Squire Lumber Is Out of Nut Coal!!

Vinmaker

Post by Vinmaker » Tue. Sep. 30, 2014 10:01 am

Called Squire lumber and they are out of Nut coal. I ordered back in August and they do not have any. They said a truck is due.

I hope this coal shortage does not last too long. I am beginning to understand what the Doomsday Preppers have been saying all along. :)

Vin.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Tue. Sep. 30, 2014 11:39 am

Don't go jumpin' off any tall building yet many of the coal suppliers are having a hard time due to people stocking up for the season. I'm fortunate that most folks up here are still hooked on pellets and cord wood...have a back up supplier or 2 for these times.

Vinmaker

Post by Vinmaker » Tue. Sep. 30, 2014 1:18 pm

The shortage is so severe they took the coal off of the web site. Thank god they are not taking new orders. I'll give them two more weeks and then ask for my money back or do a charge back by contacting Visa directly and say they never fulfilled their part of the bargain.

It's gonna be hard to start looking for coal now so late in the season.

This shortage is gonna drive prices through the roof.

Vin.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Tue. Sep. 30, 2014 1:45 pm

Vin,

Try these guys. I called a few minutes a go and they have 15, 2400lb pallets of Blashack nut on hand. I paid $1447 for 9600lbs (4 pallets) delivered, back in late August.

http://www.mckenneyelectric.com/

Also, as of 6 PM last night, the Southwick Mass. Tractor Supply had 1 full pallet of nut.

Cheers,
Scott

Vinmaker

Post by Vinmaker » Tue. Sep. 30, 2014 2:50 pm

Hey Thanks Scott.

They are a bit away from me and I will jump at this soon if I cannot find anything closer. I am just beginning to realize we have a shortage of coal developing. I just called a place I used to order coal from and they are all out as well. I switched from them to Squire to save on delivery costs. So far Squire has been good but they are hit with this shortage just as much as I am.

I need to keep my family warm and I will go elsewhere if they cannot get me the product I need.

Tractor Supply does not deliver so I will have to go pick it up. I think I will begin doing that this week. I can fit about 600lbs in the back of the SUV. I figure I can spend a day running back and forth to get a quick 1,000 lbs to start me off.

I always hear of the wood pellets being out but I have never heard of coal being is short supply. Talk about a rude wake up call. I am definitely gonna order a lot earlier next time and order more as well. I sure got caught with my pants down this time.

Vin.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"

Post by scalabro » Tue. Sep. 30, 2014 3:27 pm

The TSC in Southwick will deliver. I spoke with them last night. I'd get on the Mckenney electric deal though. And next year let's look into splitting a tractor trailer load of bagged. Dave at Mckenney told me everyone bought early and in larger amounts this year due to last years winter being so cold.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Sep. 30, 2014 3:37 pm

IN my opinion, August is kinda late to order coal. Especially if its a big amount that you plan to last the whole season. Call in your order at the end of the burning season, like in late May. That way yer first on the list. That's how I do mine. I save part of my tax refund to buy coal. Thanks Uncle Sam..

:rimshot:

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Tue. Sep. 30, 2014 3:44 pm

That's exactly what I'm going to to in late April 2015!

Normy
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Normy » Tue. Sep. 30, 2014 5:41 pm

Bulk or bagged, the good thing about getting coal later in the season is it's washed, wet and the dust stays down. I get alot of dust at burn season when I buy bulk in the early summer.

I also like squire lumbers prices and particular rice coal brand they sell ( bought only bagged from them)

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Sep. 30, 2014 7:58 pm

Yeah but N, don't matter much about washed, wet or anything else if it's not there. A hose & water faucet would take care of all that if you're inclined to worry about it. ;) I also buy bulk & don't have dust problems unless I go goofy with my shoveling/moving it into buckets

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Tue. Sep. 30, 2014 9:47 pm

I picked up 2 pallets of nut there for my ol' man back on the 17th. When I walked in and asked for 2 pallets of nut, the woman says "I don't think we have any nut". I almost lost it, because it's a bit of a drive for me to get out there, and hauling a 2k lb. trailer that distance for nothing costs money. I had just talked to them a week before, and they never mentioned a shortage of nut. One guy behind the counter got on the radio to the guy out back, and the guy out back came back saying they had 5 or 6 pallets. Dodged a big bullet there! Lesson learned - CALL FIRST no matter what they told you several days prior....

I figured there must've been a truck on it's way or something - never expected this to be an issue weeks later! :o Glad I've got a stoker now ...

I ordered way late this year. After Squire went up $25 a ton over last season, I was searching (in vain) for another supplier. After waiting for one guy who promised "the best deal" :roll: , and then turned out to be $20 a ton MORE than Squire, I cancelled and went to Squire after all. :x If I had ordered right at the end of the season I'd have saved $20 a ton. Normally the price drops over the summer .... and my gamble bit me right in the ass!! :mad:

Vinmaker

Post by Vinmaker » Wed. Oct. 01, 2014 10:21 am

To me this is simple retail. You buy it and resell it to someone.

They took my money but then do not even have the product. I am so disappointed in them. Can you imagine if you needed some lumber for a project and they don't have any because they did not order it?

I have recommended them to people who have begun to do business with them both for coal and wood pellets. I do not think I can do that anymore. How do you play around with peoples heat like that? People freeze without heat.

I wish there were more suppliers around. I always thought people viewed coal as dirty and did not want to use it. That meant more for me. But this shortage has really opened up my eyes to how much we really live on the knifes edge. When you only have a few suppliers, you are really at there mercy.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Wed. Oct. 01, 2014 10:23 am

Yeah that sucks! I'd be pissed too. I hope you've let them know that your not happy ... they need to know they dropped the ball here.

Normy
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Normy » Wed. Oct. 01, 2014 12:47 pm

I guess they can't handle a volume increase? They either don't have the room to store the increase or they can't afford to tie up the money?

Why they took your money and can't deliver almost sounds like they got caught with their pants down or they really dropped the ball?

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Normy

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Oct. 01, 2014 4:12 pm

Go buy somewhere else? Since its a heating fuel, I think its kinda implied that a time limit is there concerning the order.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”