Mr. Herald #6 Is Here

UncleDoDat
Hand Fed Coal Stove: King-O-Heat
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald #6
Coal Size/Type: Nut & Stove Size
Other Heating: Natural Gas

Post by UncleDoDat » Fri. Aug. 22, 2014 1:03 am

So I'm in the back yard& I'm putting together a swing set for my daughter when a big ole truck pulls in front of the house & I'm not thinking much of it because Dough over at Barnstaple told me that Mr Herald #6 had been created & picked up 4 delivery but they would call to schedule a time when someone would be home. Well I didn't get a call which added to my surprise. After directing the driver to the back of the house & watching them unload this massive crate. I So wanted to stop putting the swing set together, but I pressed on. I have two days in so far and the third day is the charm. And good thing because once I did UN_crate Mr. Herald #6 there wasn't a thing that I could do with it. I brought the smallest things that could be carried. But Mr. Herald #6 is spending his first night out doors. I mean Mr. Herald #6 is rather obese. The driver said that it weighs in at 800lb. Then he say at least that's what they charged you by. Anyway I'm thinking of going to the U-HAUL in the morning to see what my options are. How did you guy's move these things?
Last edited by UncleDoDat on Fri. Aug. 22, 2014 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Post by DePippo79 » Fri. Aug. 22, 2014 1:20 am

When I got the Oak 40 we used a appliance dolly to get it down the bulkhead stairs and then another guy and myself just lifted it on it's stand. Neither of us are body builders. Remove all loose parts. Good luck. Matt

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Aug. 22, 2014 3:31 am

You have a real treasure there I can't wait or mine to arrive. You are fairly new to the board so you may not be aware of some unusual rules we have. In the event that a superior coal device can't be moved inside for some reason, in the event of rain it is required you send the wife out with an umbrella to stand over it. Send out coffee every two hours until you resolve this issue. Lotta iron there. I do offer an emergency stove removal service where for $500 I will take it off your hands if it is becoming too much trouble. :D

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Aug. 22, 2014 5:29 am

Congrats on getting a fine base heater.

800 pounds ? What did they crate that with ? :shock:

My kitchen range has more metal and only weighs a bit over half that. Your Mr. Herald is close to my #6 - more like about 400 pounds, or so, once it's uncrated.

I strip off all the loose parts like doors, trim and cover plates - take out the ash pan, grates, and frame - that gets the stove down to about 2/3 weight. Then, I lift the stove off it's base onto card board, or an old blanket. Better if you have help for this if you can. Then a hand truck bottom shelf stuck under the ash drawer. Put a blanket folded up between the stove and hand truck and carefully strap, or tie the stove to the hand truck. Pull, don't push it through doorways. If there are stairs, get help lifting each end of the hand truck up over each step.

Offer libations to your help after the stove is in position . . . . . not before ! :D

Remember, we love to see pictures of the stove.

Paul

Pancho
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Post by Pancho » Fri. Aug. 22, 2014 1:45 pm

....ehem.....

Attachments

untitled.png
.PNG | 114.5KB | untitled.png
pictures please.png
.PNG | 92.2KB | pictures please.png

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Aug. 22, 2014 2:45 pm

tough crowd, :shock:

:lol: :lol:

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Aug. 22, 2014 2:49 pm

KingCoal wrote:tough crowd, :shock:

:lol: :lol:
Now you know why it's also called "hard coal" ! :D

Paul

UncleDoDat

Post by UncleDoDat » Fri. Aug. 22, 2014 7:23 pm

Boy I am thick headed at times. I never even thought to take a picture while in the crate. But then again I never thought that you guys would want to see Mr. Herald on his knees in a wooden box stripped and bare necked. But I get the message. I had to make a trip to home depot in search of a dolly of some kind. Needless to say I found something for around 60 bucks. So me and a family member wrestled it from the crate and to the dolly. From there it was smooth sailing. So got in the house and the same family member who helped bring it in also is my window replacement guy which is happening as I type. He suggested to place Mr. Herald #6 in the corner, so that it would not be in the way of him replacing the windows. So we put it in the dining room for now. I intended on going back to constructing my daughters swings set. But each time I passed by Mr. Herald #6. Although he now had shelter he still didn't look like he was dressed. So I'm out back with the instructions to the swing set in hand. And lo an behold! A rain drop has hit the page. Well I didn't need much of reason. But that was it. So I retrieved to the house and put some cloths on Mr. Herald #6. And here are your picture guys. I wanted to use the good camera, but it seems like you guys weren't willing to wait for a trip to Wal-Mart. So here ya go strait from the cell camera.
IMG_20140822_173857.jpg
.JPG | 92.8KB | IMG_20140822_173857.jpg
IMG_20140822_173922.jpg
.JPG | 102.7KB | IMG_20140822_173922.jpg
IMG_20140822_173953.jpg
.JPG | 88.2KB | IMG_20140822_173953.jpg
IMG_20140822_174019.jpg
.JPG | 104.6KB | IMG_20140822_174019.jpg
IMG_20140822_174057.jpg
.JPG | 103.4KB | IMG_20140822_174057.jpg
CoalNewbie harlarious
coalnewbie wrote:You are fairly new to the board so you may not be aware of some unusual rules we have. In the event that a superior coal device can't be moved inside for some reason, in the event of rain it is required you send the wife out with an umbrella to stand over it. Send out coffee every two hours until you resolve this issue. Lotta iron there. I do offer an emergency stove removal service where for $500 I will take it off your hands if it is becoming too much trouble. :D
:lol: I had to read your post aloud in the house, so that wifey knew what was expected of her. Oh.... we laughed.

Attachments

IMG_20140822_174036.jpg
.JPG | 105.8KB | IMG_20140822_174036.jpg

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Fri. Aug. 22, 2014 7:44 pm

Nice looking unit. wish I had a place to put one, someday....And when I do get one Im gonna use whoever did that job for you. Wow 8-)

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Aug. 22, 2014 8:16 pm

UDD, all it is is jealousy. I have been waiting all summer for my Herald. Envy is an ugly emotion. ;)

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Fri. Aug. 22, 2014 8:22 pm

Roll it into position man!

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Aug. 22, 2014 8:36 pm

And when I do get one Im gonna use whoever did that job for you.
Well you had better reign in the EPA. Stovehospital tells us his plating company closed down and may now reopen in October so a copy of that is getting tougher to copy and I'm sure more expensive.

He has some additional advice too:
If you think things are fine in the USA, you better think again
1. My supplier of firebrick just closed after a lifetime of service.
2. My supplier of sand blast materials just closed after being in business since 1837!
3. My good nickel welding rod has been discontinued as it was too expensive to make.
4. My nickel plater has closed and moved and is no where near up to speed.
5. Every item I buy to work on stoves is getting more expensive at an accelerating rate.

Everything is not OK.

Best to get prepared as it looks like trouble is headed our way. I blame Bush. :)

Pancho
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Post by Pancho » Fri. Aug. 22, 2014 8:40 pm

Thanks for the pics and that is beautiful stove.

It's funny (to me at least), when you look at stoves like this from the front...while they look big, it's not till you get a look in profile that you realize how much surface area they have. Big ole' backside on em.

Excellent purchase.

UncleDoDat

Post by UncleDoDat » Fri. Aug. 22, 2014 9:24 pm

Thanks guys I appreciate the compliments. And I am very excited about installation. I will post more pic once I have positioned it which will be in a few minuets. But right now I'm sitting here and I'm watching Williams videos just for the heck of it and I notice something. In one of Williams videos when he takes out the ash pan to show how the base heater recycles heat through the bottom he had to remove a plate in order to access that area. Upon seeing that I didn't remember seeing that on Mr. Herald #6. So I went and checked and it is not there. But before I sound any alarms I thought I'd ask here before asking Doug was it something that has been forgotten. Plus I'm not even sure if the Herald even has that plate. But looks as if one should be there.
IMG_20140822_213247.jpg
.JPG | 73.4KB | IMG_20140822_213247.jpg
IMG_20140822_213257.jpg
.JPG | 98.3KB | IMG_20140822_213257.jpg
CoalNewbie that's some disturbing information definitely seems to be something in the wind.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Fri. Aug. 22, 2014 9:48 pm

That is a beauty U.D.D. it looks like you and the Mrs. moved to easy street. This stove will amaze all that bask in it's warmth, nice job!

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”