Reloading Center Fire Ammo

confedsailor
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 100 KBtu Chappee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac 513
Other Heating: Oil Fired 1950"s American Standard Arcoliner 132K BTU

Post by confedsailor » Sat. Aug. 09, 2014 3:59 pm

Good on ya. R. Lee might be a bit biased when it comes to reloading gear, but his products are truly the best value for money. See his section on swedish tool steel toilet seats...

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Sat. Aug. 09, 2014 5:12 pm

confedsailor wrote:Good on ya. R. Lee might be a bit biased when it comes to reloading gear, but his products are truly the best value for money. See his section on swedish tool steel toilet seats...
Yeah, he's definitely hung up on: "Our stuff is the best stuff."... Stuff

labman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman mk II
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by labman » Sat. Aug. 09, 2014 8:42 pm

After all the different opinions, you really need to be careful what you are doing. This stuff can kill you! I have been reloading for over 50 years. I see people get in over their heads all the time. Luckily, I haven't seen anyone lose their life; but I have seen a lot of ruined firearms. I would suggest you look at a website called ammosmith.com. It is an online tutorial. I load for pistol, rifle, & shotgun. I have a Dillon XL650, Lee classic, Redding, MEC, and Lee Loadall. They all are good products, depending on what your needs are.
Just be careful and double check yourself.

I'm On Fire

Post by I'm On Fire » Sun. Aug. 10, 2014 8:12 pm

labman wrote:After all the different opinions, you really need to be careful what you are doing. This stuff can kill you! I have been reloading for over 50 years. I see people get in over their heads all the time. Luckily, I haven't seen anyone lose their life; but I have seen a lot of ruined firearms. I would suggest you look at a website called ammosmith.com. It is an online tutorial. I load for pistol, rifle, & shotgun. I have a Dillon XL650, Lee classic, Redding, MEC, and Lee Loadall. They all are good products, depending on what your needs are.
I visited that site but was completely confused by it. There was a tutorial on how to make .45 ACP hot glue stick bullets. I've watched a ton of videos and read a bunch of stuff on reloading and if like to do it.

I completely understand that it's dangerous and easy to screw up. I also know that I need to check and recheck what I'm doing. I'm not looking to make crazy loads. I know to start out with starting loads and to never go over the maximum load. Hell, I'll more than likely go over a starting load.

I've read the Modern Reloading manual cover to cover already as well as the 2014 Hodgon manual. I'm also going to order the Lyman Reloading manual; any other manuals I should pick up?

I know it's a lot to take in and I will have questions. I'm not going to do something if I'm not sure.

labman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman mk II

Post by labman » Mon. Aug. 11, 2014 8:15 am

I'm On Fire wrote:
labman wrote:After all the different opinions, you really need to be careful what you are doing. This stuff can kill you! I have been reloading for over 50 years. I see people get in over their heads all the time. Luckily, I haven't seen anyone lose their life; but I have seen a lot of ruined firearms. I would suggest you look at a website called ammosmith.com. It is an online tutorial. I load for pistol, rifle, & shotgun. I have a Dillon XL650, Lee classic, Redding, MEC, and Lee Loadall. They all are good products, depending on what your needs are.
I visited that site but was completely confused by it. There was a tutorial on how to make .45 ACP hot glue stick bullets. I've watched a ton of videos and read a bunch of stuff on reloading and if like to do it.

I completely understand that it's dangerous and easy to screw up. I also know that I need to check and recheck what I'm doing. I'm not looking to make crazy loads. I know to start out with starting loads and to never go over the maximum load. Hell, I'll more than likely go over a starting load.

I've read the Modern Reloading manual cover to cover already as well as the 2014 Hodgon manual. I'm also going to order the Lyman Reloading manual; any other manuals I should pick up?

I know it's a lot to take in and I will have questions. I'm not going to do something if I'm not sure.
Just wanted to caution you since I have seen quite a few people that took reloading too casually, and that cost them dearly. A quick story: A fellow I knew had a 22 hornet which he loaded for. He allowed his cat in the room when he was loading. He became distracted, or the cat brushed against the loading manual, and the page got turned. But he didn't notice. Long story short, he grossly overcharged the round and almost sent the bolt on the Rem 700 through his head. Costly mistake.
Take it for what you want, but don't ever be cavalier about reloading!

I'm On Fire

Post by I'm On Fire » Mon. Aug. 11, 2014 6:57 pm

labman wrote:Just wanted to caution you since I have seen quite a few people that took reloading too casually, and that cost them dearly. A quick story: A fellow I knew had a 22 hornet which he loaded for. He allowed his cat in the room when he was loading. He became distracted, or the cat brushed against the loading manual, and the page got turned. But he didn't notice. Long story short, he grossly overcharged the round and almost sent the bolt on the Rem 700 through his head. Costly mistake.
Take it for what you want, but don't ever be cavalier about reloading!
I appreciate it. All I've been doing is reading, asking questions, looking at different components and watching YouTube videos of the different presses. In fact, when I do get my press I plan on doing a dry run so I can get the feel of it and how to handle the components. I figure if I make a new round without actually adding powder or a live primer and get the feel for it I'll be more comfortable making a live round. I'll set the press up without powder or primers save for one spent primer (I want to get the feel of where it stops without crushing the primer) I'll have a better understanding of it.

I did order my press. I got a Lee Value 4 Hole Turret Press Kit; http://leeprecision.com/value-4-hole-turret-press-kit.html. I didn't order dies yet, they'll be a few more weeks. I also don't have any of the other components yet, I know I'd like to only use one type of powder that I can reload both 9mm and .45 ACP. there are a few out there but I'd like to get another manual to compare numbers even further before buying anything. I plan on using CCI primers and standard FMJ bullets for both 9mm and .45 ACP. I only want to load for the range and nothing fancy. In fact I doubt I'll even make more than a few at a time to start until I get the hang of it. And I'll only be reloading one ammo type at a time and definitely taking my time with it. I'm not looking to churn out hundreds of rounds in a few hours.

Hopefully the fellow you knew didn't get too badly hurt? I'm sure the gun was ruined though.

sharkman8810
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 82 ul

Post by sharkman8810 » Mon. Aug. 11, 2014 8:54 pm

Good choice, I have a lee turret press (I think I got the classic kit). I am pretty new too and use it to reload .38/.357. I like being able to pick my own load for the purpose. For instance I can decide to reload 140 grain hornady xtp at around 1350 fps for just the right recoil and power for the size gun.

confedsailor

Post by confedsailor » Mon. Aug. 11, 2014 11:42 pm

Take a look at the plated bullets from Rainer and Berry's, they don't lead and cost a great deal less that FMJ's. I will be working on powdercoating some of mine. There is an excellent thread on it on castboolits.

I'm On Fire

Post by I'm On Fire » Fri. Aug. 29, 2014 5:53 pm

Does anyone know where to get powder? Everywhere I look online everywhere is sold out. I'd honestly like one powder to do both 9mm and .45.

I know Vihtavuori N320, N330 and N340 will do both 9mm and .45 but I can't find it anywhere. There are no shops near me or in Jersey that I know of that carry any reloading supplies.

I'm all setup for reloading and have decapped and resized pretty much all my spent cartridges but I can't seem to find powder.

butchs37
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 dual feed

Post by butchs37 » Sat. Aug. 30, 2014 9:51 am

tnt reloading in easton pa has all you need his hours are some sat. 9 -4 Mon 7pm-9:30pm Tues & Wed 6:30pm-9pm http://www.tntreloading.com/ map https://www.google.com/maps/place/T+%26+T+Reloadi ... dcd7fbbcd4

he is in a garage with tnt computer repair sign out front no sign for reloading supplies. He has one hell of a stock of all kind of supplies. Very knowledgeable just don't start talking politics he will go off on a rant.

confedsailor

Post by confedsailor » Sat. Aug. 30, 2014 2:28 pm

Easton! while you are there you can go by Sarco and drool over all the goodies...

I'm On Fire

Post by I'm On Fire » Sat. Aug. 30, 2014 8:08 pm

butchs37 wrote:tnt reloading in easton pa has all you need his hours are some sat. 9 -4 Mon 7pm-9:30pm Tues & Wed 6:30pm-9pm http://www.tntreloading.com/ map https://www.google.com/maps/place/T+%26+T+Reloadi ... dcd7fbbcd4

he is in a garage with tnt computer repair sign out front no sign for reloading supplies. He has one hell of a stock of all kind of supplies. Very knowledgeable just don't start talking politics he will go off on a rant.
Thanks. I've checked out their site before. I'll have to take a trip out there.

Return to “Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing & Camping”