When Do You Light Your Stove?

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Sun. Aug. 31, 2014 8:50 am

blrman07 wrote:When Momma says "It's getting chilly in here."

Rev. Larry
This. Usually around the end of October. Speaking of which, I need to get coal. I've been slacking this summer.

fifthg
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: warm morning # 500
Baseburners & Antiques: Peninsular Western Hot Blast No.44K and Reading Foundry & Supply Co.

Post by fifthg » Sun. Aug. 31, 2014 10:32 am

When being too cold is worse than being too hot,and mama is the judge.Learn the art of slow burn and watch your pyromania blossom from there.Windowstats work well when it's too hot,mama when it's too cold.

steamshovel

Post by steamshovel » Mon. Sep. 08, 2014 7:58 pm

hotblast1357 wrote:I know this is a question that has a lot of variables in it, but I'm young and don't have much history in the brain yet lol I'm just curious to when the "average" time of year is that everyone starts lighting there stoves? I have a feeling that before ya know it the cold will be here, I live in Plattsburgh NY
most years it's first week of November

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Mon. Sep. 15, 2014 5:45 am

The it felt this morning when I got out of bed I am not sure if I can make it to October. 47 degrees out and the house pretty cool. Time to wash the windows and at least get the 3M window film on so not a last minute thing like last year. Next week looking like mid 40's at night but high 60's during the day. With only 12 feet of stack from stove to chimney cap it might be tough to get a decent draft in high 60's so I guess it is some wood at night then let it go out. That will get old quick I am sure so maybe I will be starting by running the stove at a low setting sooner than I planed.

On a different subject what is the Dwyer manometer of choice?

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Sep. 15, 2014 6:03 am

The Dwyer mark 2 is awesome, it is much bigger than it looks though lol

ddahlgren

Post by ddahlgren » Mon. Sep. 15, 2014 6:22 am

hotblast1357 wrote:The Dwyer mark 2 is awesome, it is much bigger than it looks though lol
Here is a heads up the MK II 25 is 58 at Amazon and 34 direct from Dwyer

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Pressure/Manome ... 7AodbWAAXQ

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Sep. 15, 2014 6:48 am

The Dwyer Mark II model 25 is the one. It has the expanded scale perfectly suited for low pressure readings. I bought mine on eBay for around $30 after shipping.. make sure its the model 25 and not the model 27...

ddahlgren

Post by ddahlgren » Mon. Sep. 15, 2014 7:05 am

It is the 25 will order it this afternoon!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Sep. 15, 2014 7:44 am

ddahlgren wrote:
hotblast1357 wrote:The Dwyer mark 2 is awesome, it is much bigger than it looks though lol
Here is a heads up the MK II 25 is 58 at Amazon and 34 direct from Dwyer

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Pressure/Manome ... 7AodbWAAXQ
There are several places on Amazon that sell the Dwyer Mark II 25 , . . . all at different prices. Here's where I bought my two, at the lowest price on Amazon. - $28.00 each.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009PAN3C8/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

Paul

ddahlgren

Post by ddahlgren » Tue. Sep. 23, 2014 5:57 am

Second wood fire this morning of the season it is in the mid 40's and house cooling off but supposed to be in the mid 70's this afternoon. The old wood stovetop is 500 and not too much heat another few weeks and it might be time to learn how to burn coal. I better get cracking on fixing the Crane 404 door hinges to be able to do that!

JohnB
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Mostly nut, some pea

Post by JohnB » Tue. Sep. 23, 2014 11:52 am

I had one small wood fire in the Hitzer last Friday but so far that's it. With lots of windows on the south side of the house the sunny days are doing a good job of keeping the house toasty.

ddahlgren

Post by ddahlgren » Tue. Sep. 23, 2014 1:50 pm

JohnB wrote:I had one small wood fire in the Hitzer last Friday but so far that's it. With lots of windows on the south side of the house the sunny days are doing a good job of keeping the house toasty.
It is about the same here.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Tue. Sep. 23, 2014 2:20 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:I usually try to hold off until the outdoor night time temps start dropping into the upper 40's and the daytime temps into the upper 50's.
Same here. When it's consistently in the 50s during the day and the 40s at night. Until then we burn oil :( because it's more or less instant-on/instant-off. This has been a strange summer -- I think the only month we didn't burn a little oil for heat was July. When it's too cold I get more than "the look", I get "the word" too. :lol:

ddahlgren

Post by ddahlgren » Tue. Sep. 23, 2014 6:57 pm

rberq wrote:
Sunny Boy wrote:I usually try to hold off until the outdoor night time temps start dropping into the upper 40's and the daytime temps into the upper 50's.
Same here. When it's consistently in the 50s during the day and the 40s at night. Until then we burn oil :( because it's more or less instant-on/instant-off. This has been a strange summer -- I think the only month we didn't burn a little oil for heat was July. When it's too cold I get more than "the look", I get "the word" too. :lol:
Nothing like having a cord of wood and a dozen cut up pallets for kindling. A 3 hour burn makes the chill go away until the next morning. The wood mostly fallen trees and the pallets free as well around here. The kindling is ready and loaded with big pieces close by. The only oil I burn is for hot water and thinking about changing that as electric is currently cheaper than oil for that. The oil for HW is about 50 to 75 gallons a year.

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Fri. Sep. 26, 2014 5:19 am

Late October. Any sooner and it is hard to keep the fire going low enough to not heat me out. Yes I use the window-stats, but then I am wasting coal. I have been giving thought to making a modification for over the fire air vent and a baffel for exhaust that would alow me to heat with wood in the Hitzer spring and fall. Also would have to pull the baro out and cap the pipe while burning wood.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”