Blasack Coal

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Thu. Aug. 28, 2014 10:44 am

Well considering my house was built in 1874 and they were doing it then I think my excuse will be I am 'restoring' the driveway back to original. I am betting if you had a lace you wanted to put down some pavers or stone in would make a real nice base for them.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Aug. 28, 2014 1:32 pm

Great for traction but if you track it into the house you'll never live to tell about it.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Aug. 28, 2014 2:08 pm

I'm pretty sure I'm real glad I don't live in Ct. anymore. Although I did live in the Darian, New Canaan area for a couple yrs. for work.I don't remember it bein so prima donnish & my Aunt Lucille was WAY anal about her house :clap: toothy

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Aug. 28, 2014 2:16 pm

coaledsweat wrote:Great for traction but if you track it into the house you'll never live to tell about it.
It helps your longevity if the lady of the house grew up cooking on a coal range, with a coal bin off the pantry, a coal stove in the parlor, and a gravel driveway covered with coal ash. She'd rather cook on a coal stove than any modern gas, or electric range so a little coal or ash dust tracked around is no big deal to her.

In fact, normally, I do all the stove maintenance, loading, ash dumping, and damper adjusting. However, she loves it when I take an afternoon nap in my chair. Then she gets to bring up coal and load and adjust the stove like she did when she was a kid.

She's more likely to kill me if I don't let her play with the coal stoves ! :D

Paul

Stoker6268
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by Stoker6268 » Thu. Aug. 28, 2014 4:42 pm

freetown fred wrote:I'm pretty sure I'm real glad I don't live in Ct. anymore. Although I did live in the Darian, New Canaan area for a couple yrs. for work.I don't remember it bein so prima donnish & my Aunt Lucille was WAY anal about her house :clap: toothy
Prima donnish? We lived I CT 42 yrs. We could handle the prima donnas, it was the crime and cost of living that got us to leave. Dont miss anything about it.
Ive got a very long driveway. Been resurfacing nicely with coal ash.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”