This Should Heat My Breezeway

DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Post by DePippo79 » Sat. Jul. 19, 2014 3:17 pm

Never even thought about the metal skin on the outside of the door. My wife got some special primer thats supposedly designed to make paint stick to tough surfaces. We'll try that and repaint the metal door. The previous paint you could literally peel right off. I would still like to see it go away. Anyway the baseboard is all cut to length and mitered and dadoed with the first coat of stain applied. I worked one of my days off so I still haven't done anything with the floor yet. Just going to build a laminated beam and place it under the floor joist where the radiator is going. Thanks for the suggestions. Mike A. I didn't even think about shilac. Probably would have been a better choice. This was one of those spur of the moment projects. Matt

Attachments

100_4804.JPG

wall paint is done.

.JPG | 80.6KB | 100_4804.JPG
100_4805.JPG

Baseboard and top trim.

.JPG | 87.3KB | 100_4805.JPG

DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.

Post by DePippo79 » Sun. Jul. 20, 2014 3:19 am

Just got home from work 0315 and this is what the wife was doing. I love my wife. She's using soy-gel to strip the paint. What a awesome product. Well she can stay up I'm going to bed. Matt

Attachments

100_4823.JPG

paint yet to be removed.

.JPG | 49.2KB | 100_4823.JPG
100_4822.JPG

Paint coming right off. The green is the original color of the house.

.JPG | 80.6KB | 100_4822.JPG

DePippo79

Post by DePippo79 » Sun. Jul. 20, 2014 3:24 am

Pictures facing the right way.

Attachments

100_4822.JPG
.JPG | 81.1KB | 100_4822.JPG
100_4823.JPG
.JPG | 50KB | 100_4823.JPG

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sun. Jul. 20, 2014 10:53 am

It looks great Matt, the Mrs. is a keeper! I love home projects, to hell with shellac, diy's are finished with love and pride.

DePippo79

Post by DePippo79 » Fri. Aug. 22, 2014 6:52 pm

Ah!!!!!!!!!! The saga continues. So proud of myself. Got the 100+ year old fittings out without destroying anything. Good thing for Mr. Oxy and Mr. Acetylene and a good chisel. As for the breezeway my wife decided to strip all the trim and we found some more problems. Namely the window trim. Looks like one of the previous owners drywalled right over the whole wall. They replaced the door trim with some original trim and some reproduction, but drywalled over the original window trim. They didn't even use a real window sill. Mine assumption that the breezeway was never finished is wrong. Looks like it was plastered. Oh well bck to work. Matt

Attachments

015.jpg

Old fittings.

.JPG | 196.9KB | 015.jpg
019.jpg

New fittings. Cat aproved.

.JPG | 80.5KB | 019.jpg

DePippo79

Post by DePippo79 » Mon. Oct. 27, 2014 11:18 am

Finally. On vacation this week. Movers are coming to move the monster in the house. I'll have a surprise too. Pictures to follow. Can't wait. Matt

DePippo79

Post by DePippo79 » Mon. Oct. 27, 2014 1:01 pm

There in!!!!!!! The breezeway radiator fits right in. Not as overwhelming as I thought it would be. Don't mind the unfinished woodwork. Tough doing things peace meal.
Still have to finish trimming out the window and add the top molding. Along with the other walls. The radiator by the stairs was removed by the people in the seventies so they could put a closet there. I restored it and put it back where it belongs. Still have to repair there butcher job on a few stair treads and replicate a corbel. Well busy day of plumbing planned. There not going to pipe themselves. Matt

Attachments

029.jpg
.JPG | 98.7KB | 029.jpg
031.jpg
.JPG | 75.4KB | 031.jpg
033.jpg
.JPG | 63.7KB | 033.jpg
035.jpg
.JPG | 53.7KB | 035.jpg
036.jpg
.JPG | 108.1KB | 036.jpg

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Thu. Oct. 30, 2014 6:00 am

You know that this will make you appreciate all the folks who still have and love their cast radiators. From a 'different generation', but quality NEVER loses it appeal. Enjoy!!!!!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Oct. 30, 2014 7:51 am

Indeed Matt. Real nice install:)

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Thu. Oct. 30, 2014 7:58 am

Matt,

Id bet that the radiator in the breezeway will end up warming a lot of frozen fannies and mittens. Did you use poplar to make the wainscoting? It all looks super , keep on chargin'

jeff

DePippo79

Post by DePippo79 » Thu. Oct. 30, 2014 11:40 am

Thanks for the comments. The beadboard is fir, the baseboard is poplar. Yeah it throws the heat. I had it all plumbed in Tuesday night. I wimped out and used steel pipe for the risers and then new copper to the existing copper for the old baseboard. I wanted to do steel pipe all the way back to the boiler header, but I didn't want to be cutting and threading pipe all week. More projects to do. I couldn't believe how easy it was to fill and bleed. Took no more than 20 minutes. Glad I didn't go through the trouble with the monoflow tees. It heats up quick enough. As far as performance I had the thermostat set at 68 deg. yesterday. Went out with dad and when I came home the wife said she had to turn it down to 60 deg. Breezeway was over 80 deg. I cannot believe it got cool enough in there to trip the thermostat. Mid sixties here yesterday. Computer room stove I let burn out Mon. night, so no supplemental heat. My conclusion is the radiator actually throws enough BTU's out to actually heat soak the room. (ex. walls, furniture), another factor is with the EK 2000 the circulator doesn't stop untill all the heat is out of the water. So just because the thermostat stops calling for heat, water is still circulating. Today I have the thermostat set at 65 deg. and it's going to be in the 30's tonight. We'll see how it does. The radiator by the stairs I'll do that one after winter. This close to cold weather I really don't want to play with the main house zone. Now that I have the house taking care of it's time to think about barn heating options. Take care. Matt
Last edited by DePippo79 on Fri. Oct. 31, 2014 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

DePippo79

Post by DePippo79 » Fri. Oct. 31, 2014 3:20 am

Some numbers.
Outside temp 39 deg.
Inside breezeway 67 deg. Thermostat called for heat.
Thermostat setting 64 deg. 3 deg. Differential.
Total burner run time to bring zone up to temp 10 min.
Total time to satisfy thermostat 20 min.
Current breezeway temp. 72 deg. circulator still running to extract all heat from water. Circulator shuts off when return temp hits 130 deg.
Wonder how much oil was wasted over the years because previous owners/HVAC guy undersized POS baseboard???????????
A happy Matt with his 100+ year old radiator.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Fri. Oct. 31, 2014 8:13 am

Matt those radiators are a testament to your outstanding work! They look warm :), ..boy you have a beautiful home.

DePippo79

Post by DePippo79 » Fri. Oct. 31, 2014 11:02 am

Thanks Mike. I didn't do anything to the one in the breezeway. I didn't even check it for leaks until it was in the house. Once it was in I hooked two garden hoses to the risers and flushed it with town water pressure. I figured if it didn't leak at town pressure, the 12 psi my system runs at isn't going to hurt it. Surprisedly no gunk came out. Can't remember if it was in service or not when removed from the hotel. Took a gamble and I got lucky. I would have liked to have stripped and repainted it before hand, but it was on it's side and I wouldn't have been able to do a decent job. As far as the house it was on the market for a while and I think we got it because it wasn't modern enough for prospective buyers. Wife and I love it though. One of those right place, right time things. Only thing that really eats me is the people in the 70's enclosed the wrap around porch. That's going to be the hardest to undo. Fortunately the people we bought the house from removed all the 70's paneling except for my computer room. We repair the plaster walls a little at a time. Concentrating on the upstair rooms. Plaster is in good shape. Only a few cracks here and there. That will be another thread. "How to restore plaster without a sledgehammer". Thanks for the interest. Matt

DePippo79

Post by DePippo79 » Fri. Nov. 07, 2014 7:44 pm

Found this. Little history about the breezeway radiator. Matt
http://bungalow-rescue.blogspot.com/2013/02/those ... ional.html

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”