How Does a Primatic Grate Seal With a Round Fire Pot?

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Sun. Sep. 21, 2014 2:47 am

Do they 4 d shaped fillers or make the grate larger than the fire pot or what?
Last edited by ddahlgren on Sun. Sep. 21, 2014 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Post by DePippo79 » Sun. Sep. 21, 2014 4:17 am

The coal and ash are what makes the seal. There's no mechanical seal (ie. gasket). Pictures from my Glenwood Oak 40. Matt

Attachments

100_4929.JPG
.JPG | 138.6KB | 100_4929.JPG
100_4930.JPG
.JPG | 234.5KB | 100_4930.JPG

ddahlgren

Post by ddahlgren » Sun. Sep. 21, 2014 5:42 am

The first pic shows what looks like some sort of skirt or filler notched to clear the grates though just might be my old eyes too.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Sep. 21, 2014 8:25 am

This may be a bit easier to see with the fire bricks out while I'm making a mold to cast new fire bricks.

The triangular grates extend beyond the bottom edge of the firepot. At least on Glenwoods (maybe others) there is a ledge formed at the bottom of the fire pot to hold the fire bricks up off the grates. The last set of grate bar teeth are near the edge of the fire pot.

The fire three pictures are my #6 showing the fire pot bottom ledge, with a raised lip that the underside of the bottom row of bricks "hook" onto to help keep them in place.

Just below that, you can see that the grate bars are longer than the fire pot's diameter. There is a gap between the underside of the fire pot and grate bars - enough to clear the grate bar shafts as they rotate, but no more gap then there is between the bars, or the bar teeth, to keep all but the smaller pieces of coal from falling through.

There are also four pointed tabs evenly spaced around the bottom ledge that the wood burning plate rests on.

The last two pictures are of my Modern Oak 118 with the bottom pan off showing the grate bars in their frame, and a view into the unlined fire pot.

Notice the similarity of both to Matt's Oak 40 above.

Paul

Attachments

DSCN5275.JPG
.JPG | 213.5KB | DSCN5275.JPG
DSCN5278.JPG
.JPG | 224.9KB | DSCN5278.JPG
DSCN5276.JPG
.JPG | 230.4KB | DSCN5276.JPG
Glenwood 118 coal grate rack..JPG
.JPG | 181.9KB | Glenwood 118 coal grate rack..JPG

ddahlgren

Post by ddahlgren » Sun. Sep. 21, 2014 12:05 pm

Ok I get it now the fixed tabs take care of the space next to the cut down grate bar missing the end prism. Eventually I want to fabricate one as a hobby and trying to figure out how it is going to fit together as I want to make it manufacturable as well..

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Sep. 21, 2014 1:25 pm

manufacturable grate / cassette, fire pot, stove ? please elaborate.

ddahlgren

Post by ddahlgren » Sun. Sep. 21, 2014 9:25 pm

KingCoal wrote:manufacturable grate / cassette, fire pot, stove ? please elaborate.
My day job in the small company I own is to design proto-type parts for some of the fastest cars and motorcycles in the world. I try to design things that if they go beyond one or two examples they can be made in quantity for a reasonable amount of money the 'manufacturable' part. From everything I have read here anything Glenwood is a good example to follow as they have done all the hard work in design and r&d. I see too many very elegant designs that there is no way to hake them simply as they are hard to setup and machine with too many details that add no real value. The whole base burner and free hanging firepot is the next thing to figure out and will give credit to Glenwood in the design as their patents have expired long ago since issued Basically base burner performance at a well built box stove price. I am a crazy inventor type that can think outside of the box learn form others that have done the hard work and try to make something that can be built economically headed for semi retirement but does not want to stop thinking. Some things are better cast and some fabricated from what I can see. Casting is now an artisan type cost so used very selectively and fabricated by a laborer and thousands need a job. I am not sure if I will build more than 1 or 2 but a design that can be sold and easy to make and with luck will work well.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Sep. 21, 2014 9:31 pm

very nicely explained.

I wish you all the best and God's speed in the quest.

steve

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Sep. 22, 2014 9:29 am

Depending on what size/shape your working toward, the triangular grates and frame may already be available from one of the stove restoration shops.

I've spent time digging through Wilson's extensive stock of triangular grates that he keeps for patterns. And Barnstable, Stove Hospital, Bryants, and Stanley Iron Works also have many.

Woodman's Parts sells many new triangular grate bars and some grate frames to match.
http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/

Paul

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”