Free Coal in Newark NJ

JWLLY3500
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93

Post by JWLLY3500 » Thu. Jun. 12, 2014 8:37 pm

I'm not sure where this should be posted, so I apologize if it is in the wrong spot. Last night I drove to Newark, NJ to look at some free coal in the basement of a 7 story building. I would say there is about 30 tons of it that the guy just wants to get rid of! It was hard work but I took 2 tons out in 5 gallon buckets and it seems to be pretty nice stuff. I have burned pea coal for 5 years and I always go to the breakers north of Tower City and Hegins PA, so I am no expert on quality of coal. The building was built in 1890 and the boiler is the size of a full size van. The coal looks like pea with just a little bit of smaller stuff than I am used to.

How can I know if it is anthracite?

What should I be concerned about?

Does anyone else want some? I only burn about 2 tons a year.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I don't want to take 30 tons of coal that turns out to be junk.

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Thu. Jun. 12, 2014 8:56 pm

You're a brave man. Newark is a warzone. When I have to work in that hell hole those work orders go to the bottom of the pile and those jobs are done when I'm specifically told, 'These jobs are past due and need to get completed.', after about 100 times.

JWLLY3500

Post by JWLLY3500 » Thu. Jun. 12, 2014 9:15 pm

The scenery was a little different than what this farm kid is used to. The building is about 150 yards from the Prudential center.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Thu. Jun. 12, 2014 9:33 pm

JWLLY3500 wrote:I'm not sure where this should be posted, so I apologize if it is in the wrong spot. Last night I drove to Newark, NJ to look at some free coal in the basement of a 7 story building. I would say there is about 30 tons of it that the guy just wants to get rid of! It was hard work but I took 2 tons out in 5 gallon buckets and it seems to be pretty nice stuff. I have burned pea coal for 5 years and I always go to the breakers north of Tower City and Hegins PA, so I am no expert on quality of coal. The building was built in 1890 and the boiler is the size of a full size van. The coal looks like pea with just a little bit of smaller stuff than I am used to.

What should I be concerned about?

Does anyone else want some? I only burn about 2 tons a year.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I don't want to take 30 tons of coal that turns out to be junk.
Can you get me about 4 tonnes? Your a pro now... :D :D

I'll be waiting up tonight for the delivery.

Thanks in advance.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Jun. 13, 2014 4:13 am

If it's good anthracite, it'll be deep black , hard, and shiny. The shinier, the better. If it's real old, it'll look dull and dry. Either will burn fine.
A friend gave me several buckets of coal that had been in a basement coal bin of an old house. Burned just like new with a bit less blue flames.

And at that price who cares if it's not the very best ?

BTW, thanks for sharing that.

Paul

wilder11354
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260 Boiler
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

Post by wilder11354 » Tue. Jul. 22, 2014 9:07 pm

Yep, definitely don't go to downtown Newark at night. Back in 70's I use to walk around newark. My uncle had a factory over in Harrison, iron bound section, across river from newark. There were some good places to eat, and we'd hop bus over and eat and walk around during week days. Probably lots of coal in that vincinity, thats in basements and not used.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Tue. Jul. 22, 2014 9:24 pm

Burn it, if yellow flame and smoke it's Bit..

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Wed. Jul. 23, 2014 6:16 am

Boy if only I lived closer, 5hr drive is just too much, we just went 2 hrs away last weekend and picked up 3 ton for 425 bucks, but when we got there found out we had to re bag it ALL due to the bags being rotted from being in the sun lots of work but still worth it

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Jul. 23, 2014 7:26 am

Anthracite that has been sitting for years can look dull from the dust. Wash it off with water, if it looks very different it be the good stuff. :)

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Mon. Sep. 08, 2014 1:03 pm

wilder11354 wrote:Yep, definitely don't go to downtown Newark at night. Back in 70's I use to walk around newark. My uncle had a factory over in Harrison, iron bound section, across river from newark. There were some good places to eat, and we'd hop bus over and eat and walk around during week days. Probably lots of coal in that vincinity, thats in basements and not used.
There's still a ton of good places to eat in Newark. Although I tend to not eat at any of them because when I'm there I want to finish what I'm doing and get the hell out.

UncleDoDat
Hand Fed Coal Stove: King-O-Heat
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald #6
Coal Size/Type: Nut & Stove Size
Other Heating: Natural Gas

Post by UncleDoDat » Wed. Sep. 17, 2014 11:25 pm

I take the ride and fight my way in and out for some free coal. :rambo:

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”