Switched to Donson/Coal Contractors From Kimmel's

daluds
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by daluds » Tue. Mar. 25, 2014 10:27 pm

I was able to order a 1.5 tons of Donson/Coal Contractor's bagged coal, and tried my first 5 bags over last couple of days.

The Kimmel's coal has been very wet and frozen like a brick during this cold weather, and the fines have been clogging the back pressure holes in the upper feed tube.

It appears the Donson coal is burning better. The bags of Donson coal are not frozen solid like the Kimmel bags are even though the coal in the Donson bags is still a bit wet. I was able to dump the bags of Donson coal directly into my coal bin without having to melt/dry it in another bin first as I do with the Kimmel's coal.

Hopefully, this coal will be better for the DF520. Still having cold weather so just in time to try it.

Dave

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Mar. 26, 2014 5:41 am

I have been burning rice from Coal Contractors all winter with good results...but then again, I never had any problems with Kimmel's either.

daluds

Post by daluds » Wed. Apr. 16, 2014 9:20 pm

Donson coal is working much better. It is still wet, but not as much. Doesn't seem to have a lot of fines and ash seems less. Still have 1 ton left to burn.

daluds

Post by daluds » Thu. Aug. 28, 2014 11:10 pm

Used up the 1.5 tons with no problems so appears to be the coal. Trying another brand this year.

Mark (PA)
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1953 EFM520 Highboy

Post by Mark (PA) » Sun. Sep. 07, 2014 9:10 pm

IF you can get Blaschak coal you will be hooked....

I was not really a big believer in coal being all THAT different. After trying from several breakers let me tell you.. There is a huge difference. At least when it comes to burning in an EFM since that is my only experience...

Blaschak burns the cleanest with least amount of ash period. Other coal I have used is like burning Soft coal at times even compared to B....

So again if you have the option and can get it at a reasonable price.. I am betting you'll never burn anything else... My .02! Good luck.

daluds

Post by daluds » Sun. Sep. 07, 2014 11:20 pm

Mark - Thanks. Bought 7 tons of Blaschak to try. I have to burn off another ton of Kimmels, and then will clean out the EMF real good and try the Blaschak. The Coal Contractors was good too. Thanks. Dave

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”