Glenwood No 9 Base Burner-(Hopefully) a Few Photos

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Wed. Sep. 17, 2014 6:02 am

And I thought I had the fever....

Congrats!

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Sep. 17, 2014 7:16 am

This morning I am singing to my new stove

HAAHHAAHAHAHAHAA.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Wed. Sep. 17, 2014 7:21 am

You do realize that there is no antidote right? The Fever is insidious. Before you realize you have it you look around and your surrounded by stoves. In search of the holy grail, the perfect stove, the one that uses 5 lbs a day and puts out 100K BTU !!!

You think your done?

Admit your disease CN and it will go a lot easier when you just come to the point where you admit you have a problem.

We all know that ain't gonna happen so GOOD SCORE.

Rev. Larry
New Beginning Church
Ashland Pa.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Sep. 17, 2014 7:37 am

Admit your disease CN and it will go a lot easier when you just come to the point where you admit you have a problem.
..... I just drink, I don't have a problem.

Coffee in one hand singing over the stove again

Hifi flat out. :D :D

Base burner, base heater, about 30k BTU easy output on a few pounds of coal a day. Pages and pages of exact operational specs written by some of the best BB minds on the planet and if I have a problem, William will come over.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Sep. 17, 2014 3:14 pm

coalnewbie wrote:Base burner, base heater, about 30k BTU easy output on a few pounds of coal a day. Pages and pages of exact operational specs written by some of the best BB minds on the planet and if I have a problem, William will come over.
So now you have reduced fantasy to hallucination which is good since hallucination is more realistic.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Sep. 17, 2014 4:29 pm

I am glad that the stove went to a good home. I am grateful also that Simon responded as quickly as he did. My back is going to be up against the wall financially until I can go back to work. So, desperate times lead to desperate acts, so I had to sell my little Glenwood.
It is one of the most economical stoves to operate that I have ever owned and for a small to moderate space say up to 1,200 square feet this one CAN'T be bested.
I hope the stove renders as good of service to Simon as it did to me. Of course a Thoroughbred reacts to the hand that holds the reigns, however; I have complete faith that it will do a good job.
I trust I will hear good reports about it during the upcoming heating season.

Attachments

DSC00362.JPG

Our Glenwood No 9 loading door.

.JPG | 132.1KB | DSC00362.JPG

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Sep. 17, 2014 5:33 pm

Of course a Thoroughbred reacts to the hand that holds the reigns, however; I have complete faith that it will do a good job.
I trust I will hear good reports about it during the upcoming heating season.
GULP, now I am under pressure, the master is watching.

All installed. yippee, gimme that c rappy weather. Ya see William, it's all cozy in it's new home and has taken pride of place already.

Attachments

100_0404.JPG

A little dust to be cleaned out first

.JPG | 138.3KB | 100_0404.JPG
100_0405.JPG

Leaf blower does the trick

.JPG | 121.2KB | 100_0405.JPG
100_0415.JPG

The Garnet 48 gets moved over

.JPG | 187KB | 100_0415.JPG
100_0414.JPG

Test fire no smoke

.JPG | 193.7KB | 100_0414.JPG

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Sep. 17, 2014 8:39 pm

It looks like it belongs in its new spot. I am pleased (and relieved) that it is so placed.
It's also amazing how much dirt stays in the secret places within these stoves. Trust me I cleaned it out to the best of my ability with a standard brush and vacuuming. The leaf blower idea looks like it's just the thing to really clean them out.

I have a helpful suggestion for you. Get an old cookie sheet to place in front of the stove when taking out the ash pan. Some of the ash falls in front of the pan, so use the cookie sheet to catch them when you open the bottom door. Not much falls out, but the cookie sheet will catch them and you'll save a lot of effort in keeping the hearth clean.
I'm very picky about cleanliness around the stove. A clean hearth is a happy hearth.
Oh, another great advantage to having the bottom check damper. The check damper goes a long way to keeping dust out of the house. Open it when you are shaking the grates or taking out the ash pan. The open check damper pulls most of the dust from shaking right up the chimney, thus; making that whole exercise much cleaner than when cleaning most stoves.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Sep. 17, 2014 9:01 pm

The fact that you approve William makes my day. The puffs of dust were dramatic and many of them but of course to use a blower you have to be out of the house. Having seen what came out I think this is the protocol once or twice a heating season for these heaters.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Wed. Sep. 17, 2014 9:10 pm

You will only get corrosion if the ashes get damp, like at the end of the season. I don't think it's mandatory to "blow it out" at the end of every season, but it can't hurt, unless you damage any castings while moving it. This No. 9 looks like its easy peasy to tote around though.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Sep. 17, 2014 9:26 pm

I would not care to haul a 40 outside in the depth of winter that would be tough. The #9 is at least movable. I will video the next clean out, it's staggering how much stuff came out and I believe William when he says he cleaned it out to the best of his ability in situ. Platform tickets, fob watches, Victrola needles and a partridge in a pear tree were lodged in there. That has got to help efficiency. I sincerely doubt anything was damaged. Leaving that c rap in there during the summer muggies has got to hurt the steel. The corroded lump formed would be very tough to move.

My theory is - could that be why there is so few stoves left. A few years of that and the steel dissolves.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Sep. 18, 2014 5:33 am

This No. 9 looks like its easy peasy to tote around though.
It's all down to the stove. I really want to get around to replacing the isinglass on the Garnet this winter. It would make for family harmony if I could do that in the shed, however, that thing is impossible to move on a routine basis as it seems to weigh a ton. Now I doubt if I will ever light it. The #9 is correctly sized for the job in hand.

I have been accused of having too many coal stoves. This photo proves they are wrong as you will notice if you tread carefully and breathe in at exactly the right moment you can easily walk between them ... you guys know nothing. :D

Pancho
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Post by Pancho » Thu. Sep. 18, 2014 11:10 am

......................wait.....................................................what the heck is next to the #9 and aren't you waiting on a Wings and a Glenny #8?!?!?!?.

The first step is admitting you have a problem. :)

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Sep. 18, 2014 11:33 am

The first step is admitting you have a problem. :)
but, but you see I had no choice but to help out.... Well yes, I am waiting on a Glenny and a Herald that is true too but Wilson needed the money too... well he didn't actually need the money, I just thought he did at the time. Sigh.

I guess you guys have nailed me I do have a problem and it's a serious one perhaps it's a sign of inadequacy in some way that I need to fulfill. Perhaps it's an nonfixable mental issue that needs professional help. Perhaps I should phone Wilson and cancel the stoves that would be a step in the right direction wouldn't it now. OK, I had my morning coffee and looked hard into the mirror, facing the issue is the first step.

OK, I faced it and this is the resolution .... I will phone Wilson and asked him if he ever came across a Quaker #8 I would like to add that to my collection.

How am I doing???

PS, just an afterthought, let's take CT as an example. 50% of that state will never, ever be connected to NG. Propain and HO are the only games in town besides that wood stuff that is getting hard to get and very expensive. When I drive into the state the first sign states welcome to CT, 20' after that one is a white sign firewood regulated. So what is happening is that anthracite is becoming known as the ONLY fuel of choice. Baseburners/heaters are becoming rarer than hens teeth just try and get one and just to make it worse the plating costs are going through the roof thx to the EPA. So the value of these super efficient heaters will only go up up and away. WOW, that would mean I'm the only sane one here (I have long suspected that one) and all you guys are crazy instead.... nah, that can't be can it?

Oh Wilson where are you ... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I slay myself.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Sep. 18, 2014 11:40 am

coalnewbie wrote:I would not care to haul a 40 outside in the depth of winter that would be tough. The #9 is at least movable. I will video the next clean out, it's staggering how much stuff came out and I believe William when he says he cleaned it out to the best of his ability in situ. Platform tickets, fob watches, Victrola needles and a partridge in a pear tree were lodged in there. That has got to help efficiency. I sincerely doubt anything was damaged. Leaving that c rap in there during the summer muggies has got to hurt the steel. The corroded lump formed would be very tough to move.

My theory is - could that be why there is so few stoves left. A few years of that and the steel dissolves.
Like happened with the automobile, newer designs and a couple of large-scale war scrap drives, with the depression in between, likely accounted for more old cast iron stoves going to the scarp yards then rust ever did.

Paul

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”