Automatic Transmission Shudder.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Mon. Sep. 22, 2014 9:05 am

I wanted to make a quick post and share my experience in the hopes of helping someone else. For about a year now my 2002 Honda Odyssey has suffered from what they call transmission shudder. I wasn't even sure it was the transmission. Often times a bad motor mount can cause a similar issue. On the recommendation of my mechanic, I tried a product called Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fixx. The fluid comes in a small 2-ounce tube and you pour it into your transmission. I did this on Saturday, and so far have not felt a single shudder. Normally, the car would have thirty to forty shudders on my commute to work which required me to feather the throttle back and forth to make it stop. This process was not only annoying but the shudder was potentially damaging to the car.

So, long story short, if anyone is experiencing a similar issue or looking to prevent the shudder from ever happening, please try Shudder Fixx before spending three thousand dollars on a transmission rebuild.

http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-250/Dr.+Tranny+Instan ... udder+Fixx

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Mon. Sep. 22, 2014 9:10 am

I've never been a fan of the "mechanic-in-a-can" products, but for transmissions it can save you some money by kicking the can down the road.

I had an '85 Monte Carlo in my 20's that never shifted into second gear. I put so much of that additive in there I think that's all that was in the tranny! Drove it daily for 2 years though, and took trips to NYC and the mountains of northern NH without fail. Eventually I lost 1st, 4th, & reverse. Drove it another week like that until I got enough cash for another car. :lol:

When I drove it to the junkyard, the owner didn't want to give me $100! Deal was, if you can drive it there, they'd give you $100 - had to argue a bit, but a deals a deal! He caved, but bitched that he'd never see his money "out of that thing" , LOL! :lol:

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Sep. 22, 2014 9:11 am

A simple fluid change would probably cure it as well. Worked for me on our Honda Accord.

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Mon. Sep. 22, 2014 9:13 am

I was always told that when you start having tranny issues that you should leave the fluid alone - draining it could open a can of worms. I guess that applies to the high mileage junks I used to always drive back in the day ....

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Mon. Sep. 22, 2014 9:22 am

Please remember that this is the notorious transmission that plagued the Honda Odyssey's from 1999 to 2002. I have the transmission fluid changed every three years by the same mechanic that recommended the Shudder Fixx. If it were not for the transmission problem, Consumer Reports predicted that the second-generation Honda Odyssey might have been the most reliable vehicle ever built. This includes competition such as the Toyota Corolla and Honda Accord for example.

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Mon. Sep. 22, 2014 9:25 am

Ahh ok so this is a known issue. If the tranny guy recommended it, then I'd have to go with it ... so long as he's got a good local reputation.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Mon. Sep. 22, 2014 9:54 am

I had an Oldsmobile Bravada that would shudder when turning at low speed. It was a well-known issue and the GM service bulletin addressing the issue recommended changing the transfer case fluid with some high priced GM lube and sure enough that fixed the shudder. This has nothing to do with the Honda but the point is it makes some kind of difference what type of fluid is in there.

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”