the rolling grate roll in and out on.
They need yearly lubrication due to the nasty environment they operate in.
If neglected the cam followers will start to drag or even seize up and then the rolling grate just gets drug back and forth and eventually will wear flat spots on top of the seized cam followers were contact is made. All this unneeded friction does cause an extra strain on the electric motor which is not good either.

If you email the request to AA the will email you back the manuals and all the parts list to you. :)

And sorry to say but the tankless coil for the extended flange is different length and different bolt pattern. :mad:
McGiever

Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN MAGNUM
Hand Fed Coal Stove: RADIANT HOME AIR BLAST
Baseburners & Antiques: OUR GLENWOOD 111 BASEBURNER "1908"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE, NUT-STOVE / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

PostBy: coaledsweat On: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:22 am

If the water coil gasket surface is clean and flat forget the flange conversion. It requires a different coil and it is pricey. :shock: Keep in mind that the boiler breathes and the new gasket should be snugged several times over a month or so after startup to insure a nice long, leak free life.
coaledsweat

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

PostBy: Rob R. On: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:41 am

That coil can be repaired. If you aren't comfortable brazing it, a radiator repair shop should be happy to repair and pressure test the coil.
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Visit Lehigh Anthracite