New to Coal Burning, Buying Alaskan Kast Console III

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Oct. 04, 2014 9:32 am

Again, ideally you want a clay lined flue, if that is too expensive or not possible then the SS might be your best option.

No matter what you do be wary of the galvanized liner, that may last a few seasons but once it starts to deteriorate it could come down in large pieces and block the flue pipe.

DieselF350

Post by DieselF350 » Sat. Oct. 04, 2014 10:25 am

Do you think the galvanized would last a year?

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Sat. Oct. 04, 2014 10:57 am

As long as it is straight pipe, it will probably last. That said, when installing your new stove in that flue setup, it is imperative you get yourself a manometer. That way you can monitor the draft at anytime. This will alert you to any change in the pipe.

You will also need to keep checking that pipe for signs of deterioration and failure.

If possible, I would have an experienced chimney professional inspect your existing chimney to see if you even need that pipe at all. If your existing chimney drafts too much, you can always adjust that through the use of a baro damper.

I was one of those guys who had a SS liner installed that failed. And when it failed, the company would not warrant it because THEY did not come out yearly to clean and inspect it. The grade of SS that we used was the best made for burning coal and it only lasted a few years. The failure was it collapsing in on itself almost blocking the flue. Through the use of the manometer, I was able to see just how little draft I had. A true professional (and not one who tries to just sell liners) came out and inspected mine telling me that my existing flue was good to go without any liner. And it has been working fine for 6 years since the liner failure and removal.

Rick

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Sat. Oct. 04, 2014 2:22 pm

Diesel,
Don't know where you're located, but there is a way to get a clay lined flue. They put a huge baloon(condom) in the chimney, and pour the clay liner around the outside. After it cures, deflate the baloon. I think the company is from Massachusetts. Lots of old crooked chimneys in New England. You might be better with this method than the galvanized flue. Good luck.
Cheers

DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Post by DePippo79 » Sat. Oct. 04, 2014 3:03 pm

One trade name is Thermocrete. Matt

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”