Warm Morning With Radiators

knakki
Hand Fed Coal Stove: locke 400 warm morning
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove

Post by knakki » Sat. Sep. 13, 2014 3:30 pm

I put a warm morning in the house that previously had an oil burner with a water jacket for radiators and jacket for hot water. there is now a water heater for the potable hot water in the house and i'd like to rig up a way to heat the radiators in the house.

controlling the heat inst necessary as long as there warm. right now the radiators are actually cold to touch and I feel as tho they suck heat out of the rooms.
I figure warm water moving through them is better than cold sitting in them. I have alot of the old hardware from the oil burner; cartridge pump, plumbing.

I have several size radiators that are not installed laying around and was thinking I could take one of the smaller ones and build a frame above the stove and rest one of the radiators on it, then plumb the system back in. I could wire up the pump to turn on a few times an hour for several minutes and let the hot/warm water naturally raise and fall throughout the house system.

my question is, well, has anyone done similar to this? what other things need to be taken into consideration? I'm completely unfamiliar with radiant heating system. the expansion tank the valving, everything.. I've never had to plumb them in, prep them or install them.

knakki

Post by knakki » Sat. Sep. 13, 2014 3:38 pm

I currently only have one register in the floor which is fed from 8" round duct work that is hooked up to the front of the stack heater with an in line fan right below the floor. I'd like to run duct work from the second floor to the basement and suck the cold air down into the basement to allow the heat to have somewhere to raise as well.

I feel its easier to move dense cold air down than it is to move hot light air.

Attachments

coalstove.jpg
.JPG | 69.7KB | coalstove.jpg

knakki

Post by knakki » Sat. Sep. 20, 2014 6:37 pm

ive since fitted my stove with a coil.. I have my plumbing drawing here.. i'd like someone who's good with plumbing to comment on it please.

Attachments

plumbing.png
.PNG | 14.7KB | plumbing.png

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Sun. Sep. 21, 2014 1:34 am

You need an expansion tank feed water valve and low water cut off should the boiler get a leak or become a runaway.

knakki

Post by knakki » Sun. Sep. 21, 2014 5:54 pm

Expansion tank on which side of the coil? Or after the water tank? Or before it?

I already have a feed with a checkvalve feeding water to the system. What kind of device does low water shuttoff since it can always get more water?

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Sep. 21, 2014 6:30 pm

Could you post a picture of the water coil in the stove?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”