Does the Fitting I Need Exist?

Boots
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham SFB 101 (sold)

Post by Boots » Fri. Jul. 11, 2014 5:55 pm

I am planning the install of my Keystoker Ka6 and the supply tapping is 1-1/2" FPT. I want to run 1-1/2" out to my supply header, Great right? well, not so fast... in the 1-1/2" tapping is a 1-1/2" X 1-1/4" reducer bushing that internally is threaded all the way through and has a 1-1/4" nipple threaded into the bottom side. Keystoker tells me I must use their drop tube for my instillation. What are my options around this? does their exist a fitting that will thread into this 1-1/2" tapping and extend into the water jacket but still allow the full flow of a 1-1/2" pipe? What is this drop tube for, I speculate that it is to prevent pulling air that may be between the top of the water and the water jacket. I do have access to a great machinist, Maybe I could have him boar out the stop in a copper 1-1/2" male adapter and just extend the supply pipe a couple of inches into water jacket.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Jul. 11, 2014 7:49 pm

The current configuration is to trap air bubbles in the top of the boiler, which should make their way to the compression tank or air vent...whichever you have installed in that particular tapping. If you can install an air scoop in the supply line coming out of the boiler, you don't need to worry about the dip tube.

With that said, why do you think you need 1.5" piping? In most installations, 1.25" is adequate to move the BTU's from a KA-6.

Boots

Post by Boots » Sat. Jul. 12, 2014 12:19 pm

Rob,
Thanks for the advice. My thinking behind the 1-1/2" hedders is for worst case. Meaning if all of my zones call for heat the required flow rate would be greater than 1-1/4" would supply. I do have the oil burner option on my keystoker and I think it is rated a little higher on oil than it is on coal.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Jul. 16, 2014 12:14 pm

That 1-1/2' pipe will move 240,000 btu/Hr for you. :!: :!: :!:
I'd imagine your K6 would drop temp real fast when pumps are pulling 240,000 btu/Hr. out of it. :o
pipe_capacity.png
.PNG | 417KB | pipe_capacity.png
For many more charts and informative hydronic and steam systems reading please see this links:

http://www.comfort-calc.net/documents/charts-and-graphs.cfm

http://www.comfort-calc.net/documents/general-hydronics.cfm

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Jul. 16, 2014 4:34 pm

There is a reason for the reducing bushing, install it as Keystoker recommends.

Boots

Post by Boots » Wed. Jul. 23, 2014 5:04 pm

I have decided to make my headers 1-1/4" and use Keystokers dip tube bushing. My only other question (right now) is, Keystoker recommends a bypass loop, I intend to install a 1" bypass loop between my 1-1/4" supply and return piping but in their diagram they are pumping toward the boiler with the bypass between the pump and boiler, I intend to pump away. To do this correctly I should install the pump beyond the introduction of the bypass loop in the supply piping, correct?

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Wed. Jul. 23, 2014 6:34 pm

Yes and make sure that you put a full port valve in the by-pass ;)

Boots

Post by Boots » Wed. Jul. 23, 2014 8:04 pm

waldo lemieux wrote:Yes and make sure that you put a full port valve in the by-pass ;)
Thats the plan... :D

Sleeper735
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 105 DV
Coal Size/Type: Rice- Reading Anthracite

Post by Sleeper735 » Sat. Sep. 27, 2014 8:40 pm

What size pump do you plan to use. Pump and piping must be sized correct. Also the other thing is even if you drop that to 1 1/4. Or even 1 inch it will still be fine because it isn't going to cause any friction loss it isn't just about the size there is a lot more than just one fitting.

Boots

Post by Boots » Sun. Sep. 28, 2014 1:20 pm

Sleeper735 wrote:What size pump do you plan to use. Pump and piping must be sized correct. Also the other thing is even if you drop that to 1 1/4. Or even 1 inch it will still be fine because it isn't going to cause any friction loss it isn't just about the size there is a lot more than just one fitting.
I used a Grundfos Alpha, variable speed pump. I ended up just using the factory supplied bushing with the drop tupe installed and plumbed to and from my headders with 1-1/4" copper. I installed a 1" bypass loop with a full port ballvalve so I could throttle the flow. Ive been burning for 3 weeks now, only calls for heat are at night. So far so good!

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”