Globe Oak from Marsh-Brownback Pottstown, PA

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sun. Aug. 10, 2014 8:55 am

I found this stove on Craigs List and replied to the ad. They guy has no idea what to ask for the stove and has no idea what it is. He calls it a Marsh-Brownback stove. I can see Globe Oak on it which gives me an vague idea of what it might be. Marsh-Brownback was in Pottstown Pa. around 1880-19teens and was more known for kitchen stoves than parlor stoves. Other than that I found absolutely nothing on Globe Oak stoves or anything further on Marsh-Brownback.

Does anybody know anything about this type of stove and any guestimate on a price to offer? I am scheduling to go look at it this next week. Here is the link in CL

**Broken Link(S) Removed**

Rev. Larry
New Beginning Church
Ashland Pa.

steamshovel

Post by steamshovel » Sun. Aug. 10, 2014 9:04 am

it's $1 for a reason, it has what appears to be a giant visible crack running up vertically in the firepot, towards the right side of picture. I have seen that trait on many oak-baseheater-baseburner type stoves if the firepot is bolted fast top and bottom in the design, and not a suspended firepot. if they overfired the stove, the pot expands, and being bolted fast top/bottom, has nowhere to go but crack the firepot itself. like taking an ice cold glass out of the freezer, and running hot water on it.
a suspended firepot, just sitting there in the holder ring, has room to expand and not crack as easily.
that would need a new firepot $75 plus shipping both ways to the foundry, they need the old one as a mold donor, it's a $150-$200 repair minimum.
it cold be relined and filled over it, but who knows how long it would last.
if you took the door from that stove, and maybe put it on the other stove posted previously with no door, and otherwise crossbreed parts, maybe could make one working stove.
that is an entry level, no frills oak stove, of which there were many small companies making them at the time. it would be a good heater once repaired and put into service.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Aug. 10, 2014 9:15 am

From the lack of detail in the cast iron I would tend to date it in the late teens of the 1900s. Unusual that it has the reflector piece on the loading door.
The side view shows what might be the opening for a double heater outlet.

$200 tops and then only if it has rocker style grates in good shape.

dhansen

Post by dhansen » Sun. Aug. 10, 2014 4:49 pm

That massive crack looks like a shadow to me?

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Aug. 10, 2014 5:41 pm

i'm not so sure. the light in the close up is coming from the left, it should be lighting up that spot right next to the that rib.

in this case there is a very dark irregular line right along side the rib, pretty sure that's a crack.

i can't see going even $200. myself.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sun. Aug. 10, 2014 6:03 pm

I called who I thought was the owner but it turned out he was the owners dad and didn't know anything about the stove. He only agreed to be the "front man" for a family member going through a divorce. I will probably go down tomorrow to look at it. I told him that if the pot was cracked I would give them some scrap iron value and haul it away. If it wasn't cracked I would make a stove offer and haul it away.

And we shall see what we shall see....

Rev. Larry
New Beginning Church
Ashland Pa.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sun. Aug. 10, 2014 6:07 pm

steamshovel wrote: if you took the door from that stove, and maybe put it on the other stove posted previously with no door, and otherwise crossbreed parts, maybe could make one working stove.
that is an entry level, no frills oak stove, of which there were many small companies making them at the time. it would be a good heater once repaired and put into service.
They took the door off the stove and have it listed separately for sale for $400. $350 for the stove without the ash pan door or buy the stove and the ash pan door separately and spend $750.

Good gig if you can get it.

Rev. Larry
New Beginning Church
Ashland Pa.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Sun. Aug. 10, 2014 6:26 pm

steamshovel wrote:that is an entry level, no frills oak stove
OK, not to change the subject too much, but while we are waiting for Larry to come back from looking at the stove:
WHY are they called "oak" stoves? :? :?:

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Aug. 10, 2014 7:26 pm

They are called Oak stoves because they conform to a particular pattern. Why that pattern is called "Oak" I don't know.

Why are horseless carriages called automobiles? Early on there were many names but in time automobile stuck. Probably the same for Oak stoves.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Mon. Aug. 11, 2014 6:16 pm

I went by and saw the stove today up close and personal. It is not a baseburner but what I think we would call a back burner with no back pipe? It is unlike any stove I have seen before. Also it has no cracks as originally suspected. What we saw was a line where paint came off.

It has a big cast iron burn pot and above that what looks like rolled sheet steel forming an internal cylinder above the pot. The outer cylinder is rolled sheet steel. This forms an internal heated air passage for heating the room air. In the photo it looks like there are wings on each side of the stove that I believe are room air inlets. The room air goes in the bottom of the wings and then travels to the rear of the stove where it comes up slotted passages and then out a vent at the rear of the finale. The rear of the finale is open also and you can see the top burner plate. That is going to let heat from the burner plate exit and mingle with the heated room air coming out the top of the stove slots.

I put down a deposit and will be going back Wednesday to get it and pay the remainder. I will take lots of photo's and post em because inquiring minds want to know

Rev. Larry
New Beginning Church
Ashland Pa.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Aug. 11, 2014 8:43 pm

Rev,
Sounds like you got yourself a good sized "double heater" Oak stove. Congrats !

Might want to consider lining the fire pot if your going to use anthracite in it.

Paul

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Wed. Aug. 13, 2014 8:35 pm

Went and got the stove today. I took as much of it apart as I could and had to lay it on it's side to get it into the Subaru Forester. Now that was a sight let me tell you!

It is a double heater with a 16" diameter by 12" deep firepot. This thing is HUGE!!! From my quick calculations it should hold around 60-70 lb of coal with a full fire pot. If I bank it up the back it should hold more than that. I will be disassembling it and sealing everything. Almost all the joints look like they are a metal to metal fit. I will have to make new door latch disks and will have to get all the old paint off it.

I will start a new thread showing the disassembly and rework as I go.

Rev. Larry
New Beginning Church
Ashland Pa.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Aug. 13, 2014 8:56 pm

awesome, so glad it was intact and with that lay out and big deep firepot it's going to make LOTS of heat.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Aug. 13, 2014 9:28 pm

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_Oak_Stove_Company
franco b wrote:They are called Oak stoves because they conform to a particular pattern. Why that pattern is called "Oak" I don't know.

Why are horseless carriages called automobiles? Early on there were many names but in time automobile stuck. Probably the same for Oak stoves.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”