DS Stoves Question

spinningmywheels

Post by spinningmywheels » Tue. Aug. 12, 2014 10:05 pm

I am looking to get a new stove. I will burn mostly wood but want to give coal a try also. I have an amish stove shop about 2 miles away and they have some nice DS stoves. The stove is in the basement with a duct work forced air upstairs.

I live in a 1100 sqft ranch with an unfinished basement. DS has the Ecomiser200 and then a new this year smaller kozy king. The Ecomiser is basic and has a bimetal thermostat that controls a damper and a 900ish cfm blower for $2100. The kozy king has a electric thermostat (that would be mounted upstairs) with a forced air damper and a 3 speed blower 1100cfm to max 1500cfm. This is around $2600.

My question is does anyone have either stove or similar. Is the extra money worth the forced air damper and the upgrade in blower. Also they say the Kozy King is a little more efficient.

Any help would be great. I am coming from a US stove Hotblast that eats wood like its going out of style :D

LDPosse

Post by LDPosse » Wed. Aug. 13, 2014 12:04 am

If you are planning to burn a lot of wood, make sure you are getting one of the models with the smoke reburn system.

That said, unless you are getting cut and split firewood for free, I would very highly suggest getting a couple of tons of coal and burning it exclusively for a while. Coal has so many upsides, that it's hard to justify burning firewood. No creosote, much longer burn/tending times, coal doesn't need to be seasoned, it will burn whether its wet or dry, no cutting/splitting/stacking, no splinters, bark, or bugs in the house... Coal can also maintain a much lower burn rate than wood, and it doesn't smolder and smoke like wood does in that situation.

Between the 2 stoves, I'd probably get the Kozy King, sell your stash of cut, split and seasoned firewood, and use the proceeds to buy coal! :lol:

smokerdude
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Alaska
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: DS Kozy King
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Rice

Post by smokerdude » Wed. Aug. 13, 2014 8:09 am

If you're going to burn coal then go with the Kozy King. The firebrick is 1/2 a brick deeper with that one and I know the combustion air blower / thermostat keeps the house within one degree of the setting through the burn in a big drafty house. For wood, I don't know that there is a big enough improvement for either one over the Hotblast to spend the money on a new furnace, but then, I've never burned wood in the Kozy King.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Aug. 13, 2014 8:59 am

Be advised that switching back and forth between coal and wood can be problematic. Coal usually requires a barometric damper. With wood, the damper can feed oxygen to a chimney fire. And it will become covered in creosote making it pretty much useless as a functioning draft control. I recommend you choose one fuel, you already know how long wood lasts.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”