Looking at Getting a Stoker Boiler

confedsailor
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 100 KBtu Chappee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac 513
Other Heating: Oil Fired 1950"s American Standard Arcoliner 132K BTU

Post by confedsailor » Fri. Jul. 25, 2014 10:48 pm

I have finally bit the bullet and decided to buy a house up in Yankeeland (Moosup Ct). The oil boiler that I'm getting with my stone home is so old (how old is it?) it has a hood ornament on it... Now I've been running my Surdiac 513 for 2 seasons now, and I do love my little waffles and beer stove. However, I'm getting a house that's mine, and I don't feel like giving big oil big money no more...

The house is a 1947 2 story stone walled cape with a walk out basement. The heating is baseboard hydronic. I wouldn't say the insulation is outstanding, but its doesn't seem drafty either. It's a big house, 3800sf total, 2500 taxed. I have a garage/barn of 1800sf that I'd like to heat as well. Also I would be getting DHW year-round off of the boiler.

Now I've been lurking about reading the stoker forums for the past few months, and I want to put the question to you. What should I get?

I will tell you, I kinda like those Axeman-Anderson's. I like the concept of a water jacket firepot and the swirling torturous path for the combustion gases. They appeal to me, (I was a nuke ET in the Navy for 10 years.) I will tell you its a bit unnerving seeing how much used ones go for. I get the feeling a new one is very pretty penny.

I'd love for all of y'all to weigh in.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Sat. Jul. 26, 2014 12:33 am

Could you please provide a little more info about the oil boiler (mfgr, model, btu/hr or gph, etc.)?

Thanks.

Mike

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sat. Jul. 26, 2014 7:55 am

From your description you have a LOT of house to heat and a lot of barn to heat. A stoker boiler with that much umph is not going to be just a song and a dance even used. Shop around and check the forum on here for boilers for sale. That should get you going. Also you said your currently heating with an oil boiler. As already asked how about some information on it along with how much radiation do you have in the house?

Sorry, I couldn't resist that last one since you said you had been a navy nuke!!! Seriously though do you have stand up radiators, fin tube baseboard, or what and how many feet of each. That will help with the sizing.

Rev. Larry, former surface BT3 when they still had BT's.
New Beginning Church
Ashland Pa.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Sat. Jul. 26, 2014 11:54 am

blrman07 wrote: A stoker boiler with that much umph is not going to be just a song and a dance even used.
If the OP is open to used equipment, I think there are pretty good values to be had. Also, part of the reason I asked about the oil boiler is that some older boilers can be converted fairly easily to stoker boilers, saving a lot on both the equipment and the installation. That's what we did in our new-to-us 1915 house, and it has carried the load and made all of the DHW since we got here nearly 4 years ago.

Mike

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Jul. 26, 2014 2:32 pm

The AHS Coal Gun's are functional clones of the Axeman Anderson AA's, and they come in at a better price. Been around since 1976.

confedsailor

Post by confedsailor » Sat. Jul. 26, 2014 4:23 pm

Rev. Larry,

I got a twinge in my arm when I saw the BT, My grandfather was a "kind" man and from a very young age taught me many of the little jokes and pitfalls of the Naval service. I spent a whole afternoon hunting relative bearing grease out in the barn once... Lets just say nobody ever got me with the BT punch gag while I was in. As for Rads in the house, its probably a teeny bit higher than background since the walls are solid granite, not veneer. I should get my buddy to borrow a MFR from base so we can get a proper survey in...

Im not sure about the detailed specs on the boiler, once I close on the house, I'll go take a good picture. The house has fin tube baseboard, and I'll get a footage for y'all. I know that it won't be cheap; I've no gripes with paying for real quality, not marketing hype. As for my navy experience, I can make one heck of a I&C set up, but I'm no pipe fitter! Nor am I a Boiler Tech!

I was merely asking for those intangibles, the opinions. "My so-and-so is the best because..."

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Jul. 26, 2014 5:35 pm

Get the Axeman and a comfy chair, you won't want to leave her. :)

confedsailor

Post by confedsailor » Sat. Jul. 26, 2014 5:53 pm

Coaledsweat,

I knew I was going to hear something to that effect from you!

confedsailor

Post by confedsailor » Wed. Aug. 13, 2014 4:33 am

Ok, so here's what the boiler is: American Standard Arcoliner, Model 0-154-B-T, 132K BTU. It is the wet base oil fired type.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Sep. 17, 2014 11:21 am

AA260 will have no problem at all with that load. EFM 520 is another contender that you should look at. Both have the advantage of auger feed to work better with your low basement height. The EFM 520 is easier to insulate and quieter when running, but most people don't find the sound of an AA offensive.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Sep. 17, 2014 7:16 pm

Rob R. wrote:most people don't find the sound of an AA offensive.
Sounds like money in the bank when it's running!

Townsend
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & Harman Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Pea / Nut

Post by Townsend » Sun. Nov. 30, 2014 10:19 am

Confedsailor, you're not that far from me. If you'd like to see an Axeman Anderson 260 in action please feel free to drop by. We can have a beer and talk boilers. Coaledsweat can likely be convinced to stop by as well.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Nov. 30, 2014 11:14 am

Rob R. wrote:AA260 will have no problem at all with that load. EFM 520 is another contender that you should look at. Both have the advantage of auger feed to work better with your low basement height. The EFM 520 is easier to insulate and quieter when running, but most people don't find the sound of an AA offensive.
Rob, you don't think that that old 3800 sq.ft of house + the 1800 sf garage/barn is going to overwhelm the EFM 520 ?? Sounds like a pretty demanding job to me, but you definitely have more experience with the 520's capabilities than I do.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Sun. Nov. 30, 2014 11:26 am

WH: The demand will tax any 520; more of a 700 or 900 project. The AA 260 would smile and say: Bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A Van Wert 800 would be happy as well as a Keystoker K10 or 12.

For those who don't allow some 'fudge-factor', you will be disappointed from the first fire. 20 below is NOT the time to wish you had made a more prudent choice. Don't be afraid to venture where many others fear to go, and the 520 is one excellent stoker boiler, but no way in hell are you gonna run at 220K 24/7. Like anything else, there is a 'comfort zone' where performance is optimized, and this is outside that zone for a 520........or anything comparable in size. If you live in North Carolina, no contest, but where people wear long johns, ....well, you get it.....

WH: are you missing filling that wood hawg yet? I have welder friends that are in HIGH demand on the 6 to 8 year old units......even SS boiler show their age.......and we buy 50 year old coal units; refurb them and use them for another 50.......try that with your pellet stoves......pellet boilers, pellet anything.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Nov. 30, 2014 11:50 am

windyhill4.2 wrote:Rob, you don't think that that old 3800 sq.ft of house + the 1800 sf garage/barn is going to overwhelm the EFM 520 ??
Maybe, or maybe not...that is why I said he should "look at it". The guy writing the bill for the boiler needs to be the one that does the analysis and guarantees the performance, not someone that has never even seen the buildings to be heated. We can suggest units of consideration.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”