Kast Console II or Hitzer 503

WantinWarmth

Post by WantinWarmth » Thu. Sep. 18, 2014 8:12 am

New to the Forum but I've been secretly lurking for a while. I finally talked my wife into making the switch. So, I am looking for opinion from all the great members of this site. We have decided on either the alaska Kast console II or Hitzer 503. I like the Hitzer but here lies my problem the wife like the idea of a fireplace look and that will probably be the deciding factor on if we go coal. Problem is we don't have a current fireplace so, I would have to build or have built a spot to place the stove. She really wants a corner fireplace so, I was thinking The Alaska maybe a better option if it could be powervented out the wall. Then I could build a fake fireplace surround with built in bookshelves on each side to acces rear of stove. I would prefer the hitzer but am not sure if I could build a corner fireplace that would be safe.

Thanx in advance, glad to be on my way to oil free!

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Sep. 18, 2014 8:20 am

I would think stove clearences will prevent doing what you describe.

The insert will work when used as designed in a Masonry fireplace.

These units are NOT Zero Clearence.

WantinWarmth

Post by WantinWarmth » Thu. Sep. 18, 2014 9:35 am

This is why I thought the Alaska would be a possibility because I could build a wall to place it in front of for the look of a fireplace. It would be constructed of metal stud framing, duraroc and non combustable simulated stone. Have a hearth extension (floor protection). I also talked to alaska and they said the stove could be direct vented. I just want to be safe and make the boss warm and happy with the look of the stove.

WantinWarmth

Post by WantinWarmth » Thu. Sep. 18, 2014 10:02 am

Also with the hitzer I was thinking of building an elevated hearth to set it on all of steel. Then framing around it with 6" of clearance and cladding inside of box with a layer of duraroc covered with ceramic tile. Also insulating outside of frame with mineral wool fire retardant batts and another layer of duraroc. Then connecting the insert directly to a class A chimney and also packing insulation in the cavity between stove body and simulated fireplace firebox.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Sep. 18, 2014 10:05 am

WantinWarmth wrote:This is why I thought the Alaska would be a possibility because I could build a wall to place it in front of for the look of a fireplace. It would be constructed of metal stud framing, duraroc and non combustable simulated stone. Have a hearth extension (floor protection). I also talked to alaska and they said the stove could be direct vented. I just want to be safe and make the boss warm and happy with the look of the stove.
We can see what others here have to say, but to me, that is Zero Clearence.

WantinWarmth

Post by WantinWarmth » Thu. Sep. 18, 2014 12:33 pm

I appreciate your opinion/response. I know the alaska is intended as a hearth model but my wall would be built of non combustable material as well as having a framed opening roughly 1" smaller than stove h" x w" so nearly all of the back would be accessible from behind wall.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Sep. 18, 2014 1:08 pm

The two stoves are very different. One is a stoker.

First decide if you want to rely on electricity and a direct vent with motors and blowers running 24 hours a day 7 days a week with attendant noise and reliability concerns. Forget fire view as glass will soon be such that only a red glow is visible.

Why get an insert like the 503 with its own problems when you are starting with a clean slate and lack anything to insert it in.

A free standing stove with a chimney is the only way to go for easiest use, efficiency and best looks. Depending on the stove you can have excellent fire view. A hundred years ago it was decided this was best and they were right, at least until central heat became popular.

Search the thread "Pictures of your stove" and you will see some very attractive installations. Also look at makers web sites for both coal and wood stoves for ideas. The fact that you are willing to build a nice brick hearth and background can make for a great installation. You can also choose between antique or newer stoves, and perhaps buying used can save a lot of money.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Sep. 18, 2014 3:33 pm

Ditto on what franco b said. I would suspect that the wife will not be thrilled with the idea of a free standing if she's hooked on that fire place concept--soooo, get rid the wife & do whatever the hell ya want to. :clap: toothy There's some real nice looking & functional antique baseburners & more modern stoves out there--type in baseburner top right corner search box.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Thu. Sep. 18, 2014 3:49 pm

I'm with Fred!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One has to go,................ and if you won't miss her much, the decision is made. Aesthetics.......GEEEEEEEEZZZEE!! or...you can burn oil or gas and smile while you go broke.........

A fireplace itself is very attractive, but worthless as a heating source, unless it is a 'Russian Stile', but the bricks or stones are pretty, and that appeals to the female side of the world.
Not a tough call, but a tough decision. a happy wife is a happy life....sometimes, but why would anyone want to live in a miserable relationship when you could kick up your heels, freak out uncontrollably, leave the windows open, and make animal noises .......and dance with wolves......or chickens.....or even a damned Gecko.......

Oops that wasn't user friendly was it. True, but not user friendly. Both do the job, one looks more respectable for the 'Philadelphia Educated Set' while the other is more functional and manly.
If you need to make btu's, the decision is sealed, if not, this is where the negotiations begin. Is it a 'real heat source' or more of a trendy thing to do that makes you feel good?!

WantinWarmth

Post by WantinWarmth » Thu. Sep. 18, 2014 6:04 pm

I am truly glad I joined this forum you guys are great! Also through the course of the day me and the misses had a break through. I have located a what appears to be very nice condition Hitzer 30-95 at an attractive price. Bonus that it is only about a 40 minute drive. We are going to look at it Saturday. I told her we should buy this to get the feel for coal then upgrade if the need arises. She liked the idea of the low start up cost and reliability of being electric free. Good things are coming I can feel it.

The stove will be located on the first floor of a 2 story (old) farmhouse. We have insulated all exterior walls and replaced about 1/2 the windows. Going to buy R-38 insulation to place in the attic within the next week or two. Vented through the wall into masonry chimney.

The new location of the stove is centrally located and the house is about 1800 sq ft with a 10x20 single floor room on the back which can stand to be a bit cooler as that's where the huge dog food eatin' machine sleeps.

Is there any thing I'm totally missing in thinking that this stove should keep us comfortable this winter.

Thanks to all. And I'm sure I'll be looking for operation pointers being I'm a total Newb to coal.

Forgot to mention I'm in central lower michigan.

WantinWarmth

Post by WantinWarmth » Thu. Sep. 18, 2014 6:10 pm

Sorry for all the post I'm just very excited! I was just curious if anyone knew about how much nut coal the stove will hold total? On the grates and in the hopper combined. I really wanted a 50-93 if we went this route but price and not having to wait to get it is very attractive.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Sep. 18, 2014 6:21 pm

I like the idea that this stove will give you a feel for coal. That model is well regarded by those who own one. Has both hopper and thermostat for easier use. Should give a nice fire view also. If not large enough you can always go to the 50-93 and recoup the money spent on the 30-95. The beautiful hearth you are going to build will work with most anything. Pictures please when you build it.

WantinWarmth

Post by WantinWarmth » Thu. Sep. 18, 2014 6:23 pm

Absolutely hope it all works out and we can be a little warmer this year.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Sep. 18, 2014 8:50 pm

You'll have that 30-95 workin, but she's a real good stove & like stated, you & Momma will get a feel for the world of coal burning:)

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Sep. 18, 2014 9:02 pm

I think you have made a good choice. A freestanding stove will perform better than an insert, and the silent (electric free) radiant heat will be very comfortable and economical.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”