One Time Deal for a Glenwood Magazine

Pancho
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Post by Pancho » Tue. Sep. 16, 2014 7:38 pm

dhansen wrote:Here is my report.

I received my magazine a couple of weeks back but there was a problem with one of the halves that made it unusable. I let AL know and he immediately apologized for the false start and offered to send another set out the next day. Instead, I measured and took photos of the half that fit perfectly and Al has now sent a virtual mirror image part to complete my set.

All is well that ends well.............. Sort of. My magazine is going in my Glenwood 116 which I ran last winter and absolutely love. The first thing I noticed with the magazine in place is that it extends down below or is maybe even with the top of the fire pot. I regularly heap up my coal load well above the outlet of the magazine so the effective increase in coal capacity possible with the magazine is reduced by at least 10%.
I have not received my mag yet and have been too busy during the day to call Al........but I will say this, if it fits everywhere else and is just long for your application, it's easy to make something shorter. It's an easy fix when you determine zactly how long it needs to be.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Sep. 17, 2014 6:04 am

dhansen wrote:Here is my report.

I received my magazine a couple of weeks back but there was a problem with one of the halves that made it unusable. I let AL know and he immediately apologized for the false start and offered to send another set out the next day. Instead, I measured and took photos of the half that fit perfectly and Al has now sent a virtual mirror image part to complete my set.

All is well that ends well.............. Sort of. My magazine is going in my Glenwood 116 which I ran last winter and absolutely love. The first thing I noticed with the magazine in place is that it extends down below or is maybe even with the top of the fire pot. I regularly heap up my coal load well above the outlet of the magazine so the effective increase in coal capacity possible with the magazine is reduced by at least 10%.

This made me curious about the height of the 116 barrel compared to other stoves the magazine might be used in. I happen to have a Glenwood No.6 project out in the shop and the barrel on it is about 21 inches tall compared to about 18 inches on the 116. Those 3 inches are just about how much higher I'd like to see the magazine in the No.116. Now I wonder if the replacement barrel used on my 116 is shorter than the original barrel from the factory? I had always assumed the No.6 and the 116 would have used about the same barrel.

So it looks like I won't be using the magazine until the No.6 comes online. ('Gotta have some new base pans before that can happen). I'd have taken photos to illustrate but my camera, which worked 3 days ago, now seems to be in SNAFU mode. My 45 year old Minolta SRT101 film camera still works fine but there is no slot in my computer that I can cram the film into to have it developed. It is a conspiracy, I say, with all this new fangled E-lectronic garbage.
Dennis,
Maybe you could have a sheet metal shop make a 3 inch extension for the top of the 116 barrel ? Would just make it all the better for heating.

Paul

oldmanstyle
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8 Baseburner
Coal Size/Type: Nut & Stove Anthracite

Post by oldmanstyle » Wed. Sep. 17, 2014 11:37 am

Thanks for the info Sunny Boy !

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Sep. 17, 2014 1:43 pm

oldmanstyle wrote:Thanks for the info Sunny Boy !
Your welcome, . . but the real thanks should go to Dave (dlj) for putting the project together and making it happen.

Paul

dhansen

Post by dhansen » Wed. Sep. 17, 2014 8:51 pm

Sunny Boy wrote: Dennis,
Maybe you could have a sheet metal shop make a 3 inch extension for the top of the 116 barrel ? Would just make it all the better for heating.

Paul
I'll have to think about that. For now I think I'll just hang onto the magazine for use in the No.6 once it is ready to go online.

Not a bad idea though at all..........

Pancho

Post by Pancho » Thu. Sep. 18, 2014 11:26 am

GOT MY MAG!!!!!!!!!!!.

Waaahhooooooooo. Nice lookin' piece too. Thanks a ton dlj.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Sep. 19, 2014 9:39 am

Great Pancho, now fit it to your #8 and find out all the gotchas. That way I won't have to get aggravated when I get my #8. Don't forget pics and nuts/bolts used. Can someone else try it on a Wings for me and do all the hard work there too. I'm feeling lazy today. While you are all lazing around reading this, will someone search out a mag for my Herald too. If you are still reading this I also want a back fire screen to deflect heat on my new Glenwood #9.:D

I'm going back to bed - my back hurts.

Pancho

Post by Pancho » Sat. Sep. 20, 2014 7:59 am

coalnewbie wrote:Great Pancho, now fit it to your #8 and find out all the gotchas. That way I won't have to get aggravated when I get my #8. Don't forget pics and nuts/bolts used. Can someone else try it on a Wings for me and do all the hard work there too. I'm feeling lazy today. While you are all lazing around reading this, will someone search out a mag for my Herald too. If you are still reading this I also want a back fire screen to deflect heat on my new Glenwood #9.:D

It will prolly be next weekend (to many irons in the fire this weekend) but I will do that.

I fitted the halves and it looks like only minimal grinding will be required (I may cheat and throw it on the boring mill at work) and open the bolt holes.

Easy peazy. Looks like a good piece.

PJT
Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Royal Oak; Glenwood Modern Oak 116
Other Heating: propane

Post by PJT » Sun. Sep. 21, 2014 6:18 pm

dhansen wrote:This made me curious about the height of the 116 barrel compared to other stoves the magazine might be used in. I happen to have a Glenwood No.6 project out in the shop and the barrel on it is about 21 inches tall compared to about 18 inches on the 116. Those 3 inches are just about how much higher I'd like to see the magazine in the No.116. Now I wonder if the replacement barrel used on my 116 is shorter than the original barrel from the factory? I had always assumed the No.6 and the 116 would have used about the same barrel.
My 116's barrel is about 18 1/2 inches

dhansen

Post by dhansen » Mon. Sep. 22, 2014 8:33 am

PJT wrote:
dhansen wrote:This made me curious about the height of the 116 barrel compared to other stoves the magazine might be used in. I happen to have a Glenwood No.6 project out in the shop and the barrel on it is about 21 inches tall compared to about 18 inches on the 116. Those 3 inches are just about how much higher I'd like to see the magazine in the No.116. Now I wonder if the replacement barrel used on my 116 is shorter than the original barrel from the factory? I had always assumed the No.6 and the 116 would have used about the same barrel.
My 116's barrel is about 18 1/2 inches
Thanks PjT. I had just sent a PM to Sunny Boy commenting on his though of adding a 3" extension to my 116 to take full advantage of the magazine. In it I said I'd hoped someone else would comment on the height of their No.116. I came back here and noticed someone else had posted in the thread.....

My barrel is about the same length so I think it is safe to assume that is the standard height. As I mentioned, I'll likely save my magazine for use in my No.6 once it gets going. Are you planning on adding a magazine to your No.116?

Thanks!

Dennis

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Sep. 22, 2014 9:16 am

dhansen wrote:
Thanks PjT. I had just sent a PM to Sunny Boy commenting on his though of adding a 3" extension to my 116 to take full advantage of the magazine. In it I said I'd hoped someone else would comment on the height of their No.116. I came back here and noticed someone else had posted in the thread.....

My barrel is about the same length so I think it is safe to assume that is the standard height. As I mentioned, I'll likely save my magazine for use in my No.6 once it gets going. Are you planning on adding a magazine to your No.116?

Thanks!

Dennis
Dennis, you must have sent it to some other Sunny Boy, 'cause I never got it. :D

Anyway, there are a number of ways of joining the extension to the barrel and front casting.

One of the simplest might be to have a tin knocker roll a three inch wide strip of the same gauge sheet metal as the barrel (16 ga ?) into a ring that matches the diameter of the barrel. Then, either butt weld the ends, or over lap, seal, and rivet. Then inside that put a ring of sheet metal that is wide enough to overlap the barrel to just below the three top fastener holes and up far enough to overlap and fasten to the extension.

Use those three original top fastening clip holes in the barrel to fasten the extension and inner ring to the barrel.

Then drill three holes near the top of the extension, directly above the original three top mounting holes so that you can reuse the cast iron clips that original held the top to the barrel can now the hold the top onto the extension.

Caulk between the inner ring and where it contacts the barrel and extension so no caulking shows in the joint between the barrel and the extension.

Paul

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Sep. 22, 2014 8:59 pm

coalnewbie wrote:Great Pancho, now fit it to your #8 and find out all the gotchas. That way I won't have to get aggravated when I get my #8. Don't forget pics and nuts/bolts used. Can someone else try it on a Wings for me and do all the hard work there too. I'm feeling lazy today. While you are all lazing around reading this, will someone search out a mag for my Herald too. If you are still reading this I also want a back fire screen to deflect heat on my new Glenwood #9.:D

Maybe a cold beer with that :) :D :lol:
Salutations.

dhansen

Post by dhansen » Tue. Sep. 23, 2014 9:22 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Dennis, you must have sent it to some other Sunny Boy, 'cause I never got it. :D

Paul
That is odd. Not in my sent folder either. Not sure how I managed to lose that one!

If I didn't have a No.6 waiting in the wings I'd do the 3" extension.

PJT
Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Royal Oak; Glenwood Modern Oak 116
Other Heating: propane

Post by PJT » Tue. Sep. 23, 2014 10:56 am

dhansen wrote: Thanks PjT. I had just sent a PM to Sunny Boy commenting on his though of adding a 3" extension to my 116 to take full advantage of the magazine. In it I said I'd hoped someone else would comment on the height of their No.116. I came back here and noticed someone else had posted in the thread.....

Thanks!

Dennis
Welcome Dennis!

Yes Id like to add a magazine at some point but still just in the restoration phase and Id rather spend the money on a recirculating back pipe setup but the original parts are sooooo expensive if you can find them at all.

Also, anybody know how they used to attach the extension barrels in the old days? Im assuming it was a separate piece.

oldmanstyle
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8 Baseburner
Coal Size/Type: Nut & Stove Anthracite

Post by oldmanstyle » Tue. Sep. 23, 2014 9:15 pm

Got my mag today ! Thank you DLJ and SunnyBoy ! Also a big thanks to Al at Tomahawk (Blue Hills Custom Castings). First class guy at a first class company ! Looking forward to trying this thing out.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”