Keystoker 90 Outside Airkit?

lamina1982
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: keystoker econo 90
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lamina1982 » Fri. Oct. 17, 2014 5:51 am

Been running the keystoker 90 econo for a week now, was a new install. Its in a 1977 doublewide. Seems to be doing ok but temps been up so basically just idling. Ive been reading a bunch on outside airkits and seems everyone has a diff opinion on these. Manufacturer said was not necessary. Seems lots say a must for manufactured housing ...installer didnt think necessary either. Seems plenty of "air inlets" with bathroom exhaust fan opening and range hood etc. Just wo dering if really needed or not.
Thanks

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Fri. Oct. 17, 2014 8:04 am

My opinion is if the house is tight it is necessary. There have been numerous threads about poor heat output from a coal unit and lack of make up air was the culprit. Heat output improved by cracking a nearby window or putting in a vent to get more air into the area where the coal unit was. I didn't have that issue so I don't have first hand experience there.

Where I do have first hand experience is if the house is not tight. In my case it helps to have outside air piped in to 'semi control' the infiltration to go straight to the combustion of the coal rather than cool off the rest of the basement while it comes in on the opposite side of the room and meanders over to the combustion of the coal. I noticed a difference in the temp of the basement and also the temp of the floors upstairs after piping the air to the combustion blower.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Oct. 17, 2014 8:05 am

If you do notice bath fan and/or range hood all fighting for the same air as the coal stove at the same time, then add the outside air kit. (OAK) :)

WNYRob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker Koker controlled with CoalTrol

Post by WNYRob » Fri. Oct. 17, 2014 8:29 am

Lots of opinions about outside air. In terms of an actual outside air "kit". As far as I know Keystoker doesn't have one, most are homemade jobs. I used 3" conduit with a short flex line running from the conduit to the combustion blower opening. Some have used dryer vent material. One benefit in my mind is that with the opening of the venting near the blower, the incoming air keeps my stoker gear unit nice and cool also. It probably doesn't make much of a difference with anything, but it is peace of mind for me.

2004blackwrx
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Looking to buy one

Post by 2004blackwrx » Fri. Oct. 17, 2014 1:17 pm

If im not mistaken an outside air kit allows the air used from combustion to be drawn directly from the outside instead of the house itself. If there is no outside air kit then the air for combustion will be drawn from the house. Due to the pressure differential this creates, more outside air will be drawn in through cracks in the house. This could lead to it feeling drafty. So you may want to wait to see how your house feels before doing anything.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Oct. 17, 2014 6:30 pm

lamina1982 wrote:Manufacturer said was not necessary. Seems lots say a must for manufactured housing ...installer didnt think necessary either.
In my opinion, Its not necessary unless there is a chimney draft problem. If the chimney is struggling to draft then this can be a solution. Otherwise, it makes for additional air infiltration that's really not necessary... :)

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”