Does Anyone Know What Model Harman Coal/Wood Insert Is?

timandkellyplus10
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console III
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini-split ductless heat pump

Post by timandkellyplus10 » Tue. Sep. 30, 2014 10:22 pm

Hello all. My brother in law bought a house with this stove insert already installed. He does not want it and I am interested in it. He has no information as to the model, BTU's and so forth. I was wondering if anyone recognizes what this is, and the approximate age, and what it may be worth. It appears to be in great shape, and it has a huge fire box with 5 shaker grates. I know it is a Harman insert that burns wood or coal. Could this be used as a free standing stove? Thanks in advance for any information that you guys could provide. See attached photos.

Attachments

photo(2).JPG
.JPG | 133.8KB | photo(2).JPG
photo(1).JPG
.JPG | 139.8KB | photo(1).JPG
photo.JPG
.JPG | 118.9KB | photo.JPG

snuffy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250 & Mark III backup
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by snuffy » Tue. Sep. 30, 2014 11:02 pm

Easy - Early model SF 250.
Regards,
Snuffy

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Wed. Oct. 01, 2014 9:43 am

That's a nice one! Never seen that particular one before. That thing will HEAT. :yes:

timandkellyplus10
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console III
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini-split ductless heat pump

Post by timandkellyplus10 » Wed. Oct. 01, 2014 11:02 am

Thanks! I'm having a hard time locating information on the older sf250, but it appears to be on the order of 110,000 btu's. The owner told me to make him an offer. I wonder what this stove cost new back in the day, and what would be a good offer? I'm thinking of getting this to replace my Alaska stoker, or just keep it on hand as an alternate source of heat in an extended power outage. Also wondering what size coal this burns, and if it could be used as a free standing stove since it is a fireplace insert.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Oct. 01, 2014 11:14 am

Well TK+10 if you married his sister or he married your's I would say he owes you one! :P On a serious note that baby will burn 'nut size and bigger or a mix of the two and it looks like it will hold 80 lbs of more. Like previously stated that baby will give you tons of heat. In regards to a free standing unit you will need to pull it out and check out the back which you will be doing as you and your brother in law move it to your house. :)

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Wed. Oct. 01, 2014 12:07 pm

Yeah Harman models are usually advertised as being able to use pea, nut, or stove coal.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Oct. 01, 2014 12:20 pm

Harman website says there should be a plate on it somewhere (varies with model) that will tell you what it is and what is rated.
Some are inside the hopper, some under the stove, some on back. They don't list specifically where on the SF 250.

Now that you know the model, a call to Harman or a dealer might be able to tell you more.

Paul

snuffy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250 & Mark III backup
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by snuffy » Wed. Oct. 01, 2014 11:15 pm

Sunnyboy,

I use a SF250 that's how I recognized it so quickly - the newer models are almost the same except for the door handles. The total BTU is 120,000. I use nut in mine and it heats 3600sf effectively and I have never really had it cranked full out but came close when the temps get about -12. I also have a Harman Mark III in storage for some future use but I like the SF 250 much better. I never had it belch like the Mark III would do if I overloaded to quickly. If you can get it I think you'll really like it.
Snuffy

P.S. I use about 6 tons of oiled nut a year.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Thu. Oct. 02, 2014 12:30 am

timandkellyplus10 wrote:Thanks! I'm having a hard time locating information on the older sf250, but it appears to be on the order of 110,000 btu's. The owner told me to make him an offer. I wonder what this stove cost new back in the day, and what would be a good offer? I'm thinking of getting this to replace my Alaska stoker, or just keep it on hand as an alternate source of heat in an extended power outage. Also wondering what size coal this burns, and if it could be used as a free standing stove since it is a fireplace insert.
For a brother-in-law? 2 cases of PBR ? If he helps move it ...

Private sale? I would offer $250 as an initial offer and go to $450 if needed.

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Thu. Oct. 02, 2014 2:23 pm

Buying and selling to family members is a slippery slope. If your brother in law then assume he married your sister. If me I would figure out what you can afford and what is a fair price. If offering them less than what it is worth let them know that they might get X more with the right person but this is what you can afford today. Short changing a brother in law is short changing your sister at the same time. If they sell it to you for 300 and find out it is worth 600 or more are you ok with the way they will look at you and rate your worth as a valued family member? Life is too short for that nonsense. Everyone gets to eat especially family, not trying to preach but the way I was brought up. At 62 and hoping for 20 if hypertension does not take me out of the game but a different subject for a different day.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”