Summer Time Humidity

WNYRob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker Koker controlled with CoalTrol

Post by WNYRob » Thu. Jun. 05, 2014 2:16 pm

I just wanted to publish some numbers for you guys that shut down their stoves during the summer. I know, in the past, there have been questions concerning humidity levels inside vs outside stoves using different heating arrangements. Here is my experience with a koker.

I have a dry basement, poured concrete walls and floor, natural drain, blah, blah, blah. With a dehumidifier running, the humidity levels run about 60 to 65% at an air temperature of 65 to 70. According to my cheap sensor, this is a "normal" humidity level. Inside my koker, I have an infrared reptile heater running on the floor of the stove and a 60 watt bulb hooked to the stoker rails. With both these running (yes, probably overkill) the temp runs about 90 inside and the humidity level is at about 20%. Now, I am measuring humidity with cheap walmart-type sensors, so accuracy is probably an issue, but you can definitely say there is a significant reduction in humidity levels inside the stove by keeping it warmer than the outside air surrounding it.

Also, I really scrapped down the stove this year (about a month ago) and got it down to bare steel that is still silver (minimal rust forming over the past three years). I did not spray it down with any type of oil based product this time and after a month, there is absolutely no sign of rust forming on the bare metal at the 20% humidity level.

I have used oil based treatments on the stove the past couple summers and am now thinking they were a waste of time since I also heated the stove each summer.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Thu. Jun. 05, 2014 5:33 pm

W. thanks for posting you ideas. Keeping the Inside of the stove is the best way to keep it in the best condition, no rust from humidity. Did you try a lower W. bulb?

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Jun. 05, 2014 5:55 pm

The recommendation which I first heard from Jerry of LL was to use a baking soda and water based solution to wash down the inside of the stove and pipes. That will neutralizer the acids, it's cheap and fairly easy to do. I just did it on my Grandmothers pipes, I'll see what happens.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Jun. 06, 2014 2:32 am

Below are pics of a hydrometer outside and inside the firebox of my furnace. I was hoping my firebox humidity would be lower. It's sealed, has a can of damp rid and a light bulb in it. I also coated it with oil. Could that cheap gauge be getting a false reading from the oil? It does have an odor.. :? If not, I guess my efforts are helping a little bit.. :lol:

Attachments

20140605_195842.jpg
.JPG | 111.8KB | 20140605_195842.jpg
20140606_022528.jpg
.JPG | 83.7KB | 20140606_022528.jpg

WNYRob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker Koker controlled with CoalTrol

Post by WNYRob » Fri. Jun. 06, 2014 7:48 am

Actually, I used just water to wet down a big dry wall sanding sponge to help penetrate the crusted fly ash, making it a little easier to scrape off. I did dry the area that was wet with a shop towel immediately after scraping, but there is no rust forming where it was wet. I found it interesting that the areas that had been displaying rust, when I scrapped them down, there was good, non corroded steel underneath. It was just the iron in the crusted fly ash that was rusting.

A lot of people use light bulbs, but I really like the infrared heater. It doesn't really warm the air directly, it heats the metal surface w/ infrared rays, then the internal walls give up the heat. They do have a range of wattage you can buy, looks like from 60 up to 250 w, so some of them do gobble up electricity.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Jun. 06, 2014 1:55 pm

Do a Search...previous discussions on this subject.

Golden Rod is an option...used in gun safes.

hcarlow
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL 110

Post by hcarlow » Fri. Jun. 06, 2014 2:43 pm

McGiever wrote:Do a Search...previous discussions on this subject.

Golden Rod is an option...used in gun safes.
I used one of those rods last summer with good results so useing it again this summer . They only draw about 10 watts, and the one I bought has a lifetime warranty .

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Sep. 21, 2014 4:45 pm

I just wanted to add here that I noticed my light had blown in the furnace. Probably was out for a few days before I noticed. The hydrometer was reading up around 90%. I put a new light in and within a couple days it had lowered down to 60% or so.. :) And I've drained the little bucket of damp rid twice thru the summer.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”