Coffee 9-6-2014

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Fri. Sep. 12, 2014 5:21 am

My buddy Joe just bought a 9,000 pound lift for $1, 400 delivered. It's not the best lift ever, but it's new and works OK.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Fri. Sep. 12, 2014 9:57 am

I've been looking at the ones at Greg Smith Equipment. All made in china, of course ..... but they claim these are the exact same ones that have the big money name-brand stickers on them selling for 3x the amount. They visit the factories in china, and they know of all their manufacturing practices, and only deal with the good ones. I've bought several large items from these guys, and it's all good stuff. Haven't had an issue with any of it, and they stand behind their products - meaning you can actually get replacement parts if something breaks.

Check out some of the lift test vids. They have a lift failure caught on film - scary! And that was at far less than the advertised capacity of the lift! :shock:

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/

Here's the link to the lift failure - a 10k lb. advertised unit (scroll to the bottom): http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/2-Post-Lifts_2# ... st-Lifts_2

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sat. Sep. 13, 2014 9:57 pm

I have two four post lifts from Greg Smith equipement sales. I did not realize that they were made in China. I bought my first one in '98, second in '01. I've had noting but good service from them. The name on the lifts is 'Direct Lift'.

Greg L

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Sun. Sep. 14, 2014 8:38 am

Morning Greg,

I have the occasion to think of you every school day as I pass by the student parking lot after I drop off the kids at the high school. Remember a year or two ago when I had the opportunity to save a mint 72 LeMans when it caught on fire as I was driving by and I gave the owner the bus's fire extinguisher? That same car is parked everyday in the student lot at the school. That's not where I'd ever have expected to see such a nice car. I don't know that that's where I'd park that car. Take care, Lisa

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Sun. Sep. 14, 2014 11:34 am

Greg, maybe back in '98 they were still made here. These days the brand they sell is Atlas. I have an electronic wheel balancer, a large toolbox, and a motorcycle lift - all good quality stuff.

Return to “The Coffee House”