Chipped for real power

.JPG | 92.1KB | 100_0400.JPG
100_0397.JPG

Oh yeah

.JPG | 136.5KB | 100_0397.JPG
100_0396.JPG

Got to tell the world

.JPG | 130.3KB | 100_0396.JPG
An asthmatic friend once told me... Simon, when you can't breathe nothing else matters.

You might consider going a little further. The 7.3 International engine has designed with bigger intakes and exhaust but the EPA noise regs killed it just before launch. You have now helped the inspiration but if your exhaust is stock it is still strangled.

http://www.xtremediesel.com/search.aspx?manufactu ... tegory=176

I put on the GB SS exhaust (no need for the twin) and what a difference that made. I also put on the engine brake which I use rarely but down the Delaware Gap with 15,000# on it's a$$ it's incredible, just incredible. I don't think you need that one as you don't have the hills. Of course, now it's breathing right you can chip it and then the truck has wings but that is just not necessary as there is plenty of pressure stock.

It's a big expense but you never know if GB has a special and whether there are good knock offs at a time when you decide to change your exhaust.

None of this is required and if your happy as you are then great. Warning, like coal stoves this can get to be addicting and it's a lot cheaper than a new truck. I'm just a 7.3 lunatic. Stay sane, do not read anymore of my ravings buy coal instead. Can you tell I'm in love. I did not show the bodywork as that baby gets beaten to death - not pretty but no rust at all as it is in Florida every winter earning it's keep. The tub over the wheel has a hole nearly the size of your fist all thanks to Shelley. Of course, that was my fault too as I stupidly left a gate post attached to the main entrance gate. I said nothing more about that ever as the only way to win an argument here is to die.

Attachments

100_0398.JPG

Love those gauges - HD tranny

.JPG | 105.1KB | 100_0398.JPG

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Sep. 03, 2014 6:10 am

With all of those improvements up front have you ever had any issues with the rear axle? At some point you reach a power level that will overheat the rear axle during heavy towing.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Sep. 03, 2014 8:32 am

If I was in the Rockies all day then yes. The occasional Appalachian climb is all we do here on the East coast. So where is the beef? Great MPG and easy operation. I run in OD and it just never changes down as the power band is so good. So lower RPM, it's just appears so easy for that truck and with ten years experience now, super low maintenance costs. Dexter trailer axles get new magnets every other year and they get carefully adjusted for load every trip. You hardly know anythings back there. So carefully does it once you potentially are loaded for bear.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Sep. 03, 2014 2:09 pm

Rob R. wrote:With all of those improvements up front have you ever had any issues with the rear axle? At some point you reach a power level that will overheat the rear axle during heavy towing.
No.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Sep. 03, 2014 4:26 pm

He's still thinking of his bulldozer.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Sep. 03, 2014 8:56 pm

coalnewbie wrote:He's still thinking of his bulldozer.
Actually I was thinking of the differentials I have seen with cooked gear oil and failed bearings. Just because your current power level/payload/usage pattern hasn't overheated the gear lube doesn't mean you should mock me for asking about it.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Sep. 03, 2014 8:58 pm

Just because your current power level/payload/usage pattern hasn't overheated the gear lube doesn't mean you should mock me for asking about it.
Rob, Rob, Rob ease up buddy. Soon coal burning season will be upon us and we won't be seeking other entertainment. :D In fact I will now get an oil analysis done as I believe in them, thx for pointing it out.

OK, so let's see where this leads, replacing that stuff on a dually could get very expensive and it is something I have not considered.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.p ... sts/706474

So are we on a new thread Rob? Perhaps first just draining smelling and looking. Has anyone heard of Schaeffer oils.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/gear-oils-lubricants.html

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Thu. Sep. 04, 2014 12:03 am

There's guys out there getting insane power levels running through stock rear ends without an issue. I'm sure if you do a few reverse drops on the highway at 75mph that may shock a few things back there ... :D ... but if you run some Amsoil or something close in there, & drive reasonably normally, you'd be surprised at what they can handle. My brother's truck that he bought from dad, who bought it brand new back in the late fall of '01, now has well over 200k miles on it. The body drops pieces of itself wherever he goes, but that 7k lb. D-max with all the mods will still pull 3 g's thru the stock rear end. 8-) Seat of the pants tells me 800 ft.lbs. at least ...

Although I can't speak for Chrysler products. My buddy just blew the rear in his '02 Ram 1500 5-spd. 4x4 gasser! :roll: Cost him $1,800 too, since there's none left in boneyards ... because they ALL blew up! :shock:

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Sep. 04, 2014 1:35 am

Thank you Smitty, the voice of the master mechanic.... and so I drive on.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Sep. 04, 2014 5:23 am

I split this discussion off from the first thread to try and keep that discussion on topic.
Has anyone heard of Schaeffer oils.
Schaeffers makes excellent products, I have used a variety of their products for years. As for oil analysis, it is a great tool, but on a pickup differential the cost of the analysis is close to the cost of the lubricant. You would be better off to just change the lubricant than to have it tested and be told to change it. If you ever step the power or load up a little more and find evidence that things are getting too hot, the 2008+ diesel Super Duty's all got a finned aluminum cover for improved cooling. It is about $50 and an easy upgrade for the older trucks.

Yes Smitty, the trucks can take a lot of abuse. My point wasn't that the axle would instantly blow up if you tow, my point was that if you are running greater-than-stock power levels and towing at rated (or greater) capacity for long distances (or grades), you should be mindful of the differential (and transmission!) temperature. Snapping parts from the torque and overheating are two different things. I've exploded the ring gear in my Camaro with sticky tires and repeated launches at the drag strip, but the gear oil probably never got over 100F. I've also seen the paint burned off the differential cover on a 3500HD after pulling a John Deere tractor on a gooseneck trailer through the Adirondacks.

Just getting it hot once in a while isn't going to cause things to grenade, but if you routinely run it HOT and run the truck a long time, you will eventually see an effect. In many cases you may just need to change the gear oil more frequently due to oxidation, or use a higher quality lubricant.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Thu. Sep. 04, 2014 9:38 am

I hear what you're saying - towing will get those suckers HOT! Running a high quality gear lube is CRITICAL in that situation. I run Amsoil Severe Gear in my Silverado, since I don't like slowing down ... even with 8k lbs. in tow. ;) So far, so good. Running a finned aluminum diff. cover would help in those situations too.

Schaffer .... I always thought that stuff was beer! :woot:

Attachments

beer-schaefer.jpg
.JPG | 76.4KB | beer-schaefer.jpg

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Sep. 21, 2014 4:06 am

Oh Smitty, you are a card.

I did go further than mentioned with this truck if anybody cares to follow this. Obviously, few coalies seem much to care about tuning this potential monster but for the record ..... Try an Xtremediesel compressor wheel - now that wakes up the monster more. Not that expensive. I could not do this myself so my mechanic friend Kevin did it as I watched but it did not seem hard. Now I notice somebody has now done a fairly good Youtube on this:

So when the engine can breathe in AND breathe out, then and only then can you do things like chip it and still pass an emissions test. Otherwise when you wind up the chip dial all you do is get black smoke. However, again chipping is a last straw and I doubt if you need extra pressure. Now I can get black smoke but from the tires.

I'm an old fart not a racer and the reason I struggle with this one is all Ford diesels after this are junk. All this just to meander down the road?? Yes, but with 15,000# on it's a$$ (illegal I know) it still gets 15 to the gallon and it does not even know my horse trailer is there. My one little exception is driving on Route 84 from Newburgh to Fairfield CT up that 1000' hill (a trip I do regularly), a stomp on the pedal is a lot of fun. Cleans out the carbon and warns me if the intake filter is getting blocked. Too much black smoke tells me I need to pay attention to that Bullydog intake and that is my marker that the engine need attention.

So NM, let's tune some more and I bet you can challenge the only police cruiser in Arostoock County (a newly acquired Ford Model T) to a cannonball run. :D You need to watch it as that is a reliable police cruiser and good for 45 mph.

HAAHAHAHAHAHA, I slay myself. I am such a riot.

PS Hmmmm, I know where there is an Excursion 7.3 in Northern Florida. Zero rust and going for a song........ Now what could I do about that terrible handling, it's a pig to drive down the road but what an iconic car and I would use that one to pull a smaller trailer from day one (8000#), bumper pulls are useless after that. SMITTY help?????

Great chit carrying car for a horse show and I bet I could carry a Glenny #8 in the back too. HMMMMMM. Broke horse farmers are always searching for a cheap solution.

northernmainecoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Nut/Stove

Post by northernmainecoal » Mon. Sep. 22, 2014 11:08 am

Truck is still running good :D I need to put the 4" exhaust on at some point...might as well wait until what's on there needs to be replaced.
We'll be hauling our 5th wheel down to Fryeburg fair next week, that'll give me a chance to really see how the new intake functions.

Police cruiser?!? We took care of that problem the minute the town thought it was a good idea

Attachments

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Sep. 22, 2014 11:25 am

We'll be hauling our 5th wheel down to Fryeburg fair next week, that'll give me a chance to really see how the new intake functions.
Hey, I think Skip (Wilson) Mull is there, obviously it's a big deal In Maine. Great to hear about your truck. I hope your nice policeman was not in it at the time.

northernmainecoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Nut/Stove

Post by northernmainecoal » Mon. Sep. 22, 2014 11:30 am

The largest gathering of oxen in New England, who wouldn't want to go toothy
How long have you had the new compressor wheel on?

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”